Lessons I must be a slow learner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

0.5cuft/min is not a very high RMV, btw. I’m a tall and somewhat athletic guy, with big lung capacity. I dont see myself ever getting much below 0.5, even when I hardly move at all, but I know smaller females with half that RMV.

If you’re talking about RMV under exertion there‘s only a few solutions:
- Don’t exert yourself
- Improve cardio

Sorry to continue the RMV debate, back to topic…

Yes! If you need more gas, bring more gas!

Yes! If you need more gas, bring more gas!
That was apparently the solution for me. When I know I have more than enough gas, I seem to relax more, and my RMV is lower than when I know I have just enough gas. I bring more, yet use less. Go figure.

Hi @JohnN

Your RMV is not high, it is a little below average. Everyone's RMV goes up with exertion, unclear if yours goes up more than others. Everyone's RMV goes up in cold water, equipment and simply being cold.

If you can improve your physical fitness to decrease the effect of exertion, consider doing so. You know your gas consumption, carry enough gas. For a recent, relatively challenging liveaboard, I gave average depths, dive conditions and dive times to help people judge their gas requirements. The boat supplied both AL80s and AL100s.
I believe every liveaboard I've been on has offered larger cylinders upon request.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom