I know this camera can do better ... advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only had my TG-6 for 1 trip and am not an experienced photographer, so someone please correct me if I am wrong. Green box from a half press is your auto-focus, which as mentioned above, is essential, especially when in super macro, IME. Another thought, if you are not able to maintain position long, is to try the sequence (burst) shots that can be achieved through a setting and then holding down the shutter button. Maybe not the most elegant solution, and you'll wind up with a ton of shots to delete, but may be useful when it's not possible for you or subject to remain stationary.

Photo stacking and sequence burst not really the best option for underwater at least for me. Pretty much l the photos I took the critters are on the move. Except for the octopus.

Photo stacking and sequence burst not really the best option for underwater at least for me. Pretty much l the photos I took the critters are on the move. Except for the octopus.

It worked pretty well for mantas, which is admittedly a far different scenario than we are talking about here. I would have given it a try, though understand why it may not be ideal.

Appreciate the experience and input!

It worked pretty well for mantas, which is admittedly a far different scenario than we are talking about here. I would have given it a try, though understand why it may not be ideal. Appreciate the experience and input!

I think I am just not good at that yet. Something to improve on.

Beautiful! I'm trying to choose between the backscatter and Inon. Which Inon do you have?

Just an aside: As I sink more money into this hobby I love so much, it occurs to me that our dive community is the only place anyone will really appreciate the pictures we're taking. I can show a friend a pic of something the size of a grain of rice and they don't know it's that small until I point out the particles of sand. Because the critter is blown up they think it's the same size as a shark/ray/grunt/whatever. This truly is something I have to justify as doing only for myself - and be ok with that. Nobody's buying my photos. This is just for me (and my dive buddy/hubby). So it can be difficult to justify more $$$.

My advice, don't buy anything else yet. Practice on the focus some more even if lighting not perfect. On some dives I will pair up with new divers who don't even know what critters are out there and send them photos and maybe video by gmail. Dove with one newly married couple and they were traveling very light. I always have SD cards so dropped a whole lot of photos and video's on one I took with them over 3 dives in one day. After they returned home they emailed to say how much they appreciated me taking photos of them with turtles and the other photos and videos to show their family. They did their OW after arriving in Asia on the spur of the honeymoon moment.

When I am not trying to get from A to B then I am moving around 10 feet a minute distance lol. Most group's don't get too far in a couple of minutes so have a buddy stick with you and take your time. Enjoy that slow time taking better photos after all you are paying for your vacation time. Sometimes I just stay and take the photos and maybe an instabuddy follows the group. Better for me more time to get those nice pictures lol.

The MF-1 with or without snoot looks cool but not including a battery and charger is really poor form. It adds a fixed $50 or so to the price and also makes shipping more complex. Even the holiday bundle was a bad deal as they basically just threw the snoot -- a tube -- in for free. The battery was still not included. I think that is a mistake on their part as I am now buying arms and a base straight from China rather than with a strobe from BS. I'll probably end up with an MF-1 but the total order will be much smaller.

The MF-1 with or without snoot looks cool but not including a battery and charger is really poor form. It adds a fixed $50 or so to the price and also makes shipping more complex. Even the holiday bundle was a bad deal as they basically just threw the snoot -- a tube -- in for free. The battery was still not included. I think that is a mistake on their part as I am now buying arms and a base straight from China rather than with a strobe from BS. I'll probably end up with an MF-1 but the total order will be much smaller.

I happen to already have the battery it requires (from another light I was using), but I agree - same with needing to shell out the money for the fiber optic cable, IMO. May as well sell it without the light bulb. I don't think you have the option to attach it via 'hot' shoe - only cold shoe and use the cable. But such is the way of these things. It's like booking a condo in Coz via VRBO - you get a price for the week and then they add on taxes and fees and it's $300 higher than the price you thought you were getting it for. Just give me the final price, not the 'let's lure you in and then slam you' price.

The TG-6 has an option to choose the focus mode. Make sure you have selected the super macro focus mode and use a small focus light/snoot to light up the subject ONLY. The camera will be able to focus much easier on the highlighted subject... When you add a strobe or two, you still keep the focus light for that purpose.

You can save the settings for macro in the C1 mode (with super macro focus), and the standard wide angle settings in the C2, so you can still shoot a turtle if is passing by...

I hope it helps.

jordi

One thing you need to learn is to avoid diving in groups and go slow only diving with another photographer or a buddy that can spot for you.

Those are incredible shots!! Wow!

My husband is my spotter - and does a great job. This last trip we went from the big boats to a small, fast boat, and had some nice, slow dives. The dive op is known for letting you run out your gas or no deco time - no rush - perfect. And they helped me look for cool stuff too.

Were you shooting with a TG6? And were you using a tripod? I was taking pics of icicles on my deck today and it's evident I can't be still enough to get the shot I want on dry land - add water and it will only get more complicated. But perhaps with the strobe and faster shutter speed (and divine intervention?).

Were you shooting with a TG6?

No, these shots are taken with a Nikon +105mm lens, but still requires a lot of patience and stalking skills.

I've been using a TG5 which I initially bought for video purposes for tech diving as it's pretty simple to use with a dome port.

This shot of a wreck was taken without a flash at 24m

C121029MCsig-M.jpg

with flash (two Backscatter mini-strobes) for critters

C241092MCsig-M.jpg

Attachments

• FUJ_6308MCsig-M.jpg
    FUJ_6308MCsig-M.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 82
...same with needing to shell out the money for the fiber optic cable, IMO. May as well sell it without the light bulb.

Oh that's right, the $90 cable, forgot about that one. It's extra-rude since they are direct-to-consumer.

I really do think they are shooting themselves in the foot. I like to support US companies and their R&D but when it gets abusive I turn to the Chinese alternative. If that cable costs them more than $2 I would be surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom