I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see them all. I could have done without the amputation pic as I was chewing my sandwich. :)

It's all a part of where you live here. I picked a place during a flood. I saw what was flooded and got a good idea about mosquitos. I simply love this place.

don't be nasty about mosquitos, you are talking about a major Florida cash crop.

Michael

Back to Nugget, the VelociRooster... I've started the build on his coop. Now many of you may not realize this, but we have a very strict law in Florida. A chicken coop can have only two doors. No more and certainly no less. Any deviation will result in a Chicken Sedan. :D

img-20211017-wa0006.jpg

First a wonderful pic of the bird by @Moose

20211017_121929.jpg

I added a base for stability and to be able to attach chicken wire to the structure

20211017_165857.jpg

I added a lower and upper roost. He can probably make it in one hop, but this adds stability.

20211017_201223.jpg

I had to carry him out to his roost and he stayed there all night.

20211018_104653.jpg

Apparently, the 1 1/2" edge isn't enough for comfort, so I added a 1x6" plank on top.​

The posts are 1 3/8" wise, so I used a Forstner bit to hollow out the connections between wood and pole. These carbide-tipped Forstner bits are wicked quick and easy to work with, even when I'm drilling the 2x4s across the long way (3 1/2"). it's quite the smooth bore to boot.

Last night, he tried to roost on the lamp outside so we took it down. When I came out about 8:00 pm he had decided to roost on the handrail for the porch. It was dark and he allowed me to get close, and then he allowed me to pet him for the first time. I went back in and realized that I could probably pick him up and did so. He was quite tense at first, but I walked him out and put him on his new roost. That was really cool.

If you want to spoil him round the top edge of the 2x4 it will help him/them hold on.
Actually, the skinny is that they prefer something a lot wider than that. That's why I put the plank on top. When I checked on him this morning, he was pretty upright, and I know he likes to scootch down.

I laid in a header today for the front door and will frame that on out. I want to find 6'x60' chicken wire to wrap the whole thing in after I make some hatching boxes.

Now many of you may not realize this, but we have a very strict law in Florida. A chicken coop can have only two doors. No more and certainly no less. Any deviation will result in a Chicken Sedan. :D
I spent a good 20 seconds trying to figure that out. But at least it will eventually make sense even to us denser Americans.

Should we explain it to your British readers or just leave them confused?

I spent a good 20 seconds trying to figure that out. But at least it will eventually make sense even to us denser Americans.

Should we explain it to your British readers or just leave them confused?
you mean coupe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom