I got a free trip to Cancun! Where should I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So a customer is flying me down there to do some work on their yacht at Isla Mujeres and putting me up in a hotel for the night! All I have to pay for is diving. :)

Flight arrives about 9 AM this Saturday morning and leaves about 3:45 PM the next day. Really gonna try to get a dive or 2 in. It's 2 hour flight from Ft Lauderdale apparently. Any ideas about who I should go with and if the time I have available will be doable for some diving? Just working Sunday so I'll have Saturday to myself. Would love to go with someone who puts a DM in the water so I don't have to rely on some possibly inept instabuddy. Any recommendations on any good beginner friendly spots? I like big stuff. I'll need to rent tanks and weights, and maybe a BC and regs. If anyone has any tips, that would be much appreciated! :)

If you're on the ground for a little more than a day, you're cutting your no-fly time close trying to squeeze in a dive or two. I'd say relax & enjoy the top side of Isla Mujeres. Rent a golf cart to do a driving tour, check out the water bottle island, maybe stop by & do the zipline along the way.

If you're on the ground for a little more than a day, you're cutting your no-fly time close trying to squeeze in a dive or two. I'd say relax & enjoy the top side of Isla Mujeres. Rent a golf cart to do a driving tour, check out the water bottle island, maybe stop by & do the zipline along the way.

The way I'm trying to plan it, I will have almost 24 hours SI before flying back. That seems good to me from what I've been reading.

keep your DAN card handy.....

I have it on me at all times. :) But I'm curious as to why you would say that? Is a 22 or 24 hour SI before flying not enough? From what I've learned in my training classes, PADI recommends only 12 hours for a single tank dive and 18 hours for a multiple day/tank dive.

According to the DAN article posted above: it says "The U.S. Navy tables recommend that you wait at least two hours before you board a plane after diving; the U.S. Air Force says you should wait 24 hours; DAN recommends a 12-hour minimum surface interval before flying. Which guideline should you follow?"

Of course they are still just recommendations! But does anyone recommend a longer than 24 hour SI?

Your plane lands at 9 am right? You're going to need to clear immigration, get your bags, find your way from the airport to the hotel (if you're staying in Isla Mujeres, that'll most likely involve a ferry crossing), unpack, get your dive gear ready, get to the dive operator, check in there, rent gear, and get a local dive briefing. At that point you expect to have a boat with a DM waiting to whisk you away to the dive site so you can spalsh by 3:00 pm so you can make your 24 hour SI, and oh by the way you wanna see big stuff. I don't think you have very realistic expectations. Take the trip for what it is, a quick jaunt to an exotic location, relax and enjoy it. Don't overload yourself.

Your plane lands at 9 am right? You're going to need to clear immigration, get your bags, find your way from the airport to the hotel (if you're staying in Isla Mujeres, that'll most likely involve a ferry crossing), unpack, get your dive gear ready, get to the dive operator, check in there, rent gear, and get a local dive briefing. At that point you expect to have a boat with a DM waiting to whisk you away to the dive site so you can spalsh by 3:00 pm so you can make your 24 hour SI, and oh by the way you wanna see big stuff. I don't think you have very realistic expectations. Take the trip for what it is, a quick jaunt to an exotic location, relax and enjoy it. Don't overload yourself.

I didn't make this post asking for advice on surface intervals, flying, logistics or my expectations. I am only looking for advice on where to dive or who to dive with, not advice on how to manage surface intervals, flying or logistics... If your comments are not about where to go or who to go with, sorry, but they are unwanted and unneeded.

I've haven't dove Isla Mujeres, so I can't help with recommendations (sorry for the hijack!), but I've thought about it as being a good location to vacation with my dive-buddy /brother-in-law and our non-diving wives ....

I know it's an outstanding trip above the water, I'd love to see a trip report when you get back for perspective on how it is under the water!

Thanks in advance
SSSSteve

I recommend Carey Dive Center on Isla Mujeres. I dove with them when I was down there and they are a pretty good operation. Do the "No name reef" drift dive if you can it was a great dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom