I am looking for....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing is absolutely correct. Patty set the rule some time ago for Splash - no handling of marine life.

You might consider heading a little further south to Placencia. I don't know about the other dive shops there, but there's no handling of the marine life at Splash Dive Center. And none at Turneffe Island Resort, either.

Regards
Ralph

I have to agree with Hank - I think the effects of handling are greatly overblown. Exaggerated or even misstated. Certain nurse sharks return day after day to the same spot off Ambergris Caye (some of them are clearly identifiable) and I've never seen or heard of any long term injuries to them. That said, I don't handle them myself. In Belize (at any rate) I would be distinctly sceptical of any claim by a dive operation that they never touch wildlife, because the same dive staff move around country-wide and I know most will from time-to-time touch creatures. AFAIK the same is true just up the coast at Playa del Carmen/Cozumel. I simply don't know about other places such as Roatan.

My first two days in Cozumel I had to snorkel instead of dive due to a case of "swimmer's ear" I got from diving some cenotes around Playa del Carmen. On one of the trips out, the guide swam down, grabbed a small turtle and brought it to the surface so the snorkelers could pet it, which everyone else did with much enthusiasm.

I don't know if there was any long term damage, but I'm sure that little guy was stressed out for a few moments being held out of the water with his flippers flapping away. I didn't see the fun in touching a stressed animal, so I turned my back so I wouldn't have to watch it.

So yeah, it happens elsewhere.

Otoh, I've seen lots of video of people petting Nurse Sharks and the sharks do seem to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Peter makes a good point about dive staff moving around and another problem is that dive staff want to earn tips and some of them try to do this by picking things up and handing them to guest divers to handle. This practice should be discouraged.
There can be no clear benefit to the animal and there appears to be enough information in this forum to indicate that are negative impacts.
Regards
Ralph

I have to agree with Hank - I think the effects of handling are greatly overblown. Exaggerated or even misstated. Certain nurse sharks return day after day to the same spot off Ambergris Caye (some of them are clearly identifiable) and I've never seen or heard of any long term injuries to them. That said, I don't handle them myself. In Belize (at any rate) I would be distinctly sceptical of any claim by a dive operation that they never touch wildlife, because the same dive staff move around country-wide and I know most will from time-to-time touch creatures. AFAIK the same is true just up the coast at Playa del Carmen/Cozumel. I simply don't know about other places such as Roatan.

Do yourself a favour and look into Turneffe Island Resort. We are going back for our third time next month. This is the only dive resort I have ever returned to three times, in 25 years of Caribbean travel. Belize Scuba Diving & Flats Fishing | Turneffe Island Resort | Vacation in Belize

It isn't inexpensive, but it is amazing, pristine diving. The Flats is, I believe, the next closest dive op, and it is miles away.

My trip report is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/328892-trip-report-turneffe-island-resort.html

Ah it seems the liberals are out thick in this column. Belize is their country, if they feel like touching under water life more power to them. We have enough problems in this world without some disillusioned American liberal trying to push their ideas on other nations. If you do not like the practice, go dive someplace else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom