I have a dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My scouts and I built an ROV last summer and we take it on dives for those boys who don't want to get certified. We have made 15 dives with the ROV in the water with a bunch of 14-18 year olds and had no issue whatsoever.

It all depends on the how comfortable the divers with the ROV operators capabilities.

Only cost us $350 to build..

rov.jpg

Nice ... how about some more photos and construction details? Please ...

I'm selling these custom made 4-speed Diver Propulsion Vehicles at a special price of $2,350 to any ScubaBoard member who sends me a pm and makes a deposit to my PayPal account.

The first 100 divers also get a long extension cord.

Make sure you plug it into a GFI protected outlet.

Table_Fan.jpg

My scouts and I built an ROV last summer and we take it on dives for those boys who don't want to get certified. We have made 15 dives with the ROV in the water with a bunch of 14-18 year olds and had no issue whatsoever.

It all depends on the how comfortable the divers with the ROV operators capabilities.

Only cost us $350 to build..

rov.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun. How long is your umbilical? What kind of signal are you controlling it with.

Does anyone know where to get information on what kind of signals I need and how to generate them from a joystick. Voltage drop is my problem. I want to have about a 5-600 ft umbilical and I'm trying to figure out how to control the motors. I'm planning on having battery/motor controller onboard and just need a way to send signals from a surface controller

To the original poster: anytime you want to come to S FL and "fly" your ROV off my boat, you're welcome. I'm just getting into them and want to build something like the Video Ray

http://www.videoray.com/categories/overview

That looks like a lot of fun. How long is your umbilical? What kind of signal are you controlling it with.

Does anyone know where to get information on what kind of signals I need and how to generate them from a joystick. Voltage drop is my problem. I want to have about a 5-600 ft umbilical and I'm trying to figure out how to control the motors. I'm planning on having battery/motor controller onboard and just need a way to send signals from a surface controller

To the original poster: anytime you want to come to S FL and "fly" your ROV off my boat, you're welcome. I'm just getting into them and want to build something like the Video Ray

VideoRay ROVs

Just putting my inner electronics' dude to work, judging by the pigtail of wires coming off the device, each motor probably has it's own controlling switch with a common ground for all three. As for the camera, more than likely a standard ccd yanked from an old camcorder that was then put into a homemade pressure housing. The LED array could be from anything but it looks pre-fabricated. The frame is probably regular PVC pipe, but I wouldn't doubt that the bottom pipes are filled with something to make them rather negatively bouyant and keep the machine upright, just like it has the foam blocks installed topside for the same purpose.

Of course, this is my speculation and I would really love to hear how it was actually done. Looks like it was a lot of fun and a great home engineering challenge.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom