Hyperstretch vs. Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquamann

Registered
Reaction score
Well here's a question for those of you wiser than I. My wife gets cold in 80degree water wearing her 3mil hyperstretch with her 3mil hooded vest. She is thinking about getting a 7mil but would feel silly donning a suit like that in that climate. I have a theory that the hyperstretch looses some of its thermal properties by stretching the way it does thus becoming thinner. I don't think this is the case with neoprene and that a suit of the same thickness would actually stay warmer and that she would be able to achieve the same results in a 5mil in neoprene vs. a 7mil in hyperstetch. What do you think, am I all wet.

aquamann:
Well here's a question for those of you wiser than I. My wife gets cold in 80degree water wearing her 3mil hyperstretch with her 3mil hooded vest. She is thinking about getting a 7mil but would feel silly donning a suit like that in that climate. I have a theory that the hyperstretch looses some of its thermal properties by stretching the way it does thus becoming thinner. I don't think this is the case with neoprene and that a suit of the same thickness would actually stay warmer and that she would be able to achieve the same results in a 5mil in neoprene vs. a 7mil in hyperstetch. What do you think, am I all wet.

Yes, you sacrifice warmth for the sake of stretchiness. 7mm seems a little excessive for 80 degree water though, I would try a 5mm farmer john (2 pc) instead. That should be easily rentable vs. possibly wasting money on the wrong thickness suit.

Henderson also makes the Gold Core suits, which are warmer than regular neoprene. You could try one of those as well. I have my own insulation so I prefer the easy on/off from the hyperstretch more than I miss that tiny bit of warmth.

I would definetly agree that stretching the Hendersons would cause them to lose thickness ie warmth. Either try a brand that has more sizes in the 3mm like BARE, so the suit fits well w/o the the stretch or as sugessted get a 5mm.

Paul

aquamann:

Custom-fitted is reputedly just as comfortable as hyperstretches, but warmer (as they do not need to stretch as much). That said, you cannot, say, do a split in a custom fit whereas you might be able to do a split in a hyperstretch. (I am totally unable to do a split, whether in a hyperstretch, a regular suit, in a speedo :11:, or in the Spanish Inquisition rack)

Your spousal unit might consider a 5mm custom-fit. Better yet, you might consider giving your spousal unit a 5mm custom-fit as a present :D (We have Aquaflites)

Remember, one of the key to warmth (besides the hood) is to minimize water exchange. A custom-fit suit or a hyperstretch, because they fit better, will have less water exchange than a "regular." You might also consider wrist & neck seals. Also, wear the hood over the wetsuit, not under. I know it looks dorky, but that's the way it's supposed to go, so the water goes over the suit, not under.

p.s. Where do you find 80 degree water in the Great Northwest???

I'm in agreement with the earlier replies, re: 5 mil, regular vs. hyperstretch, hoods, etc.
I believe that all the posts contain good advice.

One thing not mentioned: Whatever suit keeps your wife warm and comfortable on a dive, is what she should wear. ( I speak as a warm water wimp.) :)

If the other people on the dive don't understand that, well.... (I'll be polite here) "too bad" for them.

Take care,
Mike

Sounds as though the little woman is in that 1% body fat category. If that's the case I would suggest going dry-suit.

If she is going to ever be diving in waters colder than 80 degrees, and I'm sure she will be, then she will fall into the 7mm wet-suit category and so much range of motion and straight out comfort is lost, not to mention the extra weight that needs to be carried with those heavy wet-suits it just seems silly not to be dry and comfortable.

When you are diving in 70 to 75 degree water on vacation you want to enjoy yourself and not have to fight a 7mm wet-suit. Let's face it, you are probably going to be in water less than 80 degrees a lot more often then not.

I know several people that won't take their dry-suits off unless the water approaches 83 t0 85, just because they are so skinny they can't stay warm otherwise.

It's food for thought anyway. Good Luck.

aquamann:

I own a 5 mm Henderson Hyperstretch and have just done 35 dives over 2 weeks in Indonesia in 80 degree water--very comfortably. I don't generally get *that* cold, but the hyperstretch 5 mm is more like a standard neoporene 3 mm because there is more water exchange. Also a hyperstretch that fits like a glove dry when you buy it gets a whole lot baggier when it's wet than standard neoporene, so subsequent dives in a damp wetsuit let even more water in initially. I wish mine were a size smaller.

Now, what I do when I want more thermal protection with my Henderson Hyperstretch is to layer a Radiator titanium-lined full-length skin underneath. This keeps the water from washing over my skin without adding bulk. Personally, in cooler water I'd go with the Hyperstretch and a thinner (easier to don) neoporene layered under it rather than a bulkier single 7 mm Hyperstretch or even a 5 mm neoporene wetsuit that I have to struggle into.

My wife has a 3mm hyperstretch and when she gets cold she puts on a 3mm hyperstretch core warmer. If she likes the hyper this is a cheaper way to go, and you won't have to waste the 3mm full.Core warmer

I second the suggestion to try a core warmer, they really work well. On the other hand, I haven't found that my Henderson 3mm has that much water exchange and it keeps me just as warm as any regular 3mm suit I've worn. But I am pretty cold tolerant and wear my 3mm in 71 degree water with comfort...

I would go 5mill gold or silver core one piece... If you have the money go dry suit. Dry suit you can vary the temps greatly. I have a 5mill silver and it is almost hot for 80 degrees but it sounds like she would be comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom