I like Hollis F1 but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been looking for some time (including reading dozens of really useful threads on this forum) for a new pair of fins. I need something quite stiff, to be able to practice alternative propulsion techniques (inc. back kick etc.).

I have just sold my Mares Quattros (too long, too soft).

I have read only good things about the new Hollis F1. James Lapenta and a few other divers I highly respect for their knowledge and experience have recommended them. I like the design. Some people call them "a new, better (at least fit-wise) version of Jetfins".

I went today to the shop and... I was a bit surprised. They seemed not to be very stiff (much less than e.g. Tusa Tri-Ex). I could re-mould the shape of the end of the fin with my hands! They were also a bit longer than I expected.

Now - I must admit that my knowledge about fins is not very great. I wanted to ask you - are they really of comparable stiffness and performance to Jetfins? I dive in a wetsuit and regular F1 seemed to fit perfectly in the shop my 9 boots - I would prefer to avoid looking for the right size of jetfins (which as I remember is quite problematic) if I have nice Hollis at my LDS.

I would be grateful for confirmation that my experience with Hollis was OK and their stiffness and performance is in fact comparable to jetfins... I would prefer to avoid driving 250km to the nearest shop stocking Jetfins :/.

Best,
Theriel

Last edited:
Theriel,

The F1 fins are really good. I've had mine for about a month now and love them. While the ends of the fins are very flexible, the overall fin itself is very stiff. My understanding is that adding the flexible ends helps to increase the power delivered by the fin without sacrificing the fin's usefulness in alternative kicks.

If you LDS has a pair in stock see if they'll let you try them out in the pool before you buy. That way you could see for yourself if they will work for you.

As for me, they are by far the best fins I've ever owned and perfect for pushing a set of doubles, stage bottle, and other gear through a current and maneuvering inside wrecks.

The relative (using Jets as the benchmark) length and floppiness of the F1 surprised me, too. But they're very good fins. Like Jets, they're great for frog, back and helicopter maneuvers, but unlike Jets, you can flutter kick for longer than a few minutes without feeling like your legs are going to drop off!

The one disadvantage to them is their tendancy to split along the foot pocket. My SO is currently on his third pair in as many years. Perhaps he got three in a bad batch, I don't know; but it's been an issue. Fortunately, Hollis have been really great about replacing them.

I have never compared them to Jets. I would love to get a set of jets to try. I'm not going to buy em though. I use my F1's and old style Aqualung Blades depending on what boots I'm wearing. The F1's are not a super stiff fin like the Jets are said to be. They are softer than my rockets and yet stiffer than the Blades. My F1's are also not the production model. They are one of the last sets of the prototypes that went out. The compound in the production model is, I am told, slightly different. I have not seen the new ones. They are not little fins it is true. But the true test of performance is in the water. While they may appear to be "soft" the way they channel the water works and works well. I like that they give the performance of a paddle yet for me and my style of kicking they are easier on my legs than some splits I've tried.

No experience with the splitting issue. Had mine since Jan/ Feb of 2008 with over 150 dives, 100 hours in the pool in temps from 38-90 degrees. No issues.

I just tried Hollis F1's with DUI rock boots last week end.
I was diving twin 130's in fresh water.
Although very comfortable and easy to don and doff I still prefer my Jets.

I use my ankles a lot when maneuvering in tight spaces and I like the feedback I get from
my Jets.

As far as general finning they perform pretty well.
I would use them without hesitation for most of the diving I do.

I give them a good note but still prefer my jets.

I am looking to get a pair to do a demo on the F1's. I have held them in my hand and put them on my foot at the store and they seem like they will be a great fin. I currently Dive the turtles, my G/F dives the Jets. For me they move very well but I too am intersted in tryin them out in the water.

Here is a couple post's from another forum when I posed a similiar question

Hollis F1 Fin Review CalvinTang.com

Thanks! I imagine that if I could find a pair of Jets that fit me, I'd probably still be diving them today. But I couldn't. The F-1s are becoming popular in this neck of the woods. They may not be right for everyone, but I love mine. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep my turtles as back-ups, or sell them.

I have always used Turtles for drysuit and Jets for wetsuit. Just made the switch to Hollis F1's and have not dived them enough to decide if I like them more than the Turtles.

A couple of notes:

Regarding the flexible end on fins: I have tested a lot of Jets and looked at many more, such as those worn by other divers on a dive boat that I crew on part-time. As I have mentioned elsewhere in my fin reviews, various pairs of Jets are highly variable in their performance, with some doing much better than others. One of the characteristics that they seem to vary in is how flexible the end is. I recently got another pair of Jets that I suspected to be one of the better pairs, because it has a very flexible end (much more flexible than many other pairs of Jets that I've checked), and it tested very well in preliminary pool tests. (I got this pair of Jets used at a dive shop where they had just come in, felt them, noticed the flexible tip, suspected them to be one of the better pairs, and snapped them up.)

I'm planning to do extensive, full-scale testing of that pair of Jets this summer, along with Hollis F1s and OMS Slipstreams (see further comments below). I anticipate the full tests will take a few weeks to complete. I use UW speedometers etc. and run two main kinds of tests: 1. maximum speed and 2. efficiency via air consumption under standard conditions (constant 15 ft depth, 1 mph constant speed, for exactly 5:00 minutes timed with a stop watch and measuring the exact PSI consumed with a Cobra air-integrated computer). The tests are all done with a randomized sequence of which fins are run and numerous repetitions. I also sometimes run static thrust tests ... measuring thrust in pounds of force generated while in a stationary position, but the results usually correlate with the other two main kinds of tests and thrust testing is notoriously variable, so I usually don't bother with it these days. I also do some minor tests such as maneuverability and a fin's performance with different kicks, particularly backing up. Anyway, stay tuned.

My current hypothesis is that one of the keys to good performance in fins involves a fin that varies in flexibility -- from relatively stiff at the base to relatively flexible at the tip. Too stiff the entire length makes them like diving with boards on your feet that don't flex and flow with the movement, but too flexible makes them too soft and floppy with little power. I think the secret might be a good combination of variable stiffness, which is the way fish fins are, for example.

If my hypothesis is correct, and the Hollis F1s are that way, it might help explain their performance that others of you are reporting.

Regarding the Hollis F1: I borrowed a pair from a boat captain-mate/dive buddy on the boat I was working on last month. After doing a dive with them, I liked them well enough that I decided to do more formal tests on them. So I'm adding them to my upcoming testing.

Finally, in this summer's fin-testing, I'll also be including the OMS Slipstreams, which many of my tech dive buddies have and recommend as an alternative to the classic Jets.

I bought a pair each of the Hollis F1s and OMS Slipstreams and they just arrived. I'll be starting the tests in a few days or so. I use a pair of Apollo bio-fin pro, blue color, as my standard benchmark to compare other fins with and to maintain a consistent standard for measuring all other fins that I test.

I've included links to my various other fin tests elsewhere here on ScubaBoard, so I won't bother to repeat them here (you can get them with a search for my posts). In all, over the past 8 years or so, I've tested over 70 different kinds of fins. I'm looking forward to running my upcoming extensive tech fin tests this summer.

DSAO -- with the best information on your gear that you can find
Jim

I use my F1's and old style Aqualung Blades depending on what boots I'm wearing.

Jim, can you comment on the foot pocket size of the Blades compared to the F1's? My regular fins for diving wet are old size L Blades with spring straps. Looking at getting new fins for use with a dry suit, as I have the impression the Blades will only work with pretty thin booties for my size 10 feet. Thanks.

Here's my 2¢...

JetFins: Tried and true. The standard others are measured by. Exactly the right amount of stiffness for those of us who don't rely on the flutter kick. If you do the modified frog kick with little "flicks" of your ankle, these are your fins. Heavy, and not just heavy but negative in the water as well. Usually an XL is the right size for around a men's US size 10 soled boot (YMMV). The foot pocket is shaped a little funny in that it's kind of flat-ish or squarish at the top of the foot pocket. The shape of your foot has a raised spot if you trace from the top of your big toe to above your ankle where it meets your leg, and the JetFins (and copies) don't seem to quite adequately account for this, IMO (maybe I just have funny shaped feet?). So this can present a challenge getting the right boot that fits your foot and fits the footpocket of the JetFins. Usually resolved by first getting the right sized JetFins, then trying on every boot you can find until you come across one that fits both your foot and the JetFins. Strange process, but it does work.

Slipstreams: I'm on my third pair! :( Lighter than JetFins as they are made of a plastic material and not a rubber material. And not nearly as negative in the water, but maybe just a tad (i.e. they sink, not float). The stiffness is acceptable for those of us who don't rely on the flutter kick, but not quite the same "feel" as you can develop with JetFins. Similar foot pocket to the JetFins but they seem to have added a little height to the outer edge at the top of the footpocket. Still, a copy of a weird design, IMO. Usually an XL is the right size for around a men's US size 10 soled boot (YMMV). The problem is that, over time, they will begin to fold or crease right at the OMS logo on the top of the foot pocket. As much as I like these in the water, esp. in warm water diving, they just aren't made to hold up over hundreds of dives, and for that reason I'm done with them. Classic example of something that looked great to the engineer who designed them but didn't get the right formula, or he designed it with the right material and the off-shore manufacture used something different or ??? or I don't know... If you do 30 dives a year, these will probably last a couple of years. If, like me, you do 30 dives in a week, fuhgettaboutit. In this case OMS really did stand for one more sucker...

F1s: A much better footpocket design compared to the others, as though it was meant to take a standard soled diving boot. However... the sizing is all out of whack compared to the others. Usually an L (not the XL!) is the right size for around a men's US size 10 soled boot (YMMV), the F1s in size XL is more for drysuit boots. So almost exactly one size off of what everyone else is doing, so be sure to try on a pair at the store or make sure you can return them if you buy online. And the second problem is that, while the F1s in XL have a similar paddle shape to the JetFins, etc. the paddle on the F1s in size L are noticeably narrower than the Jets; more like your standard, everyday, dive store flutter kick fins. And maybe a bit softer. So for that reason they aren't as great for light frog kicks, back kicks, helicopter turns, etc. as the other two; that's what you are giving up with them. The other thing that rocks about the F1s is the adjustable spring straps, where are removable pins so you can adjust between two anchor positions. Once you get the right size spring straps for your Jets, this becomes a non-issue, but when you don't have the stuff in your hands to verify sizing the adjustability becomes a big help. (Also helpful if someone else needs to borrow your fins.)

Well, this was going to be the reader's digest condensed version but, as per usual, I got all longwinded. :D I'll try to post some pics if I get a chance later today.

Last edited:
Here's my 2¢...

JetFins: Tried and true. The standard others are measured by. Exactly the right amount of stiffness for those of us who don't rely on the flutter kick. If you do the modified frog kick with little "flicks" of your ankle, these are your fins. Heavy, and not just heavy but negative in the water as well. Usually an XL is the right size for around a men's US size 10 soled boot (YMMV). The foot pocket is shaped a little funny in that it's kind of flat-ish or squarish at the top of the foot pocket. The shape of your foot has a raised spot if you trace from the top of your big toe to above your ankle where it meets your leg, and the JetFins (and copies) don't seem to quite adequately account for this, IMO (maybe I just have funny shaped feet?). So this can present a challenge getting the right boot that fits your foot and fits the footpocket of the JetFins. Usually resolved by first getting the right sized JetFins, then trying on every boot you can find until you come across one that fits both your foot and the JetFins. Strange process, but it does work.

Slipstreams: I'm on my third pair! :( Lighter than JetFins as they are made of a plastic material and not a rubber material. And not nearly as negative in the water, but maybe just a tad (i.e. they sink, not float). The stiffness is acceptable for those of us who don't rely on the flutter kick, but not quite the same "feel" as you can develop with JetFins. Similar foot pocket to the JetFins but they seem to have added a little height to the outer edge at the top of the footpocket. Still, a copy of a weird design, IMO. Usually an XL is the right size for around a men's US size 10 soled boot (YMMV). The problem is that, over time, they will begin to fold or crease right at the OMS logo on the top of the foot pocket. As much as I like these in the water, esp. in warm water diving, they just aren't made to hold up over hundreds of dives, and for that reason I'm done with them. Classic example of something that looked great to the engineer who designed them but didn't get the right formula, or he designed it with the right material and the off-shore manufacture used something different or ??? or I don't know... If you do 30 dives a year, these will probably last a couple of years. If, like me, you do 30 dives in a week, fuhgettaboutit. In this case OMS really did stand for one more sucker...

F1s: A much better footpocket design compared to the others, as though it was meant to take a standard soled diving boot. However... the sizing is all out of whack compared to the others. Usually an L (not the XL!) is the right size for around a men's US size 10 soled boot (YMMV), the F1s in size XL is more for drysuit boots. So almost exactly one size off of what everyone else is doing, so be sure to try on a pair at the store or make sure you can return them if you buy online. And the second problem is that, while the F1s in XL have a similar paddle shape to the JetFins, etc. the paddle on the F1s in size L are noticeably narrower than the Jets; more like your standard, everyday, dive store flutter kick fins. And maybe a bit softer. So for that reason they aren't as great for light frog kicks, back kicks, helicopter turns, etc. as the other two; that's what you are giving up with them. The other thing that rocks about the F1s is the adjustable spring straps, where are removable pins so you can adjust between two anchor positions. Once you get the right size spring straps for your Jets, this becomes a non-issue, but when you don't have the stuff in your hands to verify sizing the adjustability becomes a big help. (Also helpful if someone else needs to borrow your fins.)

Well, this was going to be the reader's digest condensed version but, as per usual, I got all longwinded. :D I'll try to post some pics if I get a chance later today.

Thanks for the great writeup! I've place an order for the oms slipstream and I'm getting pretty worried about the durability of the fins as I'll be using them for my technical dives n although, I don't dive as often as u, the conditions here in Asia does tend to degrade plastics rather fast. If not the OMS fins what other out there is lighter yet as good as a pair of jets?

SangP

Back
Top Bottom