BONAIRE: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (Trip Report, May 16 - 23)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, human tendency being what it is, I was curious about a dive destination that was obviously popular and wanted to check it out myself. When I planned my trip to Socorro, I realised that I could add Bonaire for the second week and did.

I think Bonaire, like many things here on SB, has achieved "ScubaBoard darling" status. The result is that there's so much hype and such vociferous, if vague "just go, you'll love it" discussion that many people "just go" and invariably some find out they don't love it. There's also a loyalty factor that results in a high tendency to defend faults.

We see this with multiple brands of gear on SB, certain resorts, certain dive ops, etc as well. (I won't get into specifics here lest we further sidetrack.) This is not uncommon in many online worlds. I've seen it on bike, camera, guitar, home theater, car, and watch forums as well. Each have their darlings. Each darling has a great many people that love it, and handful of people who followed along, usually somewhat blindly, and were disappointed.

That said, I wouldn't call myself a huge Bonaire fan. I've been twice. Frankly the only reason I went back was because my buddy and I were looking for an easy trip and we got a great deal. Sure, we liked it well enough the first time... largely because we were going for the "all you can eat buffet" approach to diving. We went on the second trip with the same, appropriate mindset. The diving was good, but the quantity and access was phenomenal. Would I go back again? Maybe. If that's what I wanted.

The major issue I have with Bonaire is that none of the recent dive operators have trained or used Bonaireans in the dive industry.
One reason for that might be that a lot of young Bonaireans don't see much of a future in their own country and are going elsewhere to further their ambitions. VIP Diving are training a very nice youngster (sorry, I forgot his name) and he accompanied us to 1000 Steps. He is very good as a diver but from what he told me, he has no plans to make that into a profession. He wants to go to the US eventually to make a career for himself.

Reactions: RJP
I am not a fan of Bonaire but I do not hate it either. This is why I stated specifically that I will be doing a second trip there sometime. In my reviews, I try to do justice to all angles to give a complete picture.

I disagree that crime is higher in US. Depends where in USA you are from but I have not had anything stolen from me since 2006. In Bonaire we were hit with crime of the second day. It is petty crime and you can convince yourself to take it in a stride but anyone planning a first time vacation somewhere needs to be aware of this factor.

Last week in Houston TX my daughter had her wallet stolen out of her diaper bag at the children's museum... A month ago someone stole about $250.00 worth of fresh pork from the trailer of my truck in Hunts Point, NYC... Two years ago my brother had his motorcycle stolen at gunpoint at a red light in Queens,NYC... My father-in-law has had his cars stolen and broken in to so many times he no longer locks the doors, also in Queens, NYC... My older brother has had lawn mowers to bikes stolen from his backyard in Amityville, NY (Long Island) ... My Mother has had her apartment in SoHo, NYC broken into twice over the years...

Bonaire is FAR SAFER than the US...

Jim....

And I will add... Alot of people feel that other divers are a large part of the stealing from other divers that goes on ...

Tanks are fine as are towels and water bottles... crackers and bananas are also safe... I guess they could steal and sell my cheap flip-flops and old T-shirt....

Jim...
Except for tanks, every single one of those items has been mentioned stolen from a rental truck in Bonaire on this very forum. Also mentioned are spare tires, car batteries and even gas.

Bonaire is the only location I have to leave my rental vehicle unlocked per the rental companies instructions or I assume all financial risk for broken windows. Hawaii comes in a close 2nd for the warning, but they don't require it by threatening you with responsibility for broken windows. In the 50 odd countries I've rented vehicles in Bonaire is the only one that I can't lock my vehicle. I've locked probably 6 dozen different rental cars in the US.

The petty theft in bonaire sucks, it's the one ugly thorn in an otherwise beautiful bouquet of roses that bonaire is.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2015 at 01:35 PM ----------

And I will add... Alot of people feel that other divers are a large part of the stealing from other divers that goes on ...

Probably 'alot' is a stretch, but it's safe to say the same people who think divers are spending their vacation time stealing car batteries and flip flops and siphoning gas from rental vehicles in Bonaire are the same people who think the government blew up the world trade center towers. :rofl3:

Last edited:
Last week in Houston TX my daughter had her wallet stolen out of her diaper bag at the children's museum... A month ago someone stole about $250.00 worth of fresh pork from the trailer of my truck in Hunts Point, NYC... Two years ago my brother had his motorcycle stolen at gunpoint at a red light in Queens,NYC... My father-in-law has had his cars stolen and broken in to so many times he no longer locks the doors, also in Queens, NYC... My older brother has had lawn mowers to bikes stolen from his backyard in Amityville, NY (Long Island) ... My Mother has had her apartment in SoHo, NYC broken into twice over the years...

Bonaire is FAR SAFER than the US...

Jim....

Your examples come from two different cities with a joint population nearing 10 million. Bonaire is only 25 mile long island with 16000 people. Of course the overall crime will be higher in those states because they have more people.

The issue with leaving vehicles unlocked relates to the practical realities of shore diving there; a clearly identifiable rental truck is parked by foreigners (much wealthier than most locals) who will be leaving the country within a week & probably aren't familiar with the local legal system is being abandoned for about 40 minutes to an hour in a fairly remote location with no witnesses.

The save-a-dive kit thing came up earlier. I do stuff a scuba tool & a small clear pack of variously sized o-rings somewhere, and it has 'saved' a couple of dives. Not likely to be stolen, and would amount to maybe $22 if it was.

Richard.

The Bonaire petty theft discussion in my opinion is a moot point, it is what it is ! I offer this, there are three truths in life 1. What one believes is right 2. What really is right 3. What is .... and we live in the world of what is so why be upset by what you know is going to happen. I HATE thief's, anyone that takes things that do not belong to them is scum in my books but no matter what I think should or should not happen I know when I am in Bonaire if I leave anything worth a crap in the truck it will be gone and no matter how much I want it to stop it isn't so just I don't leave stuff in the truck. For me it's that simple.

Reactions: mbs
I did not personally experience any crime in Bonaire but that was because I followed all the advice given as much as I could remember. But during my very last dive - a night dive at "Invisibles" - The VIP Diving truck was almost emptied of petrol. It was almost three-quarters full when Ilona and In went in but empty when we returned. Driving back to VIP office, Ilona was nervous whether the truck would make it but it just about did.

Leaving the truck unlocked obviously did not help there.

Judging by their living conditions, the locals in Tulamben, Bali seemed poorer than the average Bonairean. But the local guides assured me that I had no worries about getting anything stolen from (their) truck during our dives and nothing was. I had left things like torch, dive knife and rash vest in the truck and they were all still there when we returned. In fact, the guide left spare fins, a small toolbox and other bits in a plastic tray in the back of the truck and no one stole anything.

Last edited:
No one is saying that Bonaire is crime free... It's has petty crime that is common in third world places where the line between the haves and have nots is great... Simple rules, Don't leave anything you don't want to lose...

I have spent a total of 32 days diving on Bonaire and have had No trouble... Please stay away from the the little place of Paradise I love... And tell as many people as you can to stay away also... I like to dive in peace.... And if someone wants to steal my flip-flops... Have at it.. I'm not going to let it ruin my day or week or year....

Jim...

Last edited:
I think the take home lesson is that Bonaire has a common form of crime in a particular situation that most people aren't accustomed to encountering. Therefore, they are prone to object to it. Thankfully, it's a form that for the most part can be avoided with a few widely known & fairly easy preventive measures. And as RJP mentioned, it's not a huge island, so all that stuff you left back at the room isn't real far off, and unlike when you get on the dive boat without something, it's not that big a deal to go back & get it.

Back home, we take measures against crime day by day without much thinking about it. I lock the home & car. I had a 6 foot chain link fence put around the back yard. If we're out for an extended period, I'm not above putting a light on a timer so from the outside the place looks lived in. I appreciated that with an enclosed garage it's not easy to see at a glance whether there's a car parked at home. Our dogs make noise when strangers come around. There are areas I wouldn't go at night. Sounds like I live in a crime-ridden urban ghetto, except that I live in a nice suburb. Salespeople came by trying to sell me a home security system. Many people in the U.S. have car alarms; never mind stealing from the vehicle, they are concerned somebody might steal the vehicle itself.

Now, compared to all that...windows down, doors unlocked, don't leave your stuff in the truck.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom