I just cant seem to get well focused pictures....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
So I feel a bit like a dweeb posting this, but I have had my cameras for about two years now. I use them relatively often (once or twice weekly). I also dive a lot at night.

I cant seem to figure out how to get well focused pictures. Maybe 1 in 10 of my photos come out well focused. I am starting to believe that my camera housings are the culprits, but they are clean, moisture free etc etc.....

I can consistantly get well focused pictures from the camera on land.

Does anyone else have the same experience or am I just the worlds worst U/W Photographer??? :)

CHeers,
Roger

What gear do you have (camera, lights)..?

Most cameras take a non-zero amount of time to lock focus, especially in low lighting or low contrast situations. If you just point and shoot, the focus may not lock correctly, or may lock on something that is not the subject.

It will really depend on the camera- some for example the S95 has a manual focus feature where you can estimate the distance and then make changes if the camera brain isn't focusing on what you're after ie. a hawkfish in amongst black coral

Thanks for the responses.

My Camera is the DC-1200 and I use one SL-961 strobe 95% of the time as well as the detachable WA Lens depending on the shot. I just re-read the manual, and I cant seem to find any glaring error I am making.... Maybe I am expecting too much :)

Cheers,
Roger

Focus underwater is tough for a point and shoot. One problem is often you have low light. The camera has a hard time focusing in dim light. This has been mentioned above. Another problem is that if you are shooting in an auto mode, your camera can change the setting to something that will not work like a long shutter speed or a really wide open F stop (which kills depth of field).

Another problem is that a diver is often moving relative to the subject and often the subject is moving too. Since you are using viewer to focus with, you are getting a huge shutter lag. Also, on a viewer, you are pretty much focusing on the outline of the object. Precise focus is really tough.

A big thing is to shoot in manual. That way, you choose the settings. It is more labor intensive but I think it pays off. The other thing is to work on your buoyancy skills. The more precisely you can control your own movement, the better your results will be. However, some subjects are just going to be problematic with a point and shoot. Damsel fish, for example, move around constantly. It is nearly impossible to get an in focus shot of a damsel fish with a point and shoot. The shutter lag means you are constantly shooting at where the fish was and not where it is.

I switched from a point and shoot to a DSLR. With a DSLR, you focus through a viewfinder which means your shutter lag is pretty much limited to how fast you can press the shutter. In my first dives, I found myself getting shots of small fish that I was never able to successfully shoot with a point and shoot.

Do you push the shutter button 1/2 way down and use the center focus box before you take the picture. If you push the shutter button 1/2 way down my DC800 will put a box in the screen showing where the focus point is and focus on that point.

Maybe put up a few pics- don't be shy :) and that could give a base for posters to look at and try to help?

It's be good to put up both good and bad shots for comparison and maybe someone can allude to a common 'fault'?

Focus underwater is tough for a point and shoot. One problem is often you have low light. The camera has a hard time focusing in dim light. This has been mentioned above. Another problem is that if you are shooting in an auto mode, your camera can change the setting to something that will not work like a long shutter speed or a really wide open F stop (which kills depth of field).

A big thing is to shoot in manual. That way, you choose the settings. It is more labor intensive but I think it pays off. The other thing is to work on your buoyancy skills. The more precisely you can control your own movement, the better your results will be. However, some subjects are just going to be problematic with a point and shoot. Damsel fish, for example, move around constantly. It is nearly impossible to get an in focus shot of a damsel fish with a point and shoot. The shutter lag means you are constantly shooting at where the fish was and not where it is.

I switched from a point and shoot to a DSLR. With a DSLR, you focus through a viewfinder which means your shutter lag is pretty much limited to how fast you can press the shutter. In my first dives, I found myself getting shots of small fish that I was never able to successfully shoot with a point and shoot.

Perhaps I will start working with the manual mode. I have some time to mess around with it during the next couple of weeks.

I think I have my buoyancy control solved :), but it certainly can be a contributing factor if I cant stay still.

I previously used the NIKONOS IV and the photos I had from that were far superior to what I get from my sealife.. I just cant get myself to make the investment in an SLR & HOUSING..

Cheers,
Roger

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 11:27 AM ----------

Maybe put up a few pics- don't be shy :) and that could give a base for posters to look at and try to help?

It's be good to put up both good and bad shots for comparison and maybe someone can allude to a common 'fault'?

I appreciate the suggestion but I'M a bit shy on this one.... :)

Cheers,
Roger

I understand that you are a bit shy about posting photos but in order to trouble shoot more effectively we really do to see:
- a good shot
- a shot you thought was going to be good but wasn't
AND the settings the camera chose for each (you can find this by right click the original photo and choosing Advanced settings).

You could very well have a problem with the autofocus or something on the camera itself and if that is the case, no amount of technique is going to help :)

This is a safe place for you to post your photos to get the help you need, I promise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom