I have mild eczema and a bad left shoulder. How do I watch for signs of DCI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this seems silly but I am a walking DCI complaint. I suffer mildly from exuma, sore shoulder, and sea sickness. I have recently lost 25 pounds and have been working on my cardio health as well as taken rescue, nitrox, and other specialties to be a better diver and healthier person.

I guess all this DCI talk (scary at times) combined with my first and upcoming week long dive, dive, dive, vacation on Grand Cayman has me a little concerned. I will stay hydrated and do my best to take it easy on depths etc... Any thoughts? Do injuries make DCI easier to get? I read (without fully understanding) that injuries can help DCI along the way. Trapping bubbles etc...? Muscle tissue?

Also, did I learn correctly in my nitrox class that diving nitrox on air tables doesn't really effect the percentages of DCI?

Well, several questions...

Yes, injury sites (increased circulation) and older injuries (scar tissue) can increase the incidence of DCS. Although depending on your dive profile with the description of injuries you have it should not present any problem... Just something to consider in the event something does not feel right after your dives...

Jeff Lane

The big thing to remember is taking a good mental assessment and noting any abnormalities prior to begining your dives. It would also be a good idea to share these abnormalities with either your dive partner the dive master or tour leader or both in the event you have anything wrong after the dive.

The 5 minute neurological exam is a good tool, especially if you and your buddy exam each other before and after diving. This way you have a baseline to make seeing changes easier.

The Catalina Island Chamber site has a good video on the 5 minute neuro, there are links to it here on the site in several deco threads. I can dig it up if you can't find it with a search.

Hello Scubadobadoo:

Angst :06:

You have what is sometimes referred to as the “Sophomore Medical School Syndrome.” Students study disease and shortly thereafter have a proclivity to acquire about have of the maladies. Diving apparently has “spooked” you. Many dive but few are selected by the gods for DCS.

I would recommend that you just go and have a wonderful time in the Caribbean. I know I did when I went.

Dr Deco :doctor:

scubadobadoo :

To directly answer your question: Yes, when you already have some medical complaints how do you sort out what is new, and possible DCS, from what is old and that resulting from unaccustomed exercise?

There is no perfect way, in my opinion. But what I have found to be reasonable is to make an inventory before diving. Then if the discomfort level doesn't change, or improves as is often the case, I relax. If I have anything new then I treat it as a possible DCI and take the appropriate assessment steps.

Key to all this is the ability to be honest in the assessment. Not to be in denial; nor to join the hypochondriac ranks.

An example that happened to me last January. After a couple days of diving I had an itch. A very irritating itch with no rash. This was new, but was it a DCI, or something else? No lumps, bumps or any other sign or symptom except the itch. So, I put some oil on it to see if it was just dry skin. Guess what? The itch went away and all was well. If it hadn't then a trip to the local ER would have been in order.

And of course there is the troublesome joint that always hurts a bit. If it doesn't change then I just continue on with what I'm doing.

Of course this isn't any kind of medical advice. It is just my sharing my personal story for your information.

Have fun with your diving.

Thanks all for your advice. I will admit that I have been reading waaaay too much on DCI lately. Especially since I took rescue diver. Btw, my trip was awesome. I should add that getting in better shape in the last 6 months really helped my diving and I am not tired now like I was the last time I dove alot in one week. A little strength training/cardio and 20 pounds of weight loss paid off! It also helped my old shoulder injury too.

Hello Scubadobadoo:

If your experience is like that of most folks I know you will really be happy with the results of a good exercise and nutrition program.

A mixed program of free-weights and endurance really tones up the muscles. Then do a "For The Rest Of Your Life" eating change(no "Diets") to keep the calories down and nutrition up does wonders. In a year or two, if you are like most I know, you will weigh near an optimal weight for your body type, have few if any joint pains and be Strong. The only downside is the bad attitude for those who haven't seen the light.

I agree arctic diver. Only 6 months into my "life change" and the results are very noticeable. 18 dives in 7 days LAST YEAR would have killed me. After my vacation this past week I was ready for more instead of ready for bed. I should note that my wife also made a life change when I did and that has been a BIG help. Having a built in dive and workout buddy is a major advantage.

One more thing, that's excema not exuma. Maybe I should spend more time reading my medication bottle and less time reading about diving! Thanks for the correction Bill. I am still laughing about that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom