I hate Cam bands.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having recently had shoulder surgery, I am always trying to minimize the lifting effort. After popping open the quick-release cam strap, I find by putting my good arm through the shoulder straps, I can lift the BCD/weights enough to get the adjustment strap over the tank valve, move it to the new tank, drop the adjustment strap over the new valve, and then clamp shut the quick-release cam strap. No lifting of anything more than about 3 inches, or for more than 10-15 seconds. There are no issues with adjusting the quick-release cam ban so long as you stick with AL80s or whatever. it is switching between tank sizes that is a pain, but this rarely happens with that BCD.

I understand the frustration with cam bands. I've had dive shops not be able to set them up properly. Just the other day I had to show a couple how to thread theirs. I'm fortunate in that I rarely remove my harness/wing from my tank. The local fill station fills my tank without my having to remove it from the harness/wing.

OP, you're discounting the value of the workout your arms get in lifting the BC! Weight training without trying! :D
stock-vector-weak-136316624.jpg

thanks guys. i am looking at the DGX bands. 1/2 the price of the aqualung with all the benefits from what i can see... really thank you for all the help... even the kinda help from @Marie13

I have regular cam bands and often unthread them from the buckle completely when changing cylinders. I put the BC flat on whatever surface is available and set the tank on it, and weave the bands.

If you practice weaving them, enough times so you can do it automatically without thinking, it can be done very quickly.

I have regular cam bands and often unthread them from the buckle completely when changing cylinders. I put the BC flat on whatever surface is available and set the tank on it, and weave the bands.

If you practice weaving them, enough times so you can do it automatically without thinking, it can be done very quickly.

That's the reason l like the Highland Cam Bands, which let you unhook them. I do find the hooks too deep, but easily fixed them with a hacksaw and file. See: Do you have either of these tank straps?. Post #25

I tried the Highland ones and hated them. I gave them away (literally).

I got the DGX ScubaPro-style ones and love them.

I use a pair of the Highland cam bands with the quick release I purchased from Dive Gear Express.
I use them for the very same reason the OP is asking to use them for (pony tamer, pony bracket). Now it is a quick 5 minute job to mount it on the tank and adjust the rotation/clocking so the pony sits tucked close to the side. No more 30 minute threading through all the slots and adjusting to get it done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom