I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can relate to that. I have been installing machines as an electrical contractor all across the US, Mexico, and South America for the last 35 years. I also rent out 8 cottages and boats on a lake in upstate NY. Yes the real upstate, I am 3 mile from the Canadian border NE of Lake Placid, Ny. The cottages have been listed for sale and my "barn" is full of a mish-mosh of cables, controls, wire, contractors, and a varied assortment of electrical supplies. Not to mention enough diving gear for a small army, including tanks!! As for tools,,well let's not go there,, 3 welders, 1 MIG, 250 Amp, 1 350Amp TIG, and 1 250 AMP stick. So the move is not an adventure I look forward to. Best of luck and keep looking ahead to the end, if there is an end, to organizing. Can't wait to start mine, my current design garage at the new house is 33' X 52' with a full upper room. I hope it's large enough!! And with that ramble I leave you with this, need something you may think I may have,,, try me, I may or will have it!!!!

I built my shop too big, said nobody ever.

Tools must be made of water: they always fill the container they are in.

I see some tanks in the last picture please say you have been diving lately. I would hope that you haven't lost yourself in Barn building so far you haven't had any relaxing time

I got in about 6 hours with @tbone1004 a week or so ago on my SF2. Finally got to do the Grand Traverse at Peacock, which was cool. I am looking for new buddies for area caves: Peacock buddies wanted...

Sounds like fun if I could I'd be there.

Boxes, boxes everywhere! I've been going through boxes for three weeks now. I've deleted a number of them, organized a bunch more, and still there are a ton of boxes. Most of these are small boxes that hold specific items. Like Saturday when I went to Lake City for Tractor Supply, Corbett's Mobile Home Supply, Chik-Fil-A, Harbor freight and Home Depot (in that order), I realized that I had no heater blower and no windshield wipers. It was cold and the window was foggy. So while Dan was shopping, I was under the dash sussing things out. I traced it down to the 5A fuse that controlled the relay, and while I knew I had hundreds of ATO blade style fuses, I wasn't sure I had the minis. I made a final stop into a parts store, picked up the only assortment that had a 5A fuse and promptly dropped it and could not find it. Arrrrrgh. However, at the house, I found the small container and sure enough, I had 120 mini blade style fuses and was able to effect the repair.

It hit me that I could get rid of all the small boxes most of the shop would be cleared out. I looked up high and there's definitely room for a shelf, so that's the next project. Moreover, I have lots of 2x4 shorts, so maybe I can utilize them. I got a sheet of 11/32" plywood, ripped off two 16"x8' boards and one that was 12"x8'. I cut the 12" wide board into 12" squares and them cut them diagonally, corner to corner. I cut the two legs, and cut a 1/32" dado to accept lengthways so with the plywood glued in place, each one became a triangle. I then cut dados to accept supporting stringers between the supports. Here's a few pics.

UnZSXY-UWz2OQB0VlLMQA49owO5hAsyRYYdzKGOUrawOly47sNdAhR8Cg4TNheowBfN8E4l87S6k2KYAz=w2428-h1820-no.jpg

3Gy0OiZPnRB3CJLXG7u_cRAqc8Ci2Oc8OG71i784u4dI07LToWG-niDHIYxoMwT80A-SrLODjgMQY5-DR=w2428-h1820-no.jpg

A minute or so each on the 4"x36" sander, and I painted them. They are upside down in this picture:

ErSE-t8Mflb-cV0LM_SZE2uY_-2ChNbOWFYtFK-aye_t3-r8dTc6NSx34HXKnrykGMp_fwfhj2_6jBCvx=w2428-h1820-no.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll mount them on the wall, cut/fit the stringers, put a bull nose on the plywood and paint it all. If I need to, there's space up high on the back wall for another shelf.

Oh, the wonders of Ospho! My Table saw was looking more and more decrepit. I usually leave the doors open at night, so it gets pretty moist in there. There's no pitting, but the color is embarrassing:

upload_2019-3-25_16-41-39.png

Today I soaked the top with Ospho. A little scraping, a bit of steel wool and about 20 minutes of elbow grease and she looks completely different. I Didn't like a few of the last rips, so I did a tune up. The bed is about 0.004" out, which is acceptable, but the guide was almost a 1/32' off, so I got her in line. She looks good and is completely true.

2EffLvhZtqU6pnAE3s3smYkSV5wwTUM5IdlBMNSIGm88jr1ZPKPtXQLhThukBMxF-iNas0RSTGD25XVzl=w1365-h1820-no.jpg

0RJcgohR2dZk6-_y9QKvLTHKFun5sCSFyUJVOFQLOYvE-dje7xYQdhAIiNYVb0OT0Hqm_BUTSBZ4OrzA8=w2428-h1820-no.jpg

She's ready to rip the stringers tomorrow and anything else I might have for her to do. I'll let her air the next day or so and wax her down. :D :D :D

We've had a few good rainstorms as of late. I haven't put the roof over the Dust collector, so I wound up with this:

ojn4C0PbqaYAYOiqifbX2vQAfCiZq9joWBY46bCIbTGkAUVh6L2eba3EQBZT933MOpnHQK1aF_YctJYXd=w2335-h1750-no.jpg

I put a small hole in the bag so it can drain. It will have to hold for a while until I get to pouring a slab and making that roof!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom