I know this camera can do better ... advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that cable costs them more than $2 I would be surprised.

A friend of mine in Sweden got me 30m for something like EUR10 a couple of years ago for a project I was working on, but you still need the small fittings for the camera and the strobe.

There are a ton of threads here and on Wetpixel about making your own FO cable. The end bits are $3 each from Reef or others. Good cable (i.e. multi-core cable) is about $7/meter. Cheap cable (which is fine if you aren't using TTL) is $0.5 per meter. The $90 cable that BS sells has about $15 in parts in it, not including labor but they still make a ton of money on it.
Cheers
Bill

The end bits are $3 each from Reef or others.

Could you provide the full website please? I'll bet my husband can put this stuff together. Thanks for the heads-up! Btw, your website looks amazing! Great pics. :)

Cable is from Industrial Fiber Optics (the Asahi 617 core is best)
MCQ-1000 613-core Fused Multi-core Simplex Cable, Polyethylene Jacket
$7.50 per meter
TC-1000 Asahi General Purpose Simplex, Industrial Optical Cable, Polyethylene Jacket
$1.50 per meter but won't work reliably with TTL. The 613 stuff will work with TTL

Inon Double Hole Fiber Optic Plug (Rubber Bush Plug)
$5 each, you need 2

https://www.amazon.com/DIVTEK-Under...iber+optic+strobe+cable&qid=1609813032&sr=8-3

$15 and will be fine but you miss the fun of making it yourself

Coiling of fiber cables can be a pain in the butt. After many attempts (I am a stubborn SOB), i found that if you take a piece of wooden dowel (about 8 or 9 mm or 5/16 inch in diameter) and drill two holes that are the diameter of your fiber through the dowel as far apart as you want your coil. I drilled them 90 degrees offset from each other but that doesn't matter. Push about 25 mm or inch through the first hole, then wind the fiber tightly around the dowel til you get to the other hole then push another 25 mm through the second hole. Place the dowel and fiber in a pan of cold water, then heat the water til just boiling, then turn off the heat. The important part is to now let the water sit til it cools. Push the straight pieces back through the hole, and voila a perfectly coiled fiber optic cable. I had previously taken the coil out of the hot water and cooled it rapidly but letting it cool slowly is the magic.

critters - I've experimented with it - blennies tuck back in their holes

By the way one thing you might try. This from my go pro but you can do same from TG6. Setup on a tripod or maybe use some rubble if any lying around... place your camera and zoom in, the leave the area. I did for this video. Little Hermit crab wasn't coming out with me being there. Once I was gone though, good things come to those who wait. Put my platform down for the second video as well.

Beautiful! I'm trying to choose between the backscatter and Inon. Which Inon do you have?
I have an old Inon, from a previous camera. Newer ones much smaller and better fit for newer models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom