I finally changed my diving club: report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last night I had one of the most humbling experiences in my very limited diving life.

I recently changed my diving club and last night I went for the first time as an "active" to the new pool.

I was expecting some sort of "test" in order for the new club people to get an idea of what I can and can't do, they decided to join a Staff Instructor and what they presented to me as their best Dive Master and make them play the "total beginner" part, me being the "instructor".

The equipment assembly part went smoothily, they played as dumb as they come, but that was no problem, then we got into the water and I was asked to demonstrate a few basics (partial and total emptying of mask, fins pivot, regulator recuperation); I did as I had been taught during my Dive Master course, trying to exaggerate the movements, moving around so everyone could have a good look at what I did with my arms as well as my legs; I can't say I felt having being perfect, but I was nervous and all in all I felt it was a fairly decent demonstration.

After the show (and their close to imperfect repetition, they are indeed good actors), I indicated we whould resurface; I was in for a surprise "do you mind a few comments?"

Of course not, I'm always looking forward to chances of improvement.

OK, now we go down again and this time it's Catherine's turn to do what you previously did.

Catherine is the Dive Master, a young, very fit and very thin girl of 26, and as soon as she started I knew they hadn't exaggerated saying she is the best they have.

I felt (and still feel) as if I were back to my very first pool session back three years ago, and I thought "I blew it, they are going to write to PADI saying I don't deserve being a DM".

"This is what I expect out of a Dive Master": gulp!

"You can come and train with us, but if you want to join the staff I promise you'll be up to it in no time, you're not bad, but that's normal standards PADI and they don't really coincide with what you can do"; you might think I was awfully offended, no, I'm very glad I ended up in there.

I have known for a while that I can dive in almost all water conditions, and I also have had a few qualms about the quality of my previous instruction, now I know for sure.

I'll work very hard in order to get the friends out of the previous club, they deserve knowing better; and I'll also work very hard to at least come close to what I saw last night.

Its not often you find someone who can take an experience like that and turn it positive.

Kudo's to you.

Its good that you can recognize shortcommings and are willing to work to bring them up to a higher level. Its even better you found someone who is willing to teach you to that level.

Best wishes to you,

TwoBit

As TwoBit said, your post speaks well of you. *You want to achieve DM level. *You went outside your comfort zone to start the process. *You're taking critical comments as "here's how to improve" rather than "here's where you went wrong'. That means you have more self-respect than foolish pride, a good combination!

It also speaks well of your new organization that they were willing to help and work with you.

Good for you!

I like your attitude! We can all improve our skills and it takes a well adjusted person to recieve criticism and learn from it.

It also says alot about the new club and it's members. They not only gave you a fair evaluation, they showed you what was expected and offered to help you achieve it. I'd say good on them as well!

I just wanted to add that what you did took a lot of courage.

Some people would have said "I've got the DM title, so I don't really need to do anything now. I'll just get by." But you decided to see for yourself where you stood in your training. And to do something POSITIVE about it!

Congratulations. I'm very proud of you! :)

~SubMariner~

She's not an honarary Texas Swamp Diver for nuttin'! :D

Humility is a great virtue in the water. Thanks for sharing that experience. I like the way the club handled the situation. Rather than letting the evaluation be up to the ego of one person, they worked as a team & offered tangible feedback. I am glad to hear it when diving brings people together for the betterment of all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom