I do not like yellow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used plasti-dip in a variety of different applications. None of those applications were marine, with the exception of one esoteric use involving stretching, I haven't been terribly impressed with it's durability.

I have seen more then my fair share of plastidip horrors. Cheap instant gratification that if left long term goes tragic.
Never tried it for any marine application. Don't plan to either.

Bummer about them not taking new orders. I would shoot him a message on Facebook and check although I know you already ordered a cover from Erik. I believe I paid $130 total (a huge portion of that was shipping from France). He does orders via email and you can paypal him.

Erik's covers are nice and very popular but in my experience the cut out letters do not hold up well if you're into "full contact" diving. :)
View attachment 476684
Filling in the cut outs with clear epoxy solves that issue.

I'm curious to see how the plasti-dip comes out. I've never found it to provide an even coating, and it seems like everything I've used it on ends up with high spots and low spots. Please post an update once you've got it done, I'm excited to see how it comes out.

Your wish is my command. This time. ;-) I think it looks a lot better in the picture than it does in person. This cover is pretty, ahem, experienced. The plasti-dip did not really fill in the gouges and nicks that were there. But, that's fine. That wasn't really my goal. I just wanted to get rid of the yellow. I am not at all convinced that it's going to hold up well, but I guess time will tell on that. I'm hoping that it will feel harder after it's hard more time to cure.

I do think it worked out to be pretty smooth - where the underlying cover was smooth. The cover had some gouges in it (that will be covered by the plate, once I get that), and you can still see those. But, I don't really notice any high or low spots from the plasti-dip itself. I did it fairly slow. I think I sprayed 4 coats of plasti-dip, fairly thin each time. And then 2 (or was it 3?) coats of the glossifier.

rEvoCover.jpg
And don't listen to macado, rEvo is dicks and you're gonna die. :rant: But they're also a hell of a lot of fun so enjoy yourself. Keep the water out of it and avoid Peter Sotis and you should get many many hours of enjoyment out of it. And it's probably one of the best rebreathers to travel with, so get out there and dive all over the place.

:rofl3::rofl3: We definitely agree on one thing - I'm going to die. Sooner or later. :D But seriously. Thanks. :cheers:

Bummer about them not taking new orders. I would shoot him a message on Facebook and check although I know you already ordered a cover from Erik. I believe I paid $130 total (a huge portion of that was shipping from France). He does orders via email and you can paypal him.

Erik's covers are nice and very popular but in my experience the cut out letters do not hold up well if you're into "full contact" diving. :)

I haven't ordered from Erik yet. I'm waiting on my graphics person to finish a logo. I messaged R'compo on FB on Saturday and have had no response.

Erik's cover will work just fine, I think. I have not progressed anywhere near to doing full contact diving yet... :D

PlastiDip is nice for short term temporary dress up that you want easily removed (a month). It typically doesn't hold up well long term (more than 6 months) and becomes more and more difficult to cleanly remove as time passes. Which sucks alot because it can get a faded look with little flakes coming off as it ages.

Herculiner is pretty durable and easy to apply. Powder coating is great on metals, the coating is baked on so it doesn't work well on most non metal items.

Polyurea is extremely durable, they make bomb walls out of it. That ones a bit pricey though and requires specialized (expensive) equipment. We sprayed some tanks and stuff for my buddies rebreather with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom