I dropped my regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mopar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had just had my regs. serviced when after diving I hung them up on my BC hanger to dry. They were hanging six feet in the air when they fell on my concrete floor. I have tried them for 40 minutes in the pool at a LDS since then. Do I need to pay to have them serviced again? Is this no worse than if I flew somewhere and the airline baggage crew was ruff with my luggage? Or can a good LDS check them out to determine if their is any damage? What should I do?

Did you inspect them very closely of any physical damage? Cracked plastic, scarred metal? If so and they are working I'd consider myself very lucky and take them on some dives.

It seems a lot worse than flying and someone being ruff. Since they were hanging they didn't have any padding or protection. A six foot drop onto hard concrete is very different than a six foot drop off the plane into the cargo bin while surrounded by a padded reg bag and tshirts packed around it in the suitcase, but I carry on my regs anyway.

I did not see any cracks. They seem to do good in the pool at my LDS.

I inside parts of a regulator are very simple, tough and durable. I don't think a drop like that could damage them. The outside case is a different matter, some of the composite shells and adjusting knobs on some seconds could get damaged, but a careful external inspection should reveal this. Remember, in typical rental use, regs are banged around, heavy gear placed on them, dragged through the sand and dropped on the boat deck many times. They can take a licking and keep on ticking.

If there is no physical damage and they worked in the pool you are fine. If you are still worried bring them back to the shop that serviced them and ask them to check the IP and have them look for visual damage. They should not charge you for this, and do not pay for this. But if it works in the pool you should be fine.

They are damaged beyond repair. I will buy them off you for scrap prices, say, $10 per reg, so you will at least have something to put towards new ones.

:D

[/humor]

Seriously, I will echo what's said above: if they were my regs, and had no significant damage, I'd go diving.

All the best, James

LOL :d

I've witnessed some rental regs take some abuse. Saw a tank fall off a table and land on the attached 1st. The HP hose broke and the 1st stage was scratched. New HP hose and quick check and off the diver went. It looked worse than it was. They're pretty tough.

....the problem is the possibility that you've weakened/overstressed some component that isn't immediately obvious....things like did you damage the soft brass 1st-stage threads where the hoses screw into the 1st-stage ? ...or, did the unit impact near where the metal crimp clamps down on a hose, causing hidden, internal hose damage ? You could easily unscrew and reinstall all the hoses to make sure they screw back into the 1st-stage smoothly....which might help you spot damaged internal 1st-stage threading. I don't know of a good way to 'X-ray' the hoses for internal damage though....other than to dive, and spin around on your back and watch/listen for any small bubbles leaking from anywhere.......and if you were ever thinking of upgrading to MIFLEX hoses at some point anyway, this might be a good excuse to go ahead and replace hoses now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom