I have a Dumb Question re: Octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine was purchased with only 6 dives. No problems to date with multiple uses in practice scenarios. I recommend if a person is comfortable with a certain piece of equipment get it and practice with it :)

Oh my, I didn't mean to spark a heated debate. I merely didn't want to get down to Key Largo and have the dive operator tell me I couldn't go in the water because I didn't have an octo :)

As you can tell, I'm new to this, only been diving since January and haven't had much opportunity to get out there and do it as much as I want. We'd been planning the dive this weekend for my friend's birthday and I came into a nice little bonus and decided to buy my own equipment rather than renting. My instructor got the set up for me, but like I said, wasn't there when I went to pick it up.

I went last night to see her and she went over everything with me. She said "yes, it's a pain to breath off of it in an emergency, but it's better to breath than not breath, and the chances of an emergency cropping up are very slim" since I don't get to dive that much. I will most likely get an octo somewhere down the line, I just wanted to be sure I was ok for this weekend. My friend said he will practice with me on our first dive Friday in shallow water so that I can get the feel of it.

Thank you all for your comments - this sure is a lively bunch of divers :)

Make sure you practice sharing air with your Air2. My ex-girlfriend, who is a fabulous diver, and I once practiced out-of-air scenarios. She had an Air2, I had a regular octo at the time. I spit my reg out and she tried to hand off her air2 to me. By the time I realized what she was doing and she realized that it wouldn't work, I was REALLY out of air, so I went for her primary myself. My brain just kinda switched into auto pilot. Of course I felt horrible, although nothing happened. She grabbed her Air2 and all was good. Just an example of what can happen if a person is trained a certain way and then suddenly has to do everything differently with no time to think. And just in case you're wondering, this experience has NOTHING to do with the fact we're no longer together...:wink:

Should a new diver who doesn’t have his ascents under control even be certified? No, of course not, regardless of rather he is using an air2, a traditional set up, or an octo on a necklace and another on a bracelet.
I do understand your point Ronzo but I think often times we talk about different setups as if the one we are not using has no benefit and will get people killed-it simply isn’t the case. I suspect the margins of difference and safety are very small- if they even exist at all outside our own biases.

MERXLIN

oh ok ... lol
thanks for clearing me up ...

i do want to thieve this thread for a spell however and ask the users of the air2s a question ...
it seems like most of you say it "can work" but than follow it up with something like (but not as good as my poseidons) ...

so here is my question ... do you recommend them for a new diver who is only beginning to get a grasp on ascents?

This is a great question. Actually, no I don't, unless they already have one while they are doing their certification, and the instructor allows them to use it while training. I find this a bit hypocritical on the part of some instructors that have a tie to their shops. They will teach one method using an actual octo but have no problem selling a different piece of gear to a new diver, one that they have not learned how to use. There is a level of personal responsibility involved here too. I don't expect when I buy gear that it comes with personal instruction, but this is a major piece of equipment, not a wetsuit or fin, where if it's not quite right has the potential huge downside.

Now that said, I do not believe that these are hard to learn to use, but you do need to train with them to get proficient. I like the convenience, and the newer versions (mostly the other brands like Aqualungs AirSource 3) are much more comfortable than the originals. I put a MiFlex hose on my Air II and it made a huge difference in the comfort.

I would say the BC is a bigger issue than the air 2. As mentioned by many above as a regulator and inflator the air 2 works fine for rec diving. The idea of it being in the same place like a neckless is very true, however I agree that anyone that has an air 2 should have a longer hose on their primary to make sharing more comfortable. And like with any equipment the diver should train to use properly and continue to practice.

The issue is controlling ones assent while sharing air using the air 2. Adding air is easy you do not even have to take the air 2 from your mouth. Venting air if your BC can only dump via the inflator than the air 2 can function, but would be a major hassell and add stress. Now if you have multiple pull dump points and a long hose so you are not on top of your buddy venting air is not a problem.

I think a lot of the anti air 2 argument was originally an effort from the SP competitors prior to the patent expiration. Now that many manufacuters make a similiar product the argument is still out there, but they will be happy to sell you their version.

personal preference aside, if you´re going to be using an air2, bugied octo, or a can of farts as a safe second, be sure that your buddy knows what the deal is... if your buddy runs out of air, and is not aware that you have the air2, it could turn really ugly really fast...

personal preference aside, if you´re going to be using an air2, bugied octo, or a can of farts as a safe second, be sure that your buddy knows what the deal is... if your buddy runs out of air, and is not aware that you have the air2, it could turn really ugly really fast...

It doesn't matter if the buddy knows you have an Air-2. The Air-2 isn't donated, it's used by the current occupant of the BC.

The buddy gets the primary.

Terry

It doesn't matter if the buddy knows you have an Air-2. The Air-2 isn't donated, it's used by the current occupant of the BC.

The buddy gets the primary.

Terry

It does matter so that the buddy, if uneducated or out of panic, starts looking for an octo and not your primary. Also, I like to priactice using my Air II, and if your buddy doesn't know what you are using, can freak a little when you are breathing off your inflator and your primary is flagging in the current.

BTW, ALWAYS tell your buddy pre-dive that you are planning to switch to your spare while on the ascent or safety stop, etc. so they don't think something is wrong.

finally this discussion has become a quality exchange of respectable opinions.

can we all agree that the air2 can be a practical piece of equipment (as can many other pieces of equipment) when proper training and lots of practice are the way of the diver in the discussion?

i DO like the idea of a longer hose for the primary as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom