I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you have is fine.

The frog lube application process is to degrease the bolt carrier group, then heat it up and apply, follow the directions and it works really well.

I use a paint stripping gun, you can use a regular stove set to 250 or so.

I do the same thing with miltec.

Adurso, I have never used Froglube, what I am reading about it has me very interested. Are you using it as a sole lubricant or applying, seasoning and then using oil of some sort on top of it?

How is it for long term storage, ie a gun that might sit a year or more in the safe and not be fired?

I have (redacted number) rifles and use frog lube on all BCGs, they do not sit for very long, but the way the stuff works, after seasoning, is that no other lube is used, the frog lube does not work well with other lubes.

My understanding, from those who have let seasoned weapons sit in storage, is that they like the frog lube because it does not dry up or get gummy.

The seasoned parts are easy to clean, just wipe, then apply a thin layer of frog lube.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 06:19 PM ----------

I do the same thing with miltec.

How does that hold up?

To be fair, people have used everything from vagisil to Mobil 1 synthetic oil, to no name Teflon impregnated 3 in 1 oil with no issues.

they have a paste and a liquid . . . I bought both, they should arrive tomorrow.

the directions on the site look simple, I mean how hard is it to use a lube . . .

I have (redacted number) rifles and use frog lube on all BCGs, they do not sit for very long, but the way the stuff works, after seasoning, is that no other lube is used, the frog lube does not work well with other lubes.

My understanding, from those who have let seasoned weapons sit in storage, is that they like the frog lube because it does not dry up or get gummy.

The seasoned parts are easy to clean, just wipe, then apply a thin layer of frog lube.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 06:19 PM ----------

How does that hold up?

To be fair, people have used everything from vagisil to Mobil 1 synthetic oil, to no name Teflon impregnated 3 in 1 oil with no issues.

I've had no problems once I've gotten figured out exactly how much to use, at first I wasn't using enough so I was getting some resistance that I shouldn't have, but once I upped the amount it has worked flawlessly.

Miltec is the stuff that solved all the issues in Iraq for the boys over there when they were first getting started and dealing with the sand issues jamming and gumming things up. People were actually buying Miltec and sending it over as care packages to the front line troops and the troops were begging for the stuff. If you go on miltecs website you can see hundreds of letters written from front line soldiers thanking miltec.

It can basically be used as a dry lube once it bakes in and that was why it was solving the problems of dealing with the sand issues over there.

Froglube inbound. Amazon says delivery Sunday. XDS will get a coat, will report my findings.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 09:45 PM ----------

LB I heard you were a fan of dry lube? :D Or was it lanolin???

Froglube inbound. Amazon says delivery Sunday. XDS will get a coat, will report my findings.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 09:45 PM ----------

LB I heard you were a fan of dry lube? :D Or was it lanolin???

Ha. Lanolin is smooth...

---------- Post added March 8th, 2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

is there any basis of fact for not using petroleum based lubes and cleaners with non petroleum based lubes and cleaners?

I actually use Mobil 1 on many of my guns, if it's good enough to lubricate the internals of a car, where the tolerances are way tighter and that are constantly moving for hours on end, at high temps, it has got to be up to the task of keeping my firearms well protected and for significantly less than any gun oil out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ha. Lanolin is smooth...

---------- Post added March 8th, 2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

is there any basis of fact for not using petroleum based lubes and cleaners with non petroleum based lubes and cleaners?

Petroleum based stuff will eat up frog lube, they are not compatible. Just wipe the BCG down after shooting, run a patch with #9 through the barrel followed by bore snake, every now and then use a chamber brush with # 9 .

ARs really do not need to be cleaned much, do an Internet search for "filthy 14"

A school gun has a bazillion rounds through it and has never been cleaned.

I actually use Mobil 1 on many of my guns, if it's good enough to lubricate the internals of a car, where the tolerances are way tighter and that are constantly moving for hours on end, at high temps, it has got to be up to the task of keeping my firearms well protected and for significantly less than any gun oil out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Many people use Mobil 1 or a host of other things, after the civilian version of CLP removed Teflon from the formula I used a Teflon impregnated oil for many years.

The funniest I ever heard was vagisil

For the Pink rifles.

fyi froglube smells awesome. almost minty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom