I made $100 for flipping my light switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I was told I could save approximately $50 dollars a month by changing my light-bulbs to the Green Energy Saving bulbs. S'okay I get some. Happened to be near Walmart, a store I don't really care for but didn't want to waste gas tooling over to Target. Anywhoozle, it seems they make their own brand. I found later that theirs cost considerably less than the other brands.

Anyway, long story short, forget $50, I save nearly $100 on my electric bill this month.:jump: Cross my heart and hope to die.

I highly recommend that anyone who has been toying with the idea of changing their bulbs - get moving. The bulbs are a tad more expensive than regular bulbs if you go to Walmart but they pay for themselves in the first month. Do not go to Home Depot. I love that store but not the price they have on the bulbs :14:

So in the end I feel like someone gave me $100. I think I can get use to this.

Good for you Miss :)

A note: some of the complaints about those bulbs is that they are dimmer than a regular bulb.
The solution? ... get one in a higher wattage in those places that you really need the light ... I have a 34W in my desk work light and I love it, very bright, cooler .. no more being cooked by the 100w one that it replaced

Good for you Miss :)

A note: some of the complaints about those bulbs is that they are dimmer than a regular bulb.
The solution? ... get one in a higher wattage in those places that you really need the light ... I have a 34W in my desk work light and I love it, very bright, cooler .. no more being cooked by the 100w one that it replaced

They have changed a lot from those that originally came out. My kitchen is as bright as it ever was.

They also make them for recessed lighting now. And there's no funny tint to them anymore. The only ones I did not find were the "rods". So I still have the old one's in my son's bathroom.

This is my first bill where they were in use the entire time and I am tickled pink.

I have had them nearly two months now and so far so good.

Alright! Good news for your pocket and the environment!

If you're talking about compact fluorescent bulbs, which I assume you are as those are the most common "green bulbs" just keep in mind that when they do die, or break, they contain a small amount of mercury and should be disposed of properly, not just tossed in the trash.

As for the price, they are a tad more expensive, but they make up for it in the money you save in the long run. If price is what is keep some people away, just buy a few and replace your incandescent bulbs as they burn out.

Now, if you've already switched over to the CF bulbs, the next step is LEDs. They're quite a bit more expensive, but they save even more in power, last longer, are generally brighter and cleaner light, and don't contain any mercury.

I was going to buy some for outside on my garage but it said on the box they don't go with the photo eyes dust to dawn thing. I liked the idea of the 8000 hr burn time

Oddly, I can't find the Walmart brand bulbs I bought on the Walmart website :confused: I got them direct from the store and not online anyway I just wanted to give you guys a link to them. I did find this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7850182

Nick how does one dispose of this bulb once it does go?

Oddly, I can't find the Walmart brand bulbs I bought on the Walmart website :confused: I got them direct from the store and not online anyway I just wanted to give you guys a link to them. I did find this one: Great Value CFL Light Bulb: 13 Watt (60W Equiv), 4-Pk - Wal-Mart

Nick how does one dispose of this bulb once it does go?
I changed over most of my bulbs when I moved into my place. And not to be out-cheaped, I saved the old bulbs, which were still working and I'm going to put them back in when I move out.

I write the date on the bulb with a sharpie when I install the it so that I can see how long it lasted. Most are over 4 years old and still kicking.

When they die, they should be recycled. Some cities have places to take them and some stores will accept them- I think IKEA has bins to drop them off.

Lamp Recycle

While you are recycling, you can drop off batteries, cell phones, and ink jet cartridges at Best Buy Best Buy Community Relations

When they die, they should be recycled. Some cities have places to take them and some stores will accept them- I think IKEA and places like Best Buy have bins to drop them off.

Thanks DIE. I'll ask my recycle guys when they come on Monday if they take them.

Edit: cell phones go to battered women's shelter and cartridges get refilled. You know until you mentioned it, I forgot about those bins at best buy. Will have to keep that one in mind - good stuff.

Great post thanks for sharing! Just changed some bulbs last night and looking forward to the future.

Nice!

It just goes to show that those who try to claim that doing stuff "green" and thereby helping the climate out as well, costs too much money.

It doesn't. It mostly MAKES money. Since we got solar panels on the roof etc, our electric bill has been less than zero - they pay US now!

If a few light bulbs can save you $100....imagine what a few panels might do (especially in Florida!:D)

Back
Top Bottom