i can't try it before i buy it... not in this country at least

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvas

Contributor
Reaction score
hello all dry suit divers....
the months are passing and I am more and more convienced that I want a dry suit. I live in Israel, and I own an old 5mm wet suit that is 4 years old and almost dead. While diving, I am cold in this wet suit, especially on long deco dives, or deep.
The problem is that here, no LDS carries here the dry suit on the shelf. It also means, that there is no chance that I can try one here.
One LDS started to sell after DEMA Whites suits, and finally I saw one (and also tried it in the store), but it was large. It came in a package with undergarmets and all other stuff, and it was under $1K!!!
Unfortunatelly, I am 180cm and thin, and I need a custom fit!
After contacting Whites, their said that for a customer fit I will have to pay $1.5K - $2K!!!
I can not afford that, especially since I never tried dry diving!
I read almost every single article/thread on the net and magazine. I still don't know what to do.
Locally, I have options to order the following brands: Sepa (Italy), Zeagle, Aqualung, Camaro (Austrian), Whites, Diverite.
But I don't want to spend more then $1K for something that I can not try before I buy.

Please help :confused: What should I do?
Oh yes.... My tech trainer (importer of Zeagle and Aqualung), is trying to persuade me that Aqualung Iceland (semidry) will be suficient. He is trying to arrange me one (my size) to try soon.

Should I order something from abroad? If yes, from where??
I am sick of diving and being cold!!!

Any input and comment is more then welcome.

thanks,
sasha

thanks bob,
i have some questions though on how to measure :bonk:
should I take the measures over the clothes or on the bear body; should the chest be measured with chest inflated or deflated?
what about neck and wrist? I have small wrists and neck....

sasha

It doesn't matter much what you're wearing, tho it's easier if you put on a couple layers of sweats to approximate your diving undies.
Measure chest with normal inhale.
Neck & wrist seals come tiny, you'll probably have to trim them to fit.
If you have REALLY small wrists with tendons that make little tunnels, add your wrist measurement too.
If your neck is under 12", measure that as well.
better switch to email, my DSL is "fogged in". (craps out when the phone cabels get damp)

Hi!
We do winter cold water diving here in Texas and 47 degrees F is an attention getter, and about as cold as most people want to try in a 7MM wet suit, even with a neoprene dive skin under it. You are still going to lose core temperature over time.

I've considered a semi-dry suit too, but have never had someone who owned one tell me that it solve the gradual core temperatue loss problem.

The ideal solution always comes down to this: instead of trying to decrease the cold water effects, why not just eliminate them all together! Dry suit: problem solved! Dive in as cold of water you can find, just dress warmer underneath the dry suit.

Therefore, I too am considering going "dry". Other than increased maintenance over time with the neck, wrist, and ankle seals, which are replaceable, and sometimes the zipper upkeep, I am unable to find any sane reason not to use a dry suit when cold water is where you dive.

I just feel like I should do it right and enjoy it fully. The cost will be more than repaid over time with increased quality of dive enjoyment!!! Good luck.

While the dive shops may not have any in stock for "sale", they may have drysuits in stock for rental/classes which you may be able to try out on rental or class basis. At least two dive shops near me have that exact situation, available for class/rental but none in stock for purchase, which makes sense since when purchasing, people may spend the extra for custom cut and custom accessories that they don't have to worry nearly as much about for rentals, just stock sizes, no customizations. The local shops near me also apply 100% of the drysuit rental fees as credit to the purchase of a drysuit also if you buy from them.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom