I just signed up for Scuba Part 1 and was wondering if I should buy equipment on line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like RoatanMan said, its not easy getting the tanks filled through the net. Most shops barely break even with classes and rely on the sales of gear to turn a profit. Air fills are also typically a no profit sale for the shops. I personally think that it is worth it to spend a couple extra bucks on the gear and help keep the doors open at the shop. If you start building a relationship with the shop they will likely give you a bit of a discount in the future.

PhilEllis:
You apparently have NO experience purchasing from a modern on-line store. From our store, you get..........

complete gear assembly
complete flow testing of all regulators
all factory warranty documents completed
delivered, ready to dive.......

and it is put together by humans. You should try it sometimes. It is a fun experience.

Phil Ellis
Great to know but you are one of the very few who do it. Most online stores don't and don't offer warranties either. I have bought dive gear online, but not my regulators and I never will buy those online.

RonFrank:
This is said a LOT and I'm never clear on how anyone can make such a statement without detailed knowledge of the specific LDS providing the training.

I certainly can say for a fact that MANY LDS's make a LOT of $$$ on training. Do the math:

OW Class $150 per student. That includes NO materials. 100% gross profit. They pay the Instructor maybe $25 per student.
Materials $65, and likely a 50% gross profit margin.

Our LDS does two or more of these EVERY week with generally 8~10 students.

At 8 students that's a gross profit of at around $2400 weekly not counting profit on the materials, and retail goods the students purchase.

Now add in an additional $150 (local)~ $200 for OW checkout dives. Here the may have travel expenses (hence the difference in local vs. travel fee's). However they often show up with 25+ students for a weekend. Even at $150 per student that is another $3750 in gross profit, and they do this about once a month. At the $200 rate it's $5000, and the travel expenses to put up 3~4 instructors does NOT run them the difference ($1250).

LDS does not stay in business based on gross profit they stay in business based on net profit. The overhead that comes out of that gross profit is enormous if the shop provides quality gear for the students.

RoatanMan:
Be sure to negotiate for a free 10 fills "air card".... if you have DSL, otherwise with dial-up, the best you can hope for is 2800 and no NitrOx

I'll bet you do your grocery shopping at the 7 - 11 because it is so convienient to buy gas there.:D

robint:
Great to know but you are one of the very few who do it. Most online stores don't and don't offer warranties either. I have bought dive gear online, but not my regulators and I never will buy those online.

Actually there are a fair number that do. Most of the legit stores. I remember when we started putting IP and crack pressure numbers on the receipt with peoples serial numbers, and all the gear assembled. Customers called up amazed that we assembled and tested everything since we were an on-line store. We'll, we're also a 10,000 square foot facility with an indoor pool, nitrox fills, class rooms, travel etc. We're just a dive shop - and we sell on line. It's just not everyone lives in Dallas - but we try to give the same customer service to someone in Clear Springs Iowa as we do someone in Dallas. It's good to see other folks following that model. That is good for the Consumer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom