I made a mess...but I finally did it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I often use a FredT plate and a V-weight with my Al twins. But the V-weight sets the plate a little too forward. Because of this, reaching my valves...especially when in my drysuit...has been more difficult than it needs to be.

Well it's been like that for too long. So, today, I finally got around to fixing the problem.

First, I marked the V-weight where it came in contact with the bands. Then, using a hacksaw, I cut the lead. After a lot of pounding on a wood chisel and after drilling the holes out to 9/16", my V-weight was ready.

Of course, my 11 pound V-weight is now a 10 pounder...but you're gonna have that... :crafty:

Check it out... The first pic shows the problem...the last pic shows the end result.

Stephen Ash:
I often use a FredT plate and a V-weight with my Al twins. But the V-weight sets the plate a little too forward. Because of this, reaching my valves...especially when in my drysuit...has been more difficult than it needs to be.

Well it's been like that for too long. So, today, I finally got around to fixing the problem.

First, I marked the V-weight where it came in contact with the bands. Then, using a hacksaw, I cut the lead. After a lot of pounding on a wood chisel and after drilling the holes out to 9/16", my V-weight was ready.

Of course, my 11 pound V-weight is now a 10 pounder...but you're gonna have that... :crafty:

Check it out... The first pic shows the problem...the last pic shows the end result.

Looks good. You might want to check the bolts for length? you wouldn't want a hole in your dry suit.

yah...I was wondering the same thing.

I don't feel 'em when I put it on my back...but they do look a little spooky!

...might be time to get the Dremel tool out...

Yep, you could lose some length off the bolt in the last pic ... but with a FredT plate you have some margin to play with due to the depth of the channel and the amount of bend in the plate. If you were using, say, a Koplin plate you'd be feeling that screw dig into your back for sure.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

'course...when I put the wing on I shorten the bolt by the width of a cromet or so...

I think I'll cut 'em back anyway...

Wierd...the plate ought fit without cuttin' the bolts...with or without a V-weight. Standard Highland bolts and bands...ya, know?

I wouldn't know ... I just use all-thread and cut to length. It's cheaper than buying bolts every time I need them. For about $1.50 you get a 3-foot length ... you can make a lot of bolts with that ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd just pick up a couple of bolts at the marine hardware store. For the $3 spent you could spend the time underwater.

Course I haven't dove for a week and am getting withdrawls. So, I may not be thinking clearly.

DrDuktayp

Just a thought but why don't you / didn't you bolt the Vee weight on the outside of the twinset and not between the BP and W.

Brian C

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom