BONAIRE: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (Trip Report, May 16 - 23)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fellows:

If you followed my post here you would know that I was not the least bit thrilled about going to Bonaire for reasons discussed in this thread below.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/494352-bonaire-site-recommendations-my-first-last-trip.html

A lot of people helped me shape my views before going and I am glad that they did. A trip report was long overdue so I thought I should finally post it.

THE GOOD:

Bonaire turned out to be exactly how I had perceived it. Thanks to scubaboard members who contributed to my earlier thread and gave me detailed information. I had so much information prior to landing that I knew where everything was the moment I got there.

We got a shift stick pickup truck which was shared between my dive buddy (Katch) and myself. It was a nice vehicle except I wished that it was a four wheel drive. A lot of dive sites in Bonaire do not have road access and are classified as “off-roading.” A four wheel drive would have helped. Still it was not a bad deal.

IMPORTANT NOTE: A lot of auto-insurance plans do not cover you for incidents that happen off road. It is advised that you buy full insurance @ 14 USD / day.

We stayed at Happy Holiday Homes which exceeded my expectation for comfort and convenience. For the price that I paid, I was expecting bunk beds and a rotating fan. This is what I got in Utila for 10 USD / night and loved every moment of it. In Bonaire the place was a fully furnished apartment with air-conditioning, kitchen appliances and a very well made sitting room. Louise is a great hostess who goes out of the way to make you feel comfortable. Her only request was that we keep our A/Cs turned off when we are out, which was not a problem.

Our dive package was booked with Dive-Friends Bonaire and they were a great lot to deal with. We were given a briefing and check out dive on the first day on which we also got our weights. We were shown where to pick up our tanks, where to analyze them for nitrox and where to bring them back. DFB had pick up locations all over the island so there was the convenience of picking up tanks in one place and leaving them somewhere else. We never saw the staff much after the first day and that is what makes Bonaire so special. You are on your own to do whatever you like.

After Utila, the diving in Bonaire was not mind blowing. There were aspects of it that were better than Utila and I plan on writing a detailed Utila VS Bonaire comparison later. In general Bonaire has more fish life while Utila has more varied terrain with steep walls, caves and drop-offs etc. My favorite dives were Salt Pier and Karpata. I love Salt Pier because as a photographer, I could dive that one site the whole week and still not be able to photograph all the action that happens under those piers. The wreck (Hilma) was another sight to behold. This is indeed one of the best wrecks I have done with giant tarpons all over the place. After these dives the rest of the dive sites are extremely similar and I do not see how choosing one would give you a dramatic difference over another.

THE BAD:

The reviews make it seem like Bonaire is a non-stop diving place where people can do unlimited diving and rack up to five dives a day. This may be true if you are diving the exact same spot. Some people I was with did 5 dives a day in their backyard, doing 29 dives a week. For those who want to experience different dive sites, that dive count may be a bit hard. You have to factor in driving time from site to site, tank pick up, snack and meal times etc. We averaged 3 dives a day simply because we were driving all over the place. If the goal is to do three dives then there are other places in the Caribbean where that can be accomplished without the hassle of lugging gear around.

Food was a problem. There were no cheap restaurants like Wendys or Burger King etc. Most restaurants were located in downtown and cater to cruise ship customers. You will spend 25 bucks a meal and the quantity will be fine-dining quantity and not Mc’Donalds quantity. I am all meat and potatoes without bells and whistles so I felt extremely undernourished. There is a Dutch grocery store there from where you can do groceries and cook at home. This further limits the time available for diving because instead of relaxing after the dives, you will be making grocery runs and cooking. Keeping all these factors into consideration, unlimited diving part is theoretical and in reality 3 dives is what was possible for me. I could have pushed for more but …

The UGLY:

There are things about Bonaire that are outright ugly! The place is known for petty crime and we experienced it on the first visit. Two out of four trucks got robbed and even though we had nothing worth stealing, things like prescription medication and clothing were taken that would not be of much worth to anyone. We filed a police report and were able to recover a lot of the items that were taken away. The police brought back some bags that contained our missing items and that way not all was lost. Yet the stolen items came back on the last day so people in our group still had to manage without them.

While returning the car I witnessed an argument between the rental company and a customer who was returning her vehicle. Her car did not have the spare tire and the rental company insisted that it was stolen from her so she should pay. The lady argued that she never opened the rear of the car and never saw a tire! Either someone opened her car and took the tire or the car rental company was shafting her. Either ways you do not want to be that person. It seems that car rental people are only bothered about their car and do not care about the customers. They will tell you to keep your windows open when you dive just so that the potential thieves can go through your stuff without breaking their car window. I am thinking if you purchase insurance then there should be no reason why you can’t lock your things in there. If the car window gets smashed then let this be the headache of the rental company. Just don’t make it easy for the thieves please!!! Bonaire mindset unfortunately does not work that way. The procedures are made to make things easy for the thieves and the car rental companies because they are local and since you are there for 7 days you are not the priority. It just leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.

CONCLUSION:

Boat diving is easier. You jump in, you get pulled out and the rest of the day is yours. Bonaire takes that easy away and gives you considerable things to worry about that you do not normally bother. Will anyone steal my truck? I have dirty dishes to do when I get back! The tank has to be replaced before 5 or I will not be able to do the night dive! These were the burdens on my mind that came with the so called “ease and freedom of 24 hour diving.” In my initial assessment I was wrong about a few things. I did not see myself going back there but now I see myself doing one more trip. Here is what I would do different:

• Order beef patties from the grocery store. They make them hot every morning and it would be best to order a good 10 of them to last the whole day. Buy a carton of coconut water. This would be my meal on wheels which will eliminate the need for a lunch or breakfast. There is a shawarma truck and another cheap restaurant that I found just when we were about to leave. I am not doing the cook at home thing! No way.
  • I would book the boat to dive the wild-side. It is expensive but everyone who has done the wild side says that it is a different world altogether.
  • I would spend more time diving the far north. Those sides are dirt road but driving there is a lot of fun.

In the end, all places have their good and the bad (though not all may have ugly.) Bonaire also has aspects to it that may suit someones style of diving more than others.

Bonaire_0063.jpgAziz and honey bear.jpgGOPR0025_1431917617105_high.jpg11148770_10153342195238523_4720136842708962198_n.jpg11391752_10153342195473523_6060606003218423565_n.jpg10426562_10153335729518523_8055894917527764670_n.jpg10653842_10153342192888523_4299790510543166688_n.jpg11054274_10153335728973523_5096331242395080468_n.jpg11351124_10153335730753523_380673274823376411_n.jpg

Thank you for an honest informative post. So many posters make Bonaire seem like this magical, mystical place. Its good to know that it stacks up pretty evenly (good/bad) with the rest of the Carib.

Great report! You are so right that Bonaire is not everyone's cup of tea. I like not being forced to adhere to a boat schedule and having the freedom to dive when I want and where I want.

But "The Bad"? I get in plenty of dives by planning the day's dives along a route or clustered in a certain area, and taking sandwiches made with supplies from the grocery store. Hit one part of the island one day, and another part another day. Driving "from site to site" can be a five-minute drive. Four dives a day can be done at a relaxed pace this way, and an early morning dive and/or a night dive somewhere near one's lodging is easily added.

As for the rental truck, I would add to the list of caveats: inspect the tires, the spare, and the jack/tools, making sure you know where it is and that it is all in usable condition. If the tires are bald or the tools are rusted in place, then ask for a different vehicle And when out driving at night, bring a light. We once had a rental truck with bald tires, and sure enough, got a flat, and found the rusty tools impossible to deal with. We called for help, and the rental company wanted to charge us for the "service call."

If you're going to do one more trip let me make a couple of suggestions.

All rental car companies are not created equal. Rent from AB (nice trucks) and the full insurance is worth it for the peace of mind. We've gotten some real crappy vehicles from other companies. Still take a tire inflater with you.

You really can eat inexpensively, and well. Babejans, Pizza and Chinese food will give you plenty to eat and leftovers for lunch. Look for Pastechi's for snacks and stay someplace with breakfast included. Also consider the Kite City truck for a treat.

The petty theft is what it is and it just doesn't worry me. Maybe it's my upbringing. But I have seen people do some not so smart things -like leave a prescription bottle in a truck (sorry). I wonder how many Lipitor a kid takes before they realize they aren't getting a buzz. Seriously though, I have seen pickups locked up tight with camera bags in the back seat. At one of the Andrea sites yet.

Thnx for sharing

You said you got a ton of advice before going, but from the sound of things you either got some poor advice or didn't get as much advice as you thought you did.

Dive the far south sites for some variety then come back and tell me what you really think! Similarities will end very quickly, LOL. Do the same up north.

I totally don't understand the problem with getting in as many dives as you want, you do have surface intervals to do between dives, planned correctly your required surface intervals are going to be all the time you need to eat, drink, move to another dive site on Bonaire, like said already plan better, don't try to go from the northern tip to the southern tip for two dives, there are plenty of dive sites to group together. On two close together dive sites, try a deep first dive and a shallower 2nd dive on the adjacent site for some juxtaposition. Anybody who says they can dive the salt pier for the whole week, I scratch my head when they say they got bored on the other dives because they were too similar. Another thing to do next time is stay at one of the many well known diver accommodations that has a house reef, which will help ease your diving logistics as the ease of diving the house reef 1st thing in the morning or last dive at night is really so simple and easy it's worth having the opportunity. I'd also get better advise on who to get your tanks from, if you want to maximize your dives, you better rent from somebody who lets you take all the tanks you want and keep them as long as you want, load that truck up to the rafters with tanks, last thing you should ever be doing is loading and unloading or getting more tanks in the middle of the day, for two divers on Bonaire, 10 tanks in the back of your truck is the least you should have ever. Reading between the lines, I suspect you dove nitrox on every dive, you might have to rethink that to gain the convenience of tank hording. 90 minute dives on air in Bonaire is very doable.

The reviews make it seem like Bonaire is a non-stop diving place where people can do unlimited diving and rack up to five dives a day. This may be true if you are diving the exact same spot. Some people I was with did 5 dives a day in their backyard, doing 29 dives a week. For those who want to experience different dive sites, that dive count may be a bit hard. You have to factor in driving time from site to site, tank pick up, snack and meal times etc.

Driving time from site to site? Seriously? Are you sure you went to Bonaire? On our first trip to Bonaire my buddy and I did 5-6 dives a day for a week... without even trying. 32 dives without repeating a single site. We would have done 34 but his ears gave out.

Bonaire is tiny. The longest drive between ANY two points on the island is shorter than a one-hour surface interval. That drive will take you past many, many places to eat, drink, and swap tanks. More often than not our issue was that we'd do something like finish a dive at say the Hilma Hooker, grab lunch, stop at our hotel, swap tanks, get fresh camera batteries, and maybe drive up to say Playa Frans... and realize we still had 10min to sit before getting back in the water...

bonaire21.jpg

If your goal is to dive-dive-dive... Bonaire is your place. The diving may not be the best in the world, but neither is the food at an all-you-can eat buffet. An inability to do 5 dives a day is nothing but "user error" as far as I'm concerned.

If however, your modus operandi is sleeping in to 9:30, having a leisurely breakfast, doing a dive, going out to a leisurely lunch, doing a dive, driving back to your hotel, etc, etc, etc, you will NOT get your time or money's worth diving Bonaire.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2015 at 06:45 PM ----------

I'd also get better advise on who to get your tanks from, if you want to maximize your dives, you better rent from somebody who lets you take all the tanks you want and keep them as long as you want, load that truck up to the rafters with tanks, last thing you should ever be doing is loading and unloading or getting more tanks in the middle of the day, for two divers on Bonaire, 10 tanks in the back of your truck is the least you should have ever.

Sinbad used DiveFriends for tanks. They have FIVE locations. Even if they only let you take 2 nitrox tanks per person at a time... there's no reason for tank availability to limit your number of dives. (I'm not 100% certain, but I thought their on-site hotel locations have 24hr tanks.)

We stayed at Plaza on our first trip, and loading 8-10 nitrox tanks in the truck was never a problem.

TrukBed.jpg

Most recent trip we stayed at Caribbean Club. Also no issues filling the truck with as many tanks as we wanted. but even if we did, we had the ability to swap tanks at Buddy Dive and Belmar as well. Literally, there was not a dive site on the island (other than up in the park) that was more than 20min from a place for us to get tanks. The shop and tank corral at CCB close at 6pm... but during your orientation they show you which rock they hide the key under.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2015 at 07:09 PM ----------

Food was a problem. There were no cheap restaurants like Wendys or Burger King etc. Most restaurants were located in downtown and cater to cruise ship customers. You will spend 25 bucks a meal and the quantity will be fine-dining quantity and not Mc’Donalds quantity.

Again... check your passport and make sure that you actually went to Bonaire. If you did, as someone mentioned above, you must have done precious little research before arriving on island.

There are plenty of cheap places to eat, and thankfully no Wendy's or Burger Kings. There were days that my buddy and I spent $25 total for the both of us from sun up to sun down. Of course there were some days that we spent many times that for dinner. Lunch is the big savings. A loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of jelly and you've got a week's worth of lunch for $10.

Last edited:
I only got 21 dives on my last trip. Of course, a good number of them were 2+ hour solo dives, so dive count was not my main goal.

I prefer staying somewhere with the breakfast included, because that knocks out one meal a day. Lunch is the surface interval between dives 2 and 3 (if I'm diving with open circuit divers) and there are plenty of inexpensive places on the island.

Of course, dinner can get expensive but eff it, I'm on vacation!!

I could do Bonaire 4 times a year, if I could afford it.

Keeping all these factors into consideration, unlimited diving part is theoretical and in reality 3 dives is what was possible for me. I could have pushed for more but …

You're the first and only person I have ever come across to say they had this issue. In all seriousness, can you share what your typical Bonaire daily schedule looked like? For the life of me, I can't imagine only being able to get three dives done in a day. (I do know people who simply didn't desire to do more than three dives a day in Bonaire, but that's a different pathology altogether.)

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2015 at 07:26 PM ----------

There is a Dutch grocery store there from where you can do groceries and cook at home.

Imagine the nerve.. a Dutch grocery store on a Dutch island!

Of course there are many places to buy groceries on Bonaire. Van Der Tweel is great, offering most major US brands of anything you might want. But there are several other large stores, and a great many smaller shops.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2015 at 07:33 PM ----------

I am thinking if you purchase insurance then there should be no reason why you can’t lock your things in there.

Not wanting your stuff to get stolen seems like a pretty good reason.

If the car window gets smashed then let this be the headache of the rental company. Just don’t make it easy for the thieves please!!!

Now you're just being naive. I'm no defender of petty theft... it sucks. But thinking that rolling up the windows will reduce the "ease" of stealing your stuff is just silly. Putting your hands over your ears and yelling "la la la la la... I can't hear you... la la la la la" is likely to be just as effective. And thinking that the rental companies wouldn't put a "window deductible" equal to the cost of a window on your policy if they opted to cover such damage is even sillier.

Again, you're posting here as if "the way things are" on Bonaire was entirely unknown to you prior to your arrival on island. Is this possible?

Last edited:
Very glad you made it and now have a shared experience with many of us. A few observations from my 8 trips (the last solo):

1.) As others noted, group dives close. I like to do 2 in the morning, come back for lunch, head out & do 2 in the afternoon, and maybe a night dive on the house reef. If I felt the need to make the night dive a new site off somewhere, that would be a hassle. To pull this off, my last trip I ate supper at Buddy Dive every night, and breakfast buffet was included; lunch was in room simple stuff from the grocery store. I'm no athlete & it was tiring, but fun.

2.) Food's pricey. I bought 20-packs of Coke Zero at Zhung Kong supermarket, PB&J sandwich fixings & canned fruit cocktail, that sort of thing for lunch. Breakfast buffet included at Buddy Dive Resort. Ate at the resort restaurant in the evening. After traveling around to eat my 1st 7 times, the 8th, I stayed 'home' and kept it simple. A tank of gas in the truck at the end of the week can set you back $80.

3.) That 'you're on your own' thing is a big selling point to shore diving despite the harder work compared to boat diving. Offers the chance to foster some independence. I like both methods.

The crime thing merits its own section, for those who've not been & may use this thread to research. As any populated Caribbean isle will, Bonaire has crime. But it's considered by some one of the safer places, especially in terms of violent crime against persons (which it seems there have been more reports of in recent years, judging from online discussions, but I still felt safe out & about day or night).

Bonaire is famous for petty theft out of parked dive trucks. Divers gear up, go in & locals (on this rather poor island) know the rich tourists are gone for about an hour. So a few criminal types search the trucks for stuff to take. The 'house rules' are leave the doors unlocked & windows down so they don't break in, take the key with you and don't leave anything valuable in the truck. Odds are good you'll lose nothing. I've left cheap sunglasses & plastic bottles refilled with water without incident. Cheap sandals or a raggedly looking old t-shirt might be okay.

But don't leave a cooler with food/drinks, a camera, change of clothes, etc... If it would bother you to 'donate' it, don't leave it in the truck while you dive!!!

This is how the place operates. With the (seemingly rare) exception of battery theft or occasional gas siphoning, you can practically eliminate yourself as a truck crime target. This is common knowledge.

Some people will not accept that. In this case, 2 out of 4 trucks got robbed. I'm guessing you know 2 because something was taken from each? Which implies something was left?

Richard.

P.S.: Please list the dive sites you hit. In your other thread you asked our favorites; I'd like to hear what all you chose.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom