I Dived 3 times today and i feel light headed and under my nose (sinus part) HURTS! ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i just got my open water today :D

but

i had to do 3 open water dives today.. i had to do 3, but the isntructed forgot a rope so i can do the emergency accent? So he told me ok can u come with us again to do a third dive? i said sure..

I didnt check the table

all the dives where around 50 feet for 40 minutes. had an interval for about 30-40 minutes.. then between 2nd and 3rd dive it was like 2:30 hours interval..

i only had a caprisun and a juice bottle in the time of these dives.

And on the second and third dive it was cold, so my nose got filled with snort? so i blew it out,, while i was at the bottom of the ocean, I still could equalize, but it was hurting me, i just snort it out and everything was FINE. till after 2 hours after the dives,, i started feeling light headed and now i think my sinus hurts? I never had any sinus problems, it just hurts in the area under/around my nose''

Help?

Could be the mask seal thats been pressing against your face and made it sore.

Using the PADI tables;
50 ft/40 min should give you a pressure group N after the first dive.
30 min SI should bring you down to group I with a max no-deco time of 43 min at 50ft.
2nd dive would then bring you to 40 min+29 min = 69 min at 50 ft -> group W which would call for a safety stop at 15ft for 3 min.
2hr 30min SI would then put you back in group B and give you a max no-deco time of 59 minutes at 50ft.
The 2nd dive would be the most agressive one, if I did my math right..

According to the tables it should be fine, but people have got bent diving within the table limits before.
Hydration is very important while diving, keep that in mind next time you go diving :wink:

If youre in doubt, dont be in doubt and call a physician with knowledge of diving and DCI or DAN.

That's awful! Think how much snort is already at the bottom of the ocean and you're just adding to the envirnmental disaster.

I think your mask is too tight!

There is nothing wrong with doing 3 dives in a day. However, you should always check the dive tables or your dive computer to make sure you are diving within the limits.

The pain you are feeling under/around your nose, is probably from the mask skirt pressing on your nose.

Next time you dive, make sure you place the mask a bit lower on your face. Check to make sure it is not touching your nose.

Enjoy your diving.

If in doubt - check it out.
Consult a doctor (if there is a dive doctor even better).
If you are in a resort, and have access go to the instructor and tell him what you are feeling (do not accuse him of anything).

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Best Regards
Richard

I think it goes without saying that what you did was pretty dangerous. Did you take a safety stop after your second dive? According to my quick post-it note math that dive would put you ending in PG V so you should have taken a safety stop.

Assuming all of your times/depths are correct you're dives were fine. You would end your last dive in PG Q (someone check my maths).

Give me a sec and I'll run it using the "if it is cold calculate your dives at 10ft lower" rule.

A few options:

I'd suggest going to your local hospital. I am making the assumption in Aruba the doctors are well versed in diver ailments.

I suspect you aren't a member of DAN (diver alert network) yet but they might be able to help you still.

Also a call to the company you did the dives through and ask them for help. They may have a recommendation on who to see for issues like this.

i just got my open water today :D

but

i had to do 3 open water dives today.. i had to do 3, but the isntructed forgot a rope so i can do the emergency accent? So he told me ok can u come with us again to do a third dive? i said sure..

I didnt check the table

all the dives where around 50 feet for 40 minutes. had an interval for about 30-40 minutes.. then between 2nd and 3rd dive it was like 2:30 hours interval..

i only had a caprisun and a juice bottle in the time of these dives.

And on the second and third dive it was cold, so my nose got filled with snort? so i blew it out,, while i was at the bottom of the ocean, I still could equalize, but it was hurting me, i just snort it out and everything was FINE. till after 2 hours after the dives,, i started feeling light headed and now i think my sinus hurts? I never had any sinus problems, it just hurts in the area under/around my nose''

Help?

Hi, first welcome to diving! I can't say for sure what caused it nor am I qualified to give medical advice.

Speaking from personal experience, a tiring day of diving can cause the light headedness. This can be made worse if the water was choppy, if I exerted during the dive, the cold (which I take affected you), and definitely diet.

My perspective is diving takes abit of energy (even though it doesn't feel like it most times), you burn even more energy with cold water. So if you didn't eat enough your body might be burning more energy than you know. Generally I try to keep with warm drinks or a cup of sweet drink between dives and at least a small bite to overcome this.

If light headedness does hit me, a good night's rest solves the problem for me. Don't worry too much (unless the problem persists), as you dive more you'll eat and keep hydrated enough to enjoy the dives. Btw, I take it you know NEVER to drink alcohol the night before diving?

As for the sinus problem, you may have just blown your nose too hard. Again I'm not qualified, but if it continues to give you discomfort, you should seek proper medical advice.

Last, given the record you provided about, you should be able to refer back to your table whether you over extended your maximum bottom time?

What position was your head in? Looking forward or looking down? If your looking forward the air in the mask wants to pull the mask up and your nose is the only thing holding it down. Can make your nose sore after 2hr in the water.

Also what is cold water? Cold water is relative to where you dive. Where I dive (western Lake Superior) cold is below 43 deg.

Tim

What position was your head in? Looking forward or looking down? If your looking forward the air in the mask wants to pull the mask up and your nose is the only thing holding it down. Can make your nose sore after 2hr in the water.

Also what is cold water? Cold water is relative to where you dive. Where I dive (western Lake Superior) cold is below 43 deg.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom