I know this is subjective but... wetsuit thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cork2win

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've searched for a similar topic but didn't have much luck, not really sure what to search for! If someone knows of an existing thread and would rather post it, please do.

Is there a "standard" wetsuit thickness for various water temperatures? I'm scheduled to do my OW checkout dives next weekend and I recall the instructor saying that we could go to 60ft. I checked the quarry's website and at 60ft water temp is 53 degrees.

I recall seeing pictures of other checkout dives and saw the students were bundled to the hilt... it looked like full 7mm farmer johns with hoods, gloves, boots, the works. I'm assuming this is going to be the direction my instructor pushes, but I'm VERY warm blooded and hate being hot and I'm concerned that this will be too much. I won't have much of a leg to stand on though since this will be my first time in neoprene and who am I to tell the instructor what I should wear, right? I really would like to go with the least bulk possible though so I'm curious if there's a standard thickness/degree chart or something that most people go by or should I just suck it up and do what he tells me? I'm guessing I know the answer, but I'd still like to know what the "Standard" is, if one exists. Thanks!

Did our OW in Michigan in similar temps - 7mm sounds about right for most people.
You will get cold fast!
Unfortunetly, you will be VERY uncomfortable out of the water - hot and not able to move very easily. Hood, gloves, boots, oh yea!

just MVHO

In 53° water, I'd wear a 7 mil with a hood. In water, 53° is cold.

53 degree water temp is much different than a 53 degree air temp. You will get cold much faster in the water. I definitely recommend the 7mil hood, and gloves. You won't regret it. And if you feel you are getting warm, just flood your suit with the cold water.

My OW check outs were in a surface temp of 57 degrees. I only remember that it was friggen cold on the surface... and under the thermocline it was REALLY friggen cold!! LOL

I think I'd bundle up! Without a doubt. Here's a hint too.... assemble all your gear first. Then at the last minute get into your wetsuit put on your BC/Tank and fins and stride in quickly.

Walter:
In 53° water, I'd wear a 7 mil with a hood. In water, 53° is cold.

I agree, and you might want to consider gloves as well.

Over the last month, we have conducted training dives in water that was about 61 degrees where we had the students. They wore 7mm full suits and no hoods or gloves, and no one complained.

Now, it was much colder a little lower than were we worked with them because of a thermocline. They did go below the thermocline for parts of the dives, but not for long. I suspect that is what your instructor is going to do as well. I doubt if you will spend much time at 53 degrees.

BTW, I am not a fan of farmer johns. My own sense is that I am warmer in a good fitting 7 mm full suit than I am in a 7mm FJ. That doesn't seem to make sense, since you have twice as much on the core with a FJ, but that is how I have felt.

[In case you are interested, I have a 3mm FJ in excellent condition....]

erparamedic:
I think I'd bundle up! Without a doubt. Here's a hint too.... assemble all your gear first. Then at the last minute get into your wetsuit put on your BC/Tank and fins and stride in quickly.

There are other tips to use for staying warm.

When the air is cold, I take a cooler full of almost boiling water which I mix with cold sea water (lake water works well too) to drop the temperature to a safe level. You can bring warm water instead of hot, but it won't go as far and everyone will want some. Pour the warm (not hot) water in your suit between dives. This is not recommended for those with dry suits. A parka over the wet suit is also very helpful. When I've finished diving I strip off my wet suit, dry off and put on warm dry clothes. Get out of the wet suit ASAP.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure you're right that 53 is COLD in the water. Dive and learn I suppose... I'm guessing we won't spend a ton of time at that depth, probably more the 30ft range which is reported to be 74 degrees. I guess if I'm warm in the 7mm I'll just do as you say and flood the suit. Or I'll ***** and moan and he'll send me home packing because he's tired of hearing my lip! :wink:

If you're diving this in hot weather, you WILL get hot when you suit up. Keep in mind that you can always jump in the water & cool off, you don't have to stand around & suffer.

In cold weather conditions when diving wet, hot water is worth it's weight in gold. We have hot water on the boats I dive from & in the winter it saves us. Cold air means "stay warm before & between dives". Hot water down the suit just before & after a dive, a parka over it to block wind & trap body heat, a knit hat. Stay out of the wind & take a thermos of hot drinks, coffee or hot chocolate, tea, whatever. The key then is to not let your core get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom