Hyperstretch vs. Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to thank all of you for your quick response and suggestions. Just to elaborate on a couple of points that were brought up. My wife is not in the 1% body fat catagory, although I thinks she remembers a time long ago when that was the case. She just gets cold easily even in summer. There is no 80 degree water in the NW that I know of except in the bathtub where she would actually practice her mask removal years ago for her open water cert.. I was talking about when we go to the Carribean. She actually wears a 3mil hooded vest under her 3mil hyperstretch fullsuit with a 3mil shorty over that. I know, but like Mike said some people just get cold. At home she wears a drysuit and is quite comfortable. I just think the problem arises with the hyperstretch that after a couple of dives it becomes baggy and there is a lot of water movement inside which is making her cold. We just got back from Roatan and Utila and after 39 dives there the suit was getting very loose. Hdtran I would like to hear more about your Aquaflite as I have been giving them a look and thinking about one of there custom suits for her with the oceanliner lining.

aquamann:
I want to thank all of you for your quick response and suggestions. Just to elaborate on a couple of points that were brought up. My wife is not in the 1% body fat catagory, although I thinks she remembers a time long ago when that was the case. She just gets cold easily even in summer. There is no 80 degree water in the NW that I know of except in the bathtub where she would actually practice her mask removal years ago for her open water cert.. I was talking about when we go to the Carribean. She actually wears a 3mil hooded vest under her 3mil hyperstretch fullsuit with a 3mil shorty over that. I know, but like Mike said some people just get cold. At home she wears a drysuit and is quite comfortable. I just think the problem arises with the hyperstretch that after a couple of dives it becomes baggy and there is a lot of water movement inside which is making her cold. We just got back from Roatan and Utila and after 39 dives there the suit was getting very loose. Hdtran I would like to hear more about your Aquaflite as I have been giving them a look and thinking about one of there custom suits for her with the oceanliner lining.

Mike,

I understand now re: 80°F water... I looked at your location, and my reaction was, "what volcano are they diving in in Oregon/Washington :D"

In general, the hooded vest should be over the wetsuit, not under. The custom 5mm suits that we have from Aquaflite fit very well. We do have the Oceanliner lining. If you wait three weeks then PM me, I'll give you a full report on how warm they are and how well they perform (see countdown :wink: ). As an initial report, I will say that they fit like a glove, and are very easy to put on (not like OJ Simpson's glove at all).

hdtran:
Mike,

I understand now re: 80°F water... I looked at your location, and my reaction was, "what volcano are they diving in in Oregon/Washington :D"

In general, the hooded vest should be over the wetsuit, not under. The custom 5mm suits that we have from Aquaflite fit very well. We do have the Oceanliner lining. If you wait three weeks then PM me, I'll give you a full report on how warm they are and how well they perform (see countdown :wink: ). As an initial report, I will say that they fit like a glove, and are very easy to put on (not like OJ Simpson's glove at all).

Great, can't wait to hear how they perform.

My first wet suit was a Henderson Hyperstretch and I loved it at first. Easier to get on, it actually FIT when other suits did not etc. My only problem with it is that the neoprene seems to break down and compress rather quickly so my 7/5 suit quickly became a 5/3 suit and then to who know what on certain parts now (I swear the upper arms must be about a 2 now). Different neoprenes can be of different quality and break down faster. Perhaps this is part of the problem. Yes, the suit does stretch and become thinner but I did not have a problem when my suit was new just as it began to break down and get thinner overall as the air bubbles within the neoprene broke down giving less and less insulation did I start to get cold in it.
I agree that wearing a skin under it is a great alternative provided it is one of the thicker skins that will actually give you some warmth, I use one myself and it does help. I also agree that the core warmers are a great option as well and they give you more diving options. Otherwise go with a 5 mil suit for added warmth without the thickness of a 7 mil and then again a skin could always be worn under that as well.

I would just like to mention that Henderson is not the only company that makes "stretch" wetsuits... almost all the major brands have them now (except maybe Akona). I have a 7mm Scubapro Everflex that is not as stretchy as Hendersons but very comfortable, easy to get on, and very very warm- hardly any water exchange at all. I havent had any issues with it stretching out or becoming loose. It also doesnt snag on velcro as easily as the Henderson. They also have a 5mm Everfelx which I am thinking about getting because I am also one of those women that get cold in 80 degree water (got cold by dive 3 in Cozumel wearing 3mm fullsuit + hood).

A couple of things I didn't notice said.

A 3mm hooded vest is a nice vest and only a thin hood.
If it's not glued as well as stitched, that will make it even colder. I have a Henderson Gold Seal 5/3 hooded vest that is smoking warm! It's made to go on under the suit, as are most vests. This could make a big difference and let her keep the same suit.

I have a 7/5 Hyperstretch that has held up really well over 3 years, except for the pilling.

Gold Seal suits are also very stretchy, but not quite the same as Hyperstretch, and they fit very well too. A 5mm GS is glued whereas a 3mm is not.

The new Instadry suit is glued in the 3mm model too, and stretchier than my GS. My sample is real warm, especially in the wind, where others are not. They should be out pretty soon, hopefully.

Old stiff neoprene suits will certainly last longer than these new comfortable, good fitting materials... but I wouldn't want to wear them anymore!

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom