Question Hydros Pro Rides up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
WoodyLompoc

WoodyLompoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife has a Hydros Pro that constantly rides up. The BCD is a Woman's Small and seems to be adjusted properly at the surface. On entering the water, with very little air in the bladder, it floats up, with the shoulder straps several inches above her shoulders. Even after being fully deflated at depth, she has to constantly has to pull the unit down.

Does anyone know of any adjustment that can be made? She tried to adjust waist band, sternum strap, shoulder strap length, but nothing helps. She also tried to remove the weight pockets and she dove with the travel harness, but it did not help either.

Has anyone attached a crotch strap to a Hydros? Did it help?

Thanks

Scubapro says there is a mount bar on the lower lumbar region of the back plate.... But as I mentioned, my wife used it, not I, although I don't recall there being a lot too it, and it must of either came with her Hydros, or she just grabbed one at the dive shop, which I would assume would have been just the default Scubapro crotch strap if so...

Any pictures please?

from the webpage:

1648221690010.png

Scubapro says there is a mount bar on the lower lumbar region of the back plate.... But as I mentioned, my wife used it, not I, although I don't recall there being a lot too it, and it must of either came with her Hydros, or she just grabbed one at the dive shop, which I would assume would have been just the default Scubapro crotch strap if so...
There is mos def a slot to install a crotch strap at the bottom of the rubbery backplate. Mos Def.

Looking to buy a Hydros pro soon... I'm 6'2 and 220 pounds, wondering if L will be big enough or if I should go to XL?

@Tegridy - Large Hydros will be fine for you. I briefly had one and am the same build. Just be aware the whole modular/replaceable/configurable aspects that SP attributes to the Hydros are trying to duplicate the things that makes a backplate and wing so popular. However, a BP/W can be had for less than half the price. (I just wish I knew BP/Ws existed before buying the Hydros.) If your mind is made up, though, Large is the call.

@Tegridy - Just be aware the whole modular/replaceable/configurable aspects that SP attributes to the Hydros are trying to duplicate the things that makes a backplate and wing so popular. However, a BP/W can be had for less than half the price. (I just wish I knew BP/Ws existed before buying the Hydros.) If your mind is made up, though, Large is the call.

My experience is totally the opposite. I had been using a BP/W prior to trying the Hydros (recreational diving) and I switched to the Hydros (almost 100% of time) for my recreational diving. The Hydros is so much more comfortable, adjustable, customizable and simpler to use and faster to put on. A BP/W kit isn't any less expensive if one adds the accessories the Hydros has by default. Hydros is noticeably easier to adjust for proper fit first time and especially when changing wetsuit thickness.

My experience with the Hydros Pro was pretty good too. I’ve been diving a Halcyon bc for the last 13 years or so. When a bunch of Scubapro people came down to dive with us for some pictures for their next catalog I grabbed one the bosses Hydros Pro to use as I was the dive guide for those dives and was best to be using all SP gear of course. My first thought/concern was actually the lack of a crotch strap and how it’d perform in that regard, I was surprised it did not ride up at all on me, the rubber material did what it advertises it do, and that was without all the large rubber panels of the weight pockets, since I removed them and used the travel straps, the bc was pretty comfortable to dive with.

Looking to buy a Hydros pro soon... I'm 6'2 and 220 pounds, wondering if L will be big enough or if I should go to XL?

I'm 6' 1", 220 lbs and wear a large hydros pro. It's plenty big enough with lots of extra room that could accommodate a larger person. I wouldn't go XL.

Back
Top Bottom