I got certified!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, finally got my basic PADI cert. a few weeks ago, and did my TDI basic Nitrox stuff this past weekend. I've got all my own equipment minus a tank and a couple odds and ends.

I had a question or two for the hive mind.....
I really enjoy the TDI stuff..it is more in-depth (bad pun intended) than the padi stuff from what i've seen so far. Anyway, i'm at a crossroads. I want to take this new love in my life professional, but I'm slowly working my way up the ranks.
So, there is a Padi AOW class next week. Should I go ahead and take it, and then start working on my specialties through TDI? I just don't like the idea of being an "advanced" diver after just a handful of dives, but I'm on vacation in a couple weeks and I'm going to try to dive on what the shop calls "advanced" (130ft) wrecks.
What should I do, people?

p.s.-diving kicks ***!!!

I didn't think TDI offered recreational specialties?? Don't do the 130 dive. That's just crazy for a new diver. You don't know the trouble you can get into.

I highly recommend that you refrain from diving at 130' depths untill you are a more experienced diver. That being said I also highly recommend TDI training over PADI training. I am AOW PADI certified, but also TDI certified in advanced nitrox and extended range (deep diving), as well as being a certified solo diver. It has been my experience that TDI instruction is far superior to PADI.

It can't hurt you to do your AOW now, especially if you add PPB as one of the electives. The deep dive will probably be somewhere between 80 and 100' and you'll have an instructor with you. Not a bad way to be introduced to depth. Definitely wait to go to 130' until you have worked out bouyancy and how it changes as you descend and ascend, and generally gained more experience.

Hinalo:
It can't hurt you to do your AOW now, especially if you add PPB as one of the electives. The deep dive will probably be somewhere between 80 and 100' and you'll have an instructor with you. Not a bad way to be introduced to depth. Definitely wait to go to 130' until you have worked out bouyancy and how it changes as you descend and ascend, and generally gained more experience.

Hmmm. What about getting narced out of your gourd, gas supply management, losing the ascent line, just to name a few potential problems. :shakehead

The PADI AOW is a good class with a horrible name. I feel it should be added on to BOW as it is just a couple more easy dives that introduces a new diver to a few more experiences.
Dont quit your day job to become a scuba instructor, there is not a lot of money to be made in SCUBA for most people.
Take the AOW and then just dive as much as you can. When you have a few dives under your belt, look into a wreck class through TDI, then maybe a Cavern class, eventually you can look into the advanced nitrox and deco theory class. Another class highly recommended is Rescue Diver, if it is taught strictly by the book... you will still probably learn something.
HTH
good luck

TheRedHead:
Hmmm. What about getting narced out of your gourd, gas supply management, losing the ascent line, just to name a few potential problems. :shakehead
narced out of your gourd at 100 feet? I have heard of very few PADI classes that take the students below 100'
gas supply management is something the student should be doing their very first dive during certification
losing the ascent line, they are with the instructor right?

Welcome to the club! I'd never heard of TDI for nitrox(I had a TDI Jetta once, great gas mileage, lol), but based on what you and another poster said, I'll have to look into them when I go for my nitrox.

As far as 130 goes, ask 20 people and you'll get 20 different answers. Without a "set" number of dives being a requirement to get AOW, and the different levels of comfort and skill that divers attain(just like some people learn faster than others), there is no real right or wrong answer, IMO. My 14th and 15th dives were on the USCG Duane(max depth 106 feet) and the Spiegel Grove(max depth 86 feet) with an instructor, as part of my AOW. When I told the boat that the Grove was dive #15, they immediately complimented my buoyancy and ability. I was completely comfortable, and had the time of my life! Would I have done that without an instructor? Absolutely not! Would I do it now? Absolutely!

So, it comes down to you. Even though I am still a newbie, I tell everyone that 99% of being a good diver is being comfortable with your equipment, your environment, and your buddy. Everything else just seems to fall in place after that, at least for me. Happy diving and stay within your(no-deco) limits!

David P:
narced out of your gourd at 100 feet? I have heard of very few PADI classes that take the students below 100'
gas supply management is something the student should be doing their very first dive during certification
losing the ascent line, they are with the instructor right?

yes, narced at 100 feet is not that uncommon for a new diver who may be over task loaded at that depth with little dive experience, and as for gas management PADI OW courses teach relativly nothing on gas management, not to mention newbies tend to have a rather high sac rate, and as for diving with an instructor Deep Seven will be on vacation and most likely diving with a group of people with a resort DM rather than diving a training class with an instructor...

again, I suggest shallower dives untill you gain more experience

Back
Top Bottom