I am at my wits end with sealife products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think Sealife has ever advised such. Silicon grease is also a magnet for hair & sand. My home dive bud used to dive my old DC310 but he used silicon grease on the O-ring - and flooded it. I've never flooded one.

I actually do lightly coat the O-ring before cam use, ... so far, 6 years/no flood, but I should mention that, when it comes to keeping the O-ring free of 'contaminants', I'm probably borderline OCD, so ...:wink:

I actually do lightly coat the O-ring before cam use, ... so far, 6 years/no flood, but I should mention that, when it comes to keeping the O-ring free of 'contaminants', I'm probably borderline OCD, so ...:wink:
I am lazy. No grease, little care, just put it back together and go. How long since the DC100? 8 or 9 years, no leaks. :wink:

Still, SL does suggest replacing the O-rings annually. I am not going to. Insurance is cheaper. :D

I have 2 o-rings for my housing. I change them out every other day when using the camera. My thoughts are that if I do not continually keep the same oring in the same position that the oring, even if compressed, will have a chance to recover it's shape. The camera is 4 years old and not so much as a water droplet in the housing. I don't store the housing with the oring in it, I don't want it to get flat spots. I don't know if it does any good but it has worked good for me..........so far.

I have 2 o-rings for my housing. I change them out every other day when using the camera. My thoughts are that if I do not continually keep the same oring in the same position that the oring, even if compressed, will have a chance to recover it's shape. The camera is 4 years old and not so much as a water droplet in the housing. I don't store the housing with the oring in it, I don't want it to get flat spots. I don't know if it does any good but it has worked good for me..........so far.

The alternating routine might be a little over the top(well, look who's talkin':wink:), but keeping the O-ring pressure-free during longer storage periods is definitely a good idea. The user manual for my cam actually recommends leaving the housing lid unlocked when not using the cam for extended time periods.

The alternating routine might be a little over the top(well, look who's talkin':wink:), but keeping the O-ring pressure-free during longer storage periods is definitely a good idea. The user manual for my cam actually recommends leaving the housing lid unlocked when not using the cam for extended time periods.

I remove the oring for storage and keep them both in a ziplock. I just keep thinking about the old saying it is not a matter of if it will flood but when. If it does flood my wife will not be pleased when I buy a new one, on the other hand I would like to have something that shoots RAW.

Insure it! If State Farm writes insurance locally, ask about their Personal Articles policy. Great coverage, cheap, great claims service - they just decided I was too high risk after a few other claims. :blush: See Personal Insurance for Computers, Jewelry & More - State Farm'

When you buy a new camera, get a 3 year Extended Warranty that includes breakage & liquid damage: $700-1000 coverage for $194 at Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Protection Plans ? Electronic Insurance - or just cover the inside camera only for less.

Talk to your Homeowner's insurance company about listing it on a rider.

I have little pity for people who lose their cameras at sea without insurance. Some, but not much. I am a real klutz but have never dropped one or flooded one. Yeah, it can happen to anyone, and I have screwed up strobes - but insurance is available. :thumb:

I love SeaLife products. I've had a DC500, DC600, DC1200 and now a DC1400. Okay, I forgot to clip the DC500 and the camera fell out into
the water bucket. Had a problem with first DC600 seizing up underwater. SeaLife offered a 'patch' but when that didn't work, they sent me a
new camera...no charge. No problems with digital video light and 2 flash strobes....well, come to think of it, my older strobe's on/off button
would not stay in place. SeaLife replaced the magnet inside for free. Great service. No extra charges, no problems. The DC1400 is their best
camera yet...the resolution is awesome for close ups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom