I lost my buddy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dale, unless there was someone else there to report the viz, how were they to know how bad it was going to be? I know, around here, you can look at the water and know it's going to be bad, but not how bad. And we CERTIFY people in less than ten feet of viz, when we have to. If all the DIR divers in the PNW stayed out of the water when the visibility had the possibility of being very poor, we wouldn't dive much . . .

Perhaps you should but you probably won't like the suggestion they make, which would be to not dive in 1' of vis with your experience level. Ready to hear that?
Not necessarily ... I've done some extremely low-vis dives with my DIR friends before. Sometimes we even view it as good practice to keep our team skills sharp.

The key is to be on the same page before entering the water, proceed slowly, and pay attention. If someone decides to stop or turn, you signal your buddy(s) first ... then do it ... because otherwise, one kick and you're out of sight.

It's all in how important you take diving with a buddy to be.

You seem to be focusing on your buddies fault but I think you failed to show the appropriate situational awareness to realise that the buddy system, as you know it, was inadequate for the dive you were doing. You keep talking about the buddy system but all I can see is two divers taking the wrong toolbox into low/no vis conditions. You need a whole different wrench for that kind of diving.
This is true ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lynne, I doubt very much that you would agree that someone with 0-24 dives and a rusty diver should team up to do a dive in 1' vis or that any DIR diver worth their salt would advocate as much.

Reading the OP as it was written I am distiguishing between a well trained low vis team and relatively inexperienced divers (not a negative judgement) doing that dive. My advice to the former would be go for it. To the latter, call the dive for now and learn the proper techniques for low/no vis diving if it's important to you. The techniques aren't rocket surgery, as you and I know, but they are not the traditional "follow the leader" stuff either.

To further the discussion in a practical way:

I was first taught the "follow the leader" formation for buddy diving. The problem with that system is that the leader (who is usually the more experienced diver) receives more attention than the follower, who really should recieve it. In low vis conditions, should the follower stop or slow for any reason, with two or three fin kicks the leader swims out of visual range. The way to combat this is for the leader to look between their legs at the follower often but no diver is so attentive that they will do that every two or three fin kicks so the system is unreliable from that stand point alone.

It is also very hard for the follower to signal the leader in that formation. Lights won't work and banging on the tank is iffy at best. In the best case scenario the leader has to stop and turn for further communication to transpire

Touch contact also is a problem. If the follower wants to remain closer to the leader they risk getting their mask kicked off by the leader.

The "side by side" formation and the addition of strong primary lights solves most if not all of these issues. Divers can adjust their contact by moving closer and farther apart as the conditions dictate, coming as close as shoulder to shoulder if need be and can easily check on each other by simply turning their heads. It is also far easier for both divers to communicate with each other while swimming.

Using lights enhances this formation. Each diver trains their light on the space in front of them so that there are two light spots, side by side. Now the one diver need only see the light spot to know that the other diver is beside them. With a bit of practice one can tell how far away and from what angle the light spot originates. Signaling is also just a matter of crossing ones buddies light spot with your own. Some common signals are moving the light spot in a circle to indicate OK, a couple of slashes to draw general attention for more traditional hand signals and more rapid back and forth movements to signal an emergency. Some googling will provide some sources of light signals and their meanings.

There are other forms of buddy positioning (for photographers for example) that may differ but I'll leave it to someone else to describe them if they want.

Kasdeva,

You're obviously a very wise person as is evidenced by you're reflecting on your experience, seeking others views and deciding to seek further training.

And in my view you're correct to conclude that (i) you should have discussed conditions and you're buddy system in advance and (ii) you should have followed protocol and raised the alarm.

As suggested by others reply's, you should talk to your buddy about the events, the decisions you made and what you can both do better next time. It may be a difficult discussion but it is a necessary prerequisite to developing better planning and teamwork skills.

I am sorry that your adventures into diving did not go as planned. This is one of my biggest worries-getting seperated from my dive buddy. For a couple of reasons, my dive buddy is also my 12 yr old daughter.

Ten years ago, my buddy was my 15 year old son. Today, he is my best dive buddy - when I can get him to dive. Unfortunately, he ended up becoming a PADI Instructor at Israel's Red Sea - Warm water!!! Can't hardly get him to dive the cold waters of the Pacific Northwest.

Anyways, we never lose sight of each other. The most important "thing" to me is my son, and my son loves his Daddy. We anticipate each others thoughts and moves - it is really a joy to dive with him.

Also, look into being tethered to one another. My son and I never did this, but I would encourage you to explore it - especially in low-vis diving.

Diving with a loved one is wonderful. Keep diving together, and never let her out of your sight - especially don't let her love to dive in very warm water without you.

The point of all of this is diving with a regular buddy really is desirable, however it is not always possible - so be sure to go over all the "rules" before the dive. And don't forget the compass headings - I did once and, as the expert navigator, was leading us astray. :)

Dale, unless there was someone else there to report the viz, how were they to know how bad it was going to be? I know, around here, you can look at the water and know it's going to be bad, but not how bad. And we CERTIFY people in less than ten feet of viz, when we have to. If all the DIR divers in the PNW stayed out of the water when the visibility had the possibility of being very poor, we wouldn't dive much . . .

Yesterday it was 5-7 feet vis at Newport/Yaquina Bay South Jetty. 2 enjoyable dives that we would not have missed for anything. This is not unusual vis for us in the Pacific Northwest. I have to admit, though, buddy diving is a real challenge. On this particular dive, we agreed to come up after 1 minute if separated. However, last week we agreed to try really hard not to get separated, but since it was a "hunting trip"/crab dive, we agreed if we got separated chasing crabs, we would continue solo. It's important to discuss this as I don't want to be waiting and worrying topside while my buddy is having fun down below.

Our buddy skills have improved immensely, but I have taken to practicing solo skills and carrying a pony bottle. This is because I am the best buddy I'll have down there - especially in the poor vis PNW waters where it is so easy to lose a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom