I hate my "HOG" Harness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried out my new HOG harness today hate it!

<snip>

im not overly large by my judgments at 5'10" 200 lbs. and think im pretty flexible but is this part of the "HOG" harness or is there something im not doing right. i think i could even tighten it up a little more as i had a little wobble in it at depth. if i can get it figured out, im going to order a harness from dive rite with the quick disconnects

brett

for singles i still use my transplate with a stainless steel bp and rec wing

When you adjust the harness, you need to adjust it wearing the exposure suit you plan to use. Try having the shoulder strap loose enough that you can slide a balled up fist under it at chest level. Tighten/loosen from there til you get the fit that's right for you.

Once you get about 12 dives on it, post whether you still hate it or not.

Why would someone like post a dumb-a** comment like that???????? Why do people treat this as a joke?

Your harness.....used to have a transplate, hate the hog harness......Just so happens, I'm the biggest Diverite dealer in Canada and one of North America's top 6 Halcyon dealers....How loose is your harness? What size doubles are you wearing? What kind of exposure suit are you wearing?

PM me we'll figure it out.

Not sure which dumb-a** comment you're refering to, but I'm thinking this isnt the type of response I'd expect to see from a major dealer, or what I'd hope to hear if I was a customer coming into your shop.

It could be too tight, OR you are just not used to it.

I have a one piece harness. It took a few dives to get used to getting in/out of it. Now it's not bad, but sometimes I still get it stuck on my valve if I'm not paying attention.

It maybe too tight, and even if that is the case, it does take some getting used. too.

As everybody else has said, adjustment is key, and adjustment for the exposure suit you are using is also important. The first time I put on my backplate with a continuous harness, I got completely stuck in it . . . In my house, in my drysuit, where I was close to dying of heat exhaustion.

Today, I wouldn't use anything else. It just took time, both to get the adjustment right, and to optimize the technique. I can don my gear on the boat or in the water, and take it off either place, too. You'll figure it out.

A one piece harness does not have to be as tight as you'd think. People who have trouble getting in and out of them have the shoulder straps adjusted way too tight.

First off you could always go back to your Transplate. That is what I use on my warm water rigs and have not issues. If fact the metal plates on the waist strap IMHO place the shoulder straps in a more comfortable location - some day I might rig a continuous webbing harness with the metal plates.

As others have described, getting a good fit in a continuous harness is key. Also getting low and sort of coming "up" into the harness helps a bit. If the rig is lower than you are such as on picnic table or a smaller SUV makes for a tougher entry. In cave country (in Florida) many of the parks have nice benches for rigging up.
The benches are relatively high (with backs to lean the tanks against) and really make getting into/and out of a rig easier. I most frequently dive with DR Deluxe harness and when diving caves I never unclip the one shoulder strap, but when diving from boats in the Great Lakes I find it easiest to unclip and exit - especially with thick gloves on.

Web Monkey:
Once it's adjusted (this may be a little looser than you were expecting), getting in and out shouldn't take any special contortions and it should be quite comfortable.
A one piece harness does not have to be as tight as you'd think. People who have trouble getting in and out of them have the shoulder straps adjusted way too tight.
While it is always a challenge to remotely diagnose fit issues, I think Web Monkey and DA are probably correct, based on your description (even though you mention a 'wobble' in the water). It really is a process of trial and error, and adjustment (fit of the harness to your exposure suit, and you to the characteristics of a one piece), as several have mentioned. Ultimately, you will find what works best for you. I am the same size as you in terms of height and weight, feel that I am reasonably flexible, and I wouldn't say it is easy, but it is certainly doable with practice, I find it easiest if I have my tanks standing upright on a ledge (e.g. the bench where I set them up), I squat down so that the tops of my shoulders are toward the bottom of the chest straps, put both hands in (straight, not chicken wing) slide the arms in (sliding the left shoulder strap over the valve) and slide my shoulders up toward the top of the plate. But, that is just what works for me. Even then, I prefer to have a quick-release on the left side to GET OUT of the rig after a dive. I took a single piece of webbing, fitted it to a plate and marked the position on the left side where I wanted a quick-release, and had a shoe repair shop sew the release into the harness.

I squat down a little and put both arms in just a little at the same time. That gets things started. I then put my left arm in first (because of the DS valve) while working the right arm a little. It then seems to pop on. Good luck.

If you still want a DR Quick Release, PM me as I have a used one I can sell you.

Check adjustment.

Try this link for help:

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

Description without pics below.

Adjusting the backplate/harness

by GUE Instructor Cody Gardner (inactive) and Peter Steinhoff.

It's important to have the harness properly adjusted. It doesn't have to be super tight but it shouldn't be sloppy either. This is a guideline that will help you get it right.

If you are tall like me, (6'5", 1.95m) you may need to wear the backplate slightly lower than in the pictures.
When you do the adjustments try to wear something of similar thickness to your underwear or wetsuit.

Adjustment checklist:
Make sure the harness is properly weaved.
Adjust the length of the shoulder straps.
Adjust the height of the shoulder D-rings.
Check that it's evenly adjusted.
Adjust the waist strap.
Adjust the left D-ring.
Adjust the length of the crotch strap.
Adjust the back D-ring.
1. Is the harness properly weaved?
Before we start, make sure you have the harness properly weaved. It should be a one-piece harness and it must be weaved like this to work.
2. The length of the shoulder straps.
Adjust the harness so that you can easily reach back and touch the upper part of the plate. The top of the plate should be an inch or so below your prominent vertebra (the one that sticks out). Don't put on the crotch strap or waist belt just yet.
3. Placement of the shoulder D-rings.
Extend your arms and close your eyes. Make sure your thumbs touch the D-rings when you bring your arms in.

Make sure the D-rings aren't too low - they will restrict your range of motion otherwise.

4. Make sure that the right and left side are the same.
Double-check that you got the same shoulder strap length on both sides and that the D-rings are placed in the same spot. Adjust if necessary.

5. Adjust the waist strap.
The waist strap shouldn't be too tight and it should never restrict your breathing. Make sure the buckle is on your right side. You can place it all the way back to hold the canister light in place but most people use a second buckle for that.

Weave the buckle like this:

6. Adjust the left D-ring.
Align it with the center of your body.

7. Adjust the crotch strap.
The crotch strap should be fairly loose. Pull on it and make it an inch (25mm) longer than what it takes to reach the waist strap.

If you are not flying scooters, you can stow your D-ring like this. We don't do that any more. Always keep the D-ring deployed.

8. Adjust the back D-ring.
Sometimes you need to clip things to your back D-ring. Put it as high as possible but not under your tanks.

Tips and tricks
If you intend to scooter I recommend fixating your crotch strap with bolts or by sewing when you are satisfied with the adjustments. Several people have had the crotch strap come undone on serious dives.

thank you to everyone that has added some tips. its possible i have it to tight or that i just need to get more comfortable with it. im sure with a wetsuit it would be great but youll shouldve seen me floundering trying to get the dang thing on and off. i have it standing on my tailgate which is high so im assuming that is helping me too! i might mess with it some more today and see if i can get it any better. double 108s are heavy!

brett

youll shouldve seen me floundering trying to get the dang thing on and off.
brett

So what? If you aren't solo diving your teammate can lend a hand.

Practice and adjustment will help. Pay attention to what is hanging up. Simple things like rotating instruments to the inside of your wrist can be a big help.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom