I have a dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FightingDrag

Registered
Reaction score
but either way i have a answer, but i want the communitys opinion on this.

Recently i have gotten a wild hair and two big things have stood out to me in my life so far. Snorkling in hawaii and swimming with a sea turtle, and canopy flight skydiving.
I have decided to learn hang gliding, and im interested in scuba,
My Problem is this....

Im a Heart patient. :shakehead:
I am having my mom ask the cardiologist if i can or not, If i can, im going to get freediving certified, if i cant, well, heres the question to all of you....

Would you accept someone diving using a ROV
Google it, and No i dont mean one of those giant honkers i mean somthing like ROV's from Seabotix (search for it, i cant post URL's)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

link here: http://www.seabotix.com/

I can see the pro's and the cons, but as divers with experience, would you be ok with someone at a diving site using one of these?

since, if my cardiologist says no, i cant dive deeper than 30 feet. :crying:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I can think of no certification agency that will clear you for scuba diving with out a medical release from your physician. Sorry..
Chris SSI instructor

Would you accept someone diving using a ROV

I don't think I'd want to be diving in the vicinity of a ROV due to safety concerns.

Hi...much to popular belief, you can be certified without a medical clearance. I had to get a medical clearance for my commercial diving courses, and have to be certified every year because i am over 40. I recieved my open water, and advanced and rescue diver all without a medical. I only had to get a medical when I started my divemasters course and beyond. I have used rov in commercial diving, and I would have no problem diving with anyone that is using one.

Good luck

J

Aloha,

I live on Maui and manage a dive shop there. I took a diver, who had been stricken with polio and lost the use of one of his legs, out on the boat and we used a scooter (diver propulsion vehicle) to get around. It was great!

Of course you need to get certified, which you can in less than 30' of water. Probably the PADI Scuba Diver course would work for you. It allows you to dive in shallow water and only with a professional Divemaster or Instructor.

Certainly you would need physician's approval for Scuba diving. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Teri

Unfortunately, I can think of no certification agency that will clear you for scuba diving with out a medical release from your physician. Sorry..
Chris SSI instructor

This is true as long as you make it known you have a medical condition or taking med's on regular basis. With that being said, you are doing the right thing and having your cardiologist sign off on you scuba diving. As far as an ROV being in the water with me diving....well....I have some safety concerns.
1. It running into me.
2. Me running into it.
3. Entanglement
Of course, these 3 scenarios would be unintentional; however still dangerous for the diver.

Thx for the fast replies guys.

The reason i would be using a ROV is so i can actually go below and into a normal diving area. It has a camera and steering, and i would be at the other end of the umbilical on the boat.

the reason i might not be cleared medically is because i recently had heart surgery, and even before the surgery i was told there was low odds of me being able to due to the pressure in the depths.

so, if im told no, im not even going to risk getting certified and going into a depth. Think of the fun, your diving with someone, then you hear a sickening crunch and theirs a impression in their chest and blood in the water. Fun!! (I was closed with metal wires, the idea is the wires slice through my chest when my chest collapses)

So, would you be ok with a SMALL Rov, and yes, i know there is saftey issues but you simply enclose the props and make sure everyone knows its in the water and theres a cord.

I was thinking i could place shark repellant on it, and extra oxygen for other divers to use if in a emergency or just in case. im crazily inventive. LOL

Thx again for the responces

1. It running into me.
2. Me running into it.
3. Entanglement

1. its a small craft, it would be like a gentle bump, it goes less than 5mph i belive
2. Ops! lol, i dont think it would be a problem, you wont damage anything and if its stationary, it moves in the water
3. i can understand this, but you just cut the cord, and swim it to the surface if all goes wrong. lol, it would piss me if u cut the cord just cause it got wraped 1 time aroudn your wrist. its alotta electronics work to fix a umbilical for these. but otherwise i would rather a diver be safe than a cord be intact

1. its a small craft, it would be like a gentle bump, it goes less than 5mph i belive
2. Ops! lol, i dont think it would be a problem, you wont damage anything and if its stationary, it moves in the water
3. i can understand this, but you just cut the cord, and swim it to the surface if all goes wrong. lol, it would piss me if u cut the cord just cause it got wraped 1 time aroudn your wrist. its alotta electronics work to fix a umbilical for these. but otherwise i would rather a diver be safe than a cord be intact

I wouldn't mind diving with your ROV if it was a planned dive, but I wouldn't want it around otherwise. There's enough to deal with without including plans for how to deal with some guys ROV.

I say these things having never dived with a ROV, but I have visions of umbilical snags, collisions and an overall unpleasant feeling from the experience. I dive to relax a lot of the time and hearing motors underwater can be unnerving, especially when you are not aware of their source.

Now, if we are talking about 60'+ vis, I'm briefed and the ROV doesn't get in my way on the dive, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

ok, I'm not a doctor and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night....

Most of your body is water and not affected directly by the pressure in the way you are thinking, because water is not compressible. The pressure really only affects the air spaces in your body, and when you dive they will be "equalized" to be the same pressure as everything around you. You need to talk to a cardiologist who understands diving. Whether or not pressure is a problem in some way, there are lots of other things that could be a problem.

When you talk about getting freediving certified, do you actually mean scuba certified? Freediving is a completely different thing than scuba, you don't use a tank in freediving. I don't quite follow the 30' thing. As far as scuba, 30' is not magic, some things are actually more dangerous above 30' because the rate of pressure change is faster. If you mean you'd freedive and are saying you can't freedive below 30' - well if pressure is actually an issue I'd be more concerned about freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom