I hate my "HOG" Harness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loosen the shoulder straps up--a lot---.

or

Put a buckle in the LH strap like we used to do and still do.

N

I squat down so that the tops of my shoulders are toward the bottom of the chest straps

I squat down a little and put both arms in just a little at the same time. That gets things started. I then put my left arm in first (because of the DS valve) while working the right arm a little. It then seems to pop on. Good luck.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Getting down a little low makes the whole thing much easier to get in to (and out of). If you have aluminum doubles, they'll stand on their own. Otherwise, either lean them up against something or have a buddy steady them. I'll bet if you squat down you'll get in in... 5 seconds flat.

Squat, arms through, stand up.

Put a buckle in the LH strap like we used to do and still do.
N

How very maximum-ist of you.

How very maximum-ist of you.

Lol.

The hog harness is not the easiest rig to get in and out of for most people (myself included). I can do it, but it's especially inelegant in doubles. The difference is, it's works out beautifully in the water, and that's really what matters.

Practice will certainly help, but I suggest not making self-don/doff a huge priority in your rig selection process. For one, you'll just get it as you dive the rig more, but more importantly, helping your buddy (and vice versa) also gives you more opportunities to make sure everything is in order.

I would also bring up the the idea of putting a single 2in quick release on one side by the chest d-ring. But DON'T cut the webbing. Instead leave about 6-8 inches of play between either side of the quick release The webbing folds right in behind it self... This way it is still continious webbing, however if you need to you can get a few more inches in the sholder to facilitate getting your arm in.

I read about it on here and found it to be useful. But after a few times getting in and out found I didn't need it after all.

I would also bring up the the idea of putting a single 2in quick release on one side by the chest d-ring. But DON'T cut the webbing. Instead leave about 6-8 inches of play between either side of the quick release The webbing folds right in behind it self... This way it is still continious webbing, however if you need to you can get a few more inches in the sholder to facilitate getting your arm in.

I read about it on here and found it to be useful. But after a few times getting in and out found I didn't need it after all.

That's an interesting idea.

That is a great idea!!!

Why would someone like post a dumb-a** comment like that???????? Why do people treat this as a joke?

Your harness.....used to have a transplate, hate the hog harness......Just so happens, I'm the biggest Diverite dealer in Canada and one of North America's top 6 Halcyon dealers....How loose is your harness? What size doubles are you wearing? What kind of exposure suit are you wearing?

PM me we'll figure it out.

I'm sure this the best way to help him out is to talk **** about his legitimate question. Nice man, you're cool.

Unless you have a serious disablement in your upper body, there really is no need to add gimmicks to a HOG/KISS harness.

Refinement, adjustment and practice makes perfect.

Don't "hate the harness", hate the fact that you haven't gotten it perfected yet...and let that drive you to make it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's that hard to get in and out of, your harness is too tight. You know the saying that most people are walking around dehydrated on a daily basis. Well, the same is true of HOG harnesses. Most divers are diving with their harnesses too tight.

You also need to adjust it for the suit you'll actually be wearing. I have three separate harnesses, not just because they are necessary for different equipment configurations, but also because the fit and trim will change when you switch from dry suit to a wetsuit. I tried endlessly to get my harness adjusted just right so I could wear it with both a dry suit and 7mm wetsuit. It was impossible to get it perfectly adjusted for both suits. I finally gave up and bought another setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom