I just got a job offer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m stumped right now, looking at a carrot being dangled in front of me.

There is a small, one-man department that is just a few miles north of the Sheriff’s Department. The city of Hayden Lake borders the cities of Hayden and Dalton. Hayden Lake and one of the city limits is right next to the main Hayden Lake boat ramp which is in Hayden. Hayden Lake is the 4000-acre lake you have read so much about.

They are going to expand by one. It’s a part-time position around half-time (8-20 hours a week). A few of our deputies have shown an interest but have been denied the position.

Everything is issued. Uniform, leathers, vest, weapons, take home vehicle, Tazer and whatever else that might be needed.

I got approached last night to take the position. All I have to say is yes and it’s mine. Same hourly rate I make now including my shift differential and dive pay. There will be some details that “I” want in writing on the contract side.

My biggest issue is the dive team. I know they won’t have a problem with it for the most part, but I want some specific details down in black and white.

You might be asking yourself why I would do this. Simple, I am over my retirement points. If I work for another department, in the same retirement system, after I retire, I can only work 20 hours a week to not mess with my retirement.

When I do retire I will be staying on the dive team but as a free-be which is no big deal at all. This gives me a chance to still have a police vehicle and still be on the team as a sort of free-be. To top it off I will actually make more money that I am making now and only work a fourth of the time.

This department is in a big, make that Mega, buck money area. When The Mandrel Sisters tried to buy a lake front home there, at the height of their popularity, they could not qualify. This is the same area that was home to Bing Crosby and other stars. It’s a little snooty but not bad at all.

The department is giving me their blessings and I have already been told that I will still run a portion of the team but just in blue instead of brown.

Man, I have never been a “Policeman” never been in “Blue” and never had they restrictions of a city. Hayden Lake does not have a problem with its officers leaving the city and backing the surrounding jurisdictions. I have had their officer as far away from his city as he could go in the county and there isn’t a problem.

When they don’t have an officer on the county covers the area anyway.

Boy am I tempted.

Gary D.

Well.. what is your question? It sounds like you need to go for it...what do you have to loose? If one does not take risks they will never succeed.

This sat pic is basically the city. 2 golf courses on the right or west. The lake and million dollar lots on the point to the northeast. lake to the west.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=11&X=648&Y=6612&W=1

The upper of the two golf courses is a pricey public course. The other one, next to the water is private. If you don't make the middle 7 figures, get nominated and voted in plus pay around 50K a year for membership, don't plan on playing it.

If this happens it is just going to be so hard walking away from a job I have loved over the past 29 years 7 months.

Another plus is with our pay issues. No raises in the past three years. Four years ago we got $.03 an hour which was a slap in the face. No raises for at least the next year maybe two. Everyone is moving forward but we are sitting still. If I retire I'm going to get at least 3% a year.

Instead of living in my jurisdiction I will be 8 miles away.

This isn't rocket science.

Gary D.

after 29 years, you've put in your share of time. nobody is going to look at your resume and accuse you of job hopping...

for more pay, less work and scheduled pay raises it does seem like a no-brainer...

how are the politics going to be at the other job? if they look better, there's nothing stopping you...

Gary,

Go for it. Wobbles will have you at home more and you will be less stressed. Although, she may not want you home more. Could be a down side of the deal. :)

Really, this must be a hard decision. Whatever you do, it will be the right one.

Do it!

You'll be the sheriff of a one-horse-town that falls somewhere between Mayberry and an upper-income resort.

You'll MAYBE learn how to scale down your working hours toward the unavoidable retirement in your future.

You'll have more time for the grandkids.

Heck, maybe you'll even learn how to make a FUN dive with me! (free training) :D

Gary D.:
I’m stumped right now, Gary D.

OK, let me see now:
1) Everything is provided.
2) You work 1/2 of the time you do now.
3) Both Departments support your continuing to dive.
4) You make more money than you do now.
5) You "probably" will not have to deal with Darwin candidates.
6) You will probably still get called in on the big ones
7) Your time will still continue towards final retirement.

Yep! I'd pass! NOT!!!!

Good luck with what ever you decide Gary!

Dan

Boater Dan:
OK, let me see now:
1) Everything is provided.
2) You work 1/2 of the time you do now.
3) Both Departments support your continuing to dive.
4) You make more money than you do now.
5) You "probably" will not have to deal with Darwin candidates.
6) You will probably still get called in on the big ones
7) Your time will still continue towards final retirement.

Yep! I'd pass! NOT!!!!

Good luck with what ever you decide Gary!

Dan
No retirement in the future. I'd retire from the Sheriff's Department first then go to Hayden Lake. That's what makes the money so good and restricts me to half time. As long as I stay in the same retirement system I can only work 20-hours a week. Outside the system I can work as much as I want.

We will talk more over the next couple of weeks. Next week is out, I have to go to San Diego. But no diving this trip. I'll return with the bar report. :D

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom