I have a Dumb Question re: Octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, this has been discussed to death (perhaps a bad choice of words) and I have been one of the participants.

I did have one and I was fine with breathing off of it and donating my primary to my buddy in the event of an emergency. We even practiced this skill.

The deal killer was that the one time I had to use it (on the Yukon off San Diego in a flooded drysuit- you might find what I had to say at the time on this board,) the person in need was not my buddy and not off my boat. He was looking for the octo he did not find. He indicated he was low on air, but did not take my primary -- he went for the Air 2, effectively taking control of my bouyancy. I was able to get him to take my primary and get control off of the inflator/air2, but you see what I mean. It isn't always your well-trained buddy, it could be some hysterical stranger, and you should be prepared to deal with that possibility. That's just something I had never considered.

Yes, this has been discussed to death (perhaps a bad choice of words) and I have been one of the participants.

I did have one and I was fine with breathing off of it and donating my primary to my buddy in the event of an emergency. We even practiced this skill.

The deal killer was that the one time I had to use it (on the Yukon off San Diego in a flooded drysuit- you might find what I had to say at the time on this board,) the person in need was not my buddy and not off my boat. He was looking for the octo he did not find. He indicated he was low on air, but did not take my primary -- he went for the Air 2, effectively taking control of my bouyancy. I was able to get him to take my primary and get control off of the inflator/air2, but you see what I mean. It isn't always your well-trained buddy, it could be some hysterical stranger, and you should be prepared to deal with that possibility. That's just something I had never considered.
Interesting perspective .... hadn't thought about it from this angle. I've been using Zeagle's Octo+ and now the Octo-Z for a total of about 6 years. Never had an issue with either one, but then I always practiced frequently. My hose is pretty short, I think anyone would have a real problem trying to grab the Octo-Z. And normally I have my hand resting on it anyway. But there's always someone that's going to manage the one thing you don't plan for!

Ok, so you've made me nervous enough that I'm going to get an Octo. Now that brings another question - I will be in Key Largo tomorrow afternoon and not diving until Friday morning, how long does it normally take for a dive shop to install an Octo on my 1st stage?

Ok, so you've made me nervous enough that I'm going to get an Octo. Now that brings another question - I will be in Key Largo tomorrow afternoon and not diving until Friday morning, how long does it normally take for a dive shop to install an Octo on my 1st stage?

Don't buy stuff because you're nervous about something you read on the internet.

At least initially, you should be diving with the same type of equipment you were trained with.

Both Air-2's and octos have good and bad points and are so evenly matched on advantages and disadvantages that this issue comes up on SB every month or so, generating a huge number of responses on both sides.

If you were trained to share air with an octo, I'd suggest getting one. If you were trained to share air with an Air-2 and already have one, I'd suggest leaving your stuff as-is.

Terry

less than 5 minutes.

the problem i have with this thread is that the shop sold this new diver something she didn't have any idea how to use. there seems to have been no 'it takes a bit of practice but we'll make sure you're comfortable using it if you want to go this direction'. if pros & cons, plusses & minuses of different set-ups were discussed, this would not have been a question. stacey, the original question wasn't stupid in the least, but how in the world can you trust a shop that just sells you whatever it has without your input or thoughts? 'here, new driver, have a kenworth with stick shift' when you did all your previous driving with an automatic civic and didn't know there *was* such a thing as 18 wheelers with stick?? that's where the danger is.

Stacy I would discuss it with your dive shop before you shell out more cash. There is really nothing wrong with the air2 I use one all the time and NEVER had a problem with it even in practice.

BabyDuck - I fully understand what you are saying and that's why I initially "freaked out" when I got the gear home and examining it. The dive shop I use is usually pretty good with instructions and input, HOWEVER they did train us with Octos and then sold me a BC with the Air 2. I had asked for the ScubaPro Ladyhawk BC because that's what we trained with and it is easy to use (especially putting the strap on the tank and it not slipping), but the ones we trained with didn't have Air 2's. I don't know what she thought when she got it for me and set up the regulator, maybe she thought she had gone over this with me at some point? I don't know. Honestly, they have never steered me wrong before, and I actually got a good price with a discount for brand new equipment, so it wasn't like they were trying to just get more money out of me. She did apologize when I went back and went over everything with me, assuring me it was ok to use in an emergency situation, but to be sure and practice when I got in the water (she knows I'll be with an instructor down there for the advanced cert) - and my friend said he will definitely practice with me in the shallow water when we first get in Friday.

LOL Ronzo and Stacy it is amazing to see how a debate can turn ugly huh? :)

Back
Top Bottom