I lowered my Internet charges $12 a month just by asking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I just called AOL and asked - no problem. Since I have my DSL thru SBC, I was getting AOL for $14.95, but now it's 10.95 a month. That's enough to pay for my SB supporting membership - a much better cause. There was a 12 month contract required, but the penalty is only $19...!

I'd also lowered my SBC DSL service recently from $29.99 to $21.99, simply by calling and asking.

Make fun of Aol and Sbc, fine - I kinda' like Aol, and Sbc is the only Dsl service I can get where I am. Whichever you use, call and ask for a better deals.

These companies hope you won't ask, but if you do - they'll try to deal with you to keep you...!!

nature-smiley-015.gif

I always wondered who still uses A-O-smell... :D

Their CD's they always send out make decent coasters...

Edit: Why do you have two service providers? Seems funny to have DSL and pay AOL at the same time...

1RUSTYRIG:
I always wondered who still uses A-O-smell... :D

Their CD's they always send out make decent coasters...

Edit: Why do you have two service providers? Seems funny to have DSL and pay AOL at the same time...
Like I said...
Make fun of Aol and Sbc, fine - I kinda' like Aol, and Sbc is the only Dsl service I can get where I am. Whichever you use, call and ask for a better deals.
I started with Aol when I had to use dial-up.
angry-smiley-010.gif
I looked for others early one with easy to find local dial-up numbers traveling, but this big, slow company was easier to find, so I got used to them. If my office supplied cable fails while I'm sorta' working, Sbc does not have a dial-up connection in Plainview with a population of over 20,000. And still, even tho I've explored Yahoo - they have a few aspects I like - Unlimited mailbox size, user friendly photo album storage, etc. It's a matter of taste and pereferences I suppose, but I know a few others who have both.

mixed-smiley-014.gif

I've been using AOL for years. I like it. I have the same e-mail address that I've had for years and I think I'll check on the price. Thanks for the tip Don.

DandyDon:
If my office supplied cable fails while I'm sorta' working, Sbc does not have a dial-up connection in Plainview with a population of over 20,000. I know a few others who have both.

I also am very diligent when it comes to saving a few bucks, much to the chagrin of my LDS, and I suspect if I were you I would be wanting to save another $10.95 a month.

Seems odd you would have two ISPs. Does the office supplied cable fail often?

BTW for those not in the know, Aol does not offer a DSL service, instead they offer a mask over your existing DSL/Cable service. its wierd, but those AOL-aholics love it :wink:

HarryWhisman:
I also am very diligent when it comes to saving a few bucks, much to the chagrin of my LDS, and I suspect if I were you I would be wanting to save another $10.95 a month.

Seems odd you would have two ISPs. Does the office supplied cable fail often?
Yeah, the office cable sucks, but that's just one of the deals.

For me, I'll spend the $11-15 for what I want, just happier to have it for $11 instead of $15.

As the communications infrastructure gets more developed, and more competitive, the companies can afford to be cheaper, but only if asked. Ive done this for years for my cell phone customers.

Good for you Don! Want to do me a favor? Call SBC and have them run DSL out where I am please! There is no cable service in our area and no DSL so 28.8 dial up is the best I can get :pcangry:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Good for you Don! Want to do me a favor? Call SBC and have them run DSL out where I am please! There is no cable service in our area and no DSL so 28.8 dial up is the best I can get :pcangry:
Ber :lilbunny:
Been there, had to move to town. I was thinking about satelite, but the house was to much in need.

It's a good thing to like AOL, because they make it a total PITA to try to cancel. I've known a dozen people aside from myself who have practically had an anuerysm trying to get our accounts settled. They are a major rip-off artist!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom