I feel like a traitor... I just booked Bonaire.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a great very popular wreck dive that can be done from a boat or the shore, can't remember the name but it was a great night dive, ask and I am sure someone will send you in that direction.

The wreck dive is the Hilma Hooker. Get there early, as it tends to get crowded.

I've been to both destinations and will be back to them in the future.

No problem. :D

The wreck dive is the Hilma Hooker. Get there early, as it tends to get crowded.

Thanks Martha. We liked the night dive there best, we did it as a shore dive and had a great time.
I would happily go back to Bonaire. the flights from New York are a bit tough right now, you leave extremly late and arrive in the very wee hours of the morning.
Have a great trip Josh.

We can only hope, huh?

It's gotta be because on a cost per day basis, Coz wins hands down. I know it's been mentioned before about the cost per tank in Coz by some Coz forum regulars. The most dives I've ever managed in Coz for a 7-night stay has been 12. I hoping to double that for 7 nights in Bonaire therefore already cutting my cost per tank in half and then some since I'll be diving Nx there.

My average in 4 trips to Bonaire is 21 dives during a 7 day stay, with my highest the 24 you mention. Would have been a higher average if one of my trips didn't include certification work. Easy drive thru tank exchages, very accessable shore sites, great reef right off many of the resorts available to all, are factors making it easily possible to dive till you drop. Night dives and pre dawn dives are just as easy, which helps explain the higher average dive total for most of the divers I've known there.

Thanks Martha. We liked the night dive there best, we did it as a shore dive and had a great time.
I would happily go back to Bonaire. the flights from New York are a bit tough right now, you leave extremly late and arrive in the very wee hours of the morning.
Have a great trip Josh.

We're flying out of JFK Sat at @10:30 AM, arriving in the 4:30 PM range, on Delta. Our previous flights out of Newark were those red eyes.

I was going to also say the wreck you mention is the Hilma Hooker. It's an easy dive, reasonably short surface swim, with the top at @60 ft and resting at @100 ft, right up against the reef. It is a popular site and can get busy if you time it wrong. Never did it at night... nice idea! Thanks, I'll have to do that.

We have never had a problem yet with theives, but then we're careful to leave very little worth taking in the trucks. They really mean it, when they tell you to leave your trucks open and unlocked, because locking them up is asking for a break in.

gypsyjim:
We have never had a problem yet with theives, but then we're careful to leave very little worth taking in the trucks. They really mean it, when they tell you to leave your trucks open and unlocked, because locking them up is asking for a break in.

Compared to Coz, where I feel as safe as I do at home (that's not to say I let down my guard though) I'm not looking forward to dealing with it and worrying over it. We've known about it ever since we knew Bonaire was a great destination for divers which happened to be during our open water class because our instructor raved about it... so pretty much since we've been diving. However, keeping things in perspective... for every 1000 vacations that go off without a hitch that doesn't get reported in some forum, there is one incident that you're sure to hear about. All of our valuable stuff is insured so we're not going to obsess about it.... just take all the precautionary actions and if it happens, it happens. It's just a shame that it does. :shakehead:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the Cozumel forum for in depth discussions regarding Bonaire.

Uh, what's that?!?!?

Here is the Scubaboard...We made it up so that SB'ers could come by and put their stickers, cards, and whatever else they want to as long as it is rate R or less...lol..

Attachments

• scubaboard.jpg
    scubaboard.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 35
But you can blame fellow Coz forum regular H2ODOC for our destination change.

And I blame you for making me check to see how much money we would have saved if we booked our airfare when you did! I would have saved the equivalent of 150 Polar beers if I would have booked when you did. 'doh!

I also feel like a traitor as Coz somehow seems like home - even though our two trips there hardly make us "regulars". Coz seems to have that effect on people :D

Anyhoo... it's going to be a great time!

H2ODoc:
And I blame you for making me check to see how much money we would have saved if we booked our airfare when you did! I would have saved the equivalent of 150 Polar beers if I would have booked when you did. 'doh!

lol, and I have a feeling that I'm gonna be serving you those 150 Polars while we're there. :wink: Can't wait!

Have a great trip Benedict.

Seriously, Deb and I love to go back to places we're comfortable in & Cozumel is a second home for us.

We also like to explore new places, and have adopted the saying "so many islands, so little time".

It's a tough choice between the freshness of new places, or the pleasure of revisiting old friends in familiar places. Keep trying to do both, the more places you visit, the more motivated you'll be to take the time to enjoy life.

Back
Top Bottom