Hyperventilation/ Short Breathes in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSmith

Registered
Reaction score
This last weekend while dive in fresh water with a temp below the thermo-clime of ~48 degrees F with a 7mm wet suit on, I experienced un controlled rapid breathing. I was pretty cold just before the incedent, and then removed my mask. When the cold water hit my face, I started uncontrolable short breathes. I tried to focus and regain control of my breathing, but could not do so until I got above the therm-clime. Though I'm a newer diver, I've never had a problem with this before. Giving up my mask in trainning/ practice drills has never caused me undue stress before.

Was the involuntary rapid/shallow breathing I was experiencing a result of my being so cold?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Greg in CT.

It can be.. another effect can be a severe contraction of the larynx... Not good under the best of conditions but even worse for a diver breathing compressed gas at depth. This is in large part the reason many cold water drowning victims have little or no fluid in thier lungs when recovered, it can also be a big factor in resuscitation (cases over 30 minutes on record...)

Some agencies teach "kissing the water" a term coined by Butch Hendricks from Life Guard Systems. Basically the diver acclimates to the water temperature prior to the dive by breathing the second stage or a snorkle with thier face submerged for a few minutes before entering the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom