I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying a different brand octo has no effect on your warranty.

As new divers it's easy to believe Parts for Life marketing hype but don't let that be a factor that pushes you into more expensive all one brand gear purchase since labor is 80% of reg service cost and not covered.

As for Pink...
A friend of mine dives as much pink as she can get. LP (reg hose) is available in normal or Miflex. Also there's a pink mouthpiece available for Scubarpo since they use a slightly different diameter than some other brands IIRC. Atomic even has pink accents for their regulators, you change the purge cover, knob and exhaust ports with a kit.

A black HP hose can also be wrapped in a pink spiral hose wrap - costs $2.00 I've never seen pink HP hose but I don't look for it either...
Sea Elite Spiral Hose Wrap 48in

My friend has a pink framed mask, pink bladder on her BC with pink fabric inserts on a black jacket, solid pink fins (easy to spot her) and pink wet suit and boots All her hoses are wrapped. She even has a pink handled knife and her computer is white.
Oh I had no idea that SP needed different mouth pieces, that is good to know. Do you know if they have any ones that will work in green (my favorite color) I think we might go with Miflex hoses where we can to save some weight and be able to pack them down tighter. Does Atomic offer left handed/ ambidextrous regs?

How many hands do you have? You have to assume you're using one to hold the other diver close and keep your octo in their mouth as they may be unconscous.

So most of your buoyancy control will be with the air2. while somehow managing to vent their BC as well since as you rise the air in it will expand and could drag you both up at an unsafe rate.

Getting a longer primary hose is a good idea. Typically they're 40, 60 or even 84" The longer hoses usually are wrapped around your body first to take up the slack so they don't hook on things as you dive. I dive a 36" primary and 40" octo. Standard on many reg pacakges is 32".

I have full use of both hands, my issue is with both my legs.

Yeah that is something to consider if I need to spend like a few hundred more on a higher end bc with better accessible dumb valves that are more conducive to using an AIR2 I might be better off getting a normal octo.

SP don't have an odd proprietary hose fitting, do they?

I doubt SP will ever give you a free octo but you might see if there's any deals on 1st/2nd/octo/gauge packages. I see them occasionally.

Typically a shop has 10% to work with off MSRP b4 cutting into their profit. so they may offer it to you - my Atomic dealer does but I buy $1400 regs from him and he knows I can get the same price online.
Looking through The Playground's Facebook they sometimes have free gear sales, they had a deal for Black Friday where if you bought a reg, octo, BC, and SPG you got a free wrist computer. They have various sales throughout the year. Even if I don't get the octo itself for free I might still be able to get something else to offset the cost of the octo. Seeing how we are not pressed for time we can slow down and get stuff on sales and not have to go all in when we sign up for classes.

afaik every octo/inflator has a proprietary bc fitting - I know my buddies SS1 does. Atomic also uses a larger supply hose than standard as they guarantee the SS1 breathes the same as their first stages. IDK about the Air2 but would assume it does also.

It's not a huge deal just that you would not be able to remove it and replace it with a standard inflator hose w/o also changing the fitting on the BC end.

Here's the thing about a green mouthpiece - people are going to automatically assume you have one because your gear is Nitrox cleaned. The downside to that could be if you're diving air and the tank filler on the boat is not careful, he could give you a Nitrox fill instead. For the same reason, don't buy a reg with green accents as that also signifies it. Unless you plan to dive Nitrox.

Innovative Scuba sells all sorts of colors - including green. I don't know what they fit. Or even if I'm correct about Scubapro's being a slightly different size. You want the right size so it doesn't leak.

IDK if Atomics are ambidextrous. I'd bet Scared Silly would know - he buys, rebuilds and sells them. Nice looking stuff, I've been tempted to buy from him myself.

Hi guys, been a while. So my sister and I were going to see about doing a Discover SCUBA thing here on a couple week, but I injured my right knee and it looking more than likely that will be having some type of knee surgery on it. Anyone know who long after my surgery till my sister and I can try doing a Discover SCUBA thing?

Not a doctor but I would suggest it depends on the extent of the surgery - if in doubt have a word with your surgeon or DAN.

your ortho doctor will let uou know. do the therapy - it will go much faster.

your ortho doctor will let uou know. do the therapy - it will go much faster.
sadly my insurance doesn't physical therapy now that I am over 20. Even if I need something as big as a total knee replacement they cover it fully but therapy that could have prevented the need for surgery in the first play I am on my own with that. I do have some exercises my primary doctor gave me when they injected some pain medication but they aren't helping.

I might re-think the paddle fins initially, split fins will be a lot easier on your knee while it's recovering.
I have a permanent bad knee and it's what I use.

Of course due to the patent licensing, they're 2-3 times the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom