I can't believe they thought I stole the DSD NDI Charter concept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
Today I presented my final for my Entrepreneurship class. The final was a Business Plan and a presentation of a fictitious business. I chose "Deep South Divers Charter Services" a charter business spawned from the idea of DSD NDI Charter. In our area there is a definite need for a good charter service. And, with the success that DSD NDI has seen, I created a concept of commingling the two and the website DSD.org to grow a charter service.

We went in teams and were graded by the Professor and another team. The plan asked for $50,000 toward financing and outfitting a used boat to start the charter. It also accommodated for $40,000 capital investment by the owners.

The grading team denied my funding based on the fact that they feel I stole the concept, the NDI charter "already in existence" and the website and tried to pass it off as my own idea. I was beside myself. Once I passed the concept that they said and insinuated that I did not have anything to do with Deep South Divers NDI or that I stole that idea, I took a moment to consider that maybe they didn't understand. I tried to speak to the other team and they didn't believe that I helped create the local scuba club or NDI - anything. They said I lied about the NDI and that they think I took the plan from Deep South Divers and added my name to it. These are classmates who are angry that they completed a business plan and think that I didn't because mine was "too professional" and that the NDI already existed so it had to be stolen. And that I couldn't know that much about diving in the area and they didn't feel that I had the contacts through the Scubaboard that I mentioned. I was pissed because I was concerned as to how my grade would be affected by these comments. I went to the professor and mentioned to him about their comments and told him to feel free to check the information out for himself but that I was concerned about these accusations. I didn't steal anything.

How disappointing when you work really hard at something and do a good job and then people discredit you because you did "too good" of a job. I had a commercial that I made, I had the website, I had the Scubaboard to demo, stationary, B-cards, and "THE PLAN." A very professional presentation. Wore a suit, one of only four in the class and one of those belonged to my teammate. How else do you present a business plan???? In blue jeans and a t-shirt? How frustrating. All that hard work and for peers to shoot it down like that.

My head hurts now. I have to go take something. R

Don't sweat it Raven. I am sure the Prof. will take it for it's own merits.

As far as your "peers" discrediting you; how many of these "peers" are twenty year old kids that have no concept of what professionalism is?

Hell, print out the thread about setting up this NDI, give it to them and have them check the website, look at your profile and see your face. If they still give you a hard time then "Forget about em"

Wow, Raven! How incredibly frustrating!

I hope the professor sees that your idea was original. I am not the biggest fan of students grading students in certain circumstances. After all, if they are just learning a subject, sometimes they are not the best judges of the work involved in others' presentations... I hope the professor's opinion overrules... I am sure your effort shows.

sapphire :)

Raven,
I had a similar experience with a presentation when I was going for my Masters. My Professor allowed me to show him my work (rough drafts, research, outlines.........), and after viewing the "evidence" I earned an A.

I would recommend contacting the Professor and offer to share your research/work with him/her in order to prove that indeed it was your own work. If plagiarism is suspected it might even result in removal from the college/university.:doctor:

Your work can be documented. Your past efforts with your scuba club can also be documented. Everything from newletters to depositions or sworn statements is fair game.

While it means work, it also establishes an irrefutable foundation for your assertion that you in fact did not steal any ideas or intangible property.

Relax. If you can gather together the documentation that proves your validity, then what they say is irrelevant. Gather your evidence and present a strong argument. Let the chips fall...

You'll always have critics. Its what you do in spite of them that counts.

Be persistant.

Doc

Thanks for your support. I was so incredibly frustrated. I was.

I will have absolutely no problem proving my efforts/research/work because I have done it all. I am not worried now but I was ticked at the time.

I know this may sound incredibly conceited but I was talking with someone after the fact and they pointed out that none of those giving me grief were graduating with honors and that my efforts and record would speak volumes along side my "proof" and that I shouldn't let these people get to me. They also said that there was just jealousy that the information I presented was so good that it was eating the others up.

It's just that at the time the smug sarcasim and arrogance I received when I tried to talk to the other team was unbelieveable.

I did speak to the professor and he said he didn't feel that I had not done my "homework" and he felt it was a very viable business plan. He said he wanted to go through it more. I was a little baffled at how I set it up. Even though everything works and the profitability was apparently there he didn't expect such large returns immediately and he expected salaries to be taken right off the bat, which aren't. Dive Masters are paid inkind and with tips the first year, anyway I don't want to bore anyone.

I personally don't make a habit of intentially tearing others down so it bothers me when I receive it. Also, I worked hard on all this and I am a very professional and ethical business person so the mere insenuation that I did not come up with any of this bothered me. I am trying to utilize the "look at the source" method of application here. Also, if the professor is willing to consider the facts then I really feel I don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks again. R

As far as your "peers" discrediting you; how many of these "peers" are twenty year old kids that have no concept of what professionalism is?

Grrr....

*waits patiently for 21st birthday...01/21/04*

there is no reason you shouldnt make a good grade on it, we all know that you know what your talking about and that you work your butt off to do everything that you do. and you do it very well.

what i want to know is, after reading this that you posted...

"The plan asked for $50,000 toward financing and outfitting a used boat to start the charter."

when can we expect to be going out on your boat with you? :)

steve

Remember that it is a very realistic ficticious business. :D

NatureDiver once bubbled...

Grrr....

*waits patiently for 21st birthday...01/21/04*

Sorry Nature, nothing personal. I was more referencing my own lack of understanding what professional meant at that age than trying to make a blanket statement.

You've demonstrated your maturity on this board.

Back
Top Bottom