I like Hollis F1 but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for fins that will last 20 years then there is only one answer. Buy the JetFins, find some boots that fit your feet as well as the JetFin pockets (maybe two pair :)) and then replace the rubber heel straps with spring straps. And just deal with the fact that they are heavy and are a negative in the water.

FWIW, I'm going to see how long I can use just the F1s this week, to see if they are a viable replacements to the Jets for me.

And, as always, YMMV.

Got 2 of them already with springs but I really want something lighter. Heck most of my fins are HEAVY! From the Apollos to the jets so I really want something that's easier to lug about.

SangP

I'm also looking at the Hollis F1. I've used Turtle fins for about five years now with OMS spring straps. I probably had 500+ dives on the pair when I jumped in off the boat yesterday and my right fin came off and was GONE! So now I'm fin shopping. Anyone used F1 fins next to Turtles???

Anyone know how the F1's bouyancy compares to the Jet fins? I dive tropics in shorts, rash guard, AL80 with Aluminum backplate with no weights, so there's no weight for me to move around. I'm currently diving with thick booties and mares aventi to help keep my feet up. I tried some jet fins and they just made it impossible for me to stay level they were so negative. Even with arms out and ankles up, it was a constant struggle to stay level.

Anyone know how the F1's bouyancy compares to the Jet fins? I dive tropics in shorts, rash guard, AL80 with Aluminum backplate with no weights, so there's no weight for me to move around. I'm currently diving with thick booties and mares aventi to help keep my feet up. I tried some jet fins and they just made it impossible for me to stay level they were so negative. Even with arms out and ankles up, it was a constant struggle to stay level.

You're like me, feet heavy. I found the oms slipstreams to be an easier fin to maintain trim. I've recently bought a pair of mares quattros n they're pretty good too if a bit long.

SangP

F1s are distinctly less negatively buoyant vs. the venerable JetFins.

Back
Top Bottom