I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it's mine. I got it from my "scuba buddy" for my birthday last.

I like it. The sights aren't very nice and a good thumb-fwd grip is a dangerous habit but the recoil is remarkably easy to manage. And it looks really bad-ass.

I love the feel of vintage big bore wheelguns. I have a S&W 1917 in .45 ACP. Since these are rimless rounds, two thin half moon clips hold three rounds each, something like a speedloader. This and the almost identical Colt 1917 were wartime variations of commercial pistols. The original caliber was changed so that they would be consistent with 1911 ammo. Not enough 1911s were available so Colt and Smith began making the modified revolvers for the War Department. They are big beautiful pistols, artisan level craftsmanship, with big 'US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY' on the barrels and '1917' on the bottom of the frame under the grips.

My .455 Webley was made with the precision of a Swiss watch. Most .455 Webleys in private hands were converted to Colt .45 caliber when they hit the surplus market back in the 50s, but mine is original as issued, with its calfskin holster. It came down to me through a family marriage several generations ago.

The unlucky British officer to whom this gun once belonged wrote his name in a clear bold Etonian longhand on the holster's inside flap. I don't shoot this gun very often, but I look at it quite a bit. It fires a big heavy slug very slowly, designed to act like an iron fist to the chest. A deep long BAM as your arm and wrist move implacably upward as if by a magician's trick.

How's the accuracy of the .45 ACP in the MK6 and S&W revolvers?
I've heard tell the lower velocity can cause a problem.
....on the subject of battlefield finds there's a "rumor" that wrapped up in some oily hessian sacks and hidden in a barn on the old family farm in the UK there is a MP38 brought back from a raid on Norway.

How's the accuracy of the .45 ACP in the MK6 and S&W revolvers?
I've heard tell the lower velocity can cause a problem.
....on the subject of battlefield finds there's a "rumor" that wrapped up in some oily hessian sacks and hidden in a barn on the old family farm in the UK there is a MP38 brought back from a raid on Norway.

The Webley Mk6 uses .455 cartriges. It is reasonably accurate in that I can hit a 5 gallon bucket more often than not firing single action offhand at about 70 feet. Firing double action offhand I almost never hit anything, but that's not the inherent fault of the gun. Bench rest at 50 feet gives 8 to 10 inch groups. The .455s are pretty old, made in Canada.

The S&W 1917 fires its .45 ACPs with deadly accuracy. Bench rest at 50 feet firing single action results in groups I can cover with my palm, except for the last round or two which tend to go high and to the right. Might be me, though. You can really feel it.

I don't know about England, but I have seen several MP38/40s here, smuggled back. I was offered a rare Japanese Type 100 machine pistol at a reasonable price, but why buy something that I have to keep buried in the garden? A gun that uses 8mm Nambu rounds that go for about $3 or $4 each, last time I checked. I fired a Mauser MP1918 that some dude had hidden behind the wall in his attic for years. A beautifully made gun, but not worth the risk.

The number of unregistered German pistols brought back from WW2 would sink an aircraft carrier from sheer weight. I've seen them at garage sales, some old lady selling her late husband's things, usually. "I just want to get rid of them."

How's the accuracy of the .45 ACP in the MK6 and S&W revolvers? I've heard tell the lower velocity can cause a problem

Velocity has very little to do with accuracy.

---------- Post added October 7th, 2013 at 05:26 PM ----------

The barrel twist will be all wrong. For .22 LR I think you want 1:16. Better to go with a dedicated upper.

I just got the laser sights for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. I like them. But then, I like guns.:D

Hoping someday to have the funds for one of these & a trip to Africa!

R8_Safari_BE_01.jpg

Blaser R8?

Anvil Arms Lower matched to a BCM 12.5" Carbine Upper. BCM FA BCG, Stag LPK, Ambi-safety, Magpul MOE as well as Magpul MIAD grip. ALl 100% legal, got the paper from the ATF allowing me have it. Not pictured is the VTAC Alpha Handguard Tube. Hadn't come in yet. Also had the Troy Industries BUIS. Want to throw an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1. and it will be all set?

Some may go "why" or such. I own it because I can.

Back
Top Bottom