Question Hydros Pro - Floatation Position on the Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeelsonGraham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I’m new/returning to diving after a VERY long pause. I learned to dive using manually inflated horseshoe life jackets (!) so all modern BCDs are, to me, a vast improvement.

However, I don’t like the bulk of jacket styles when underwater, but I do like the way they hold you upright on the surface in a very stable position. I’m seriously considering a Hydros Pro, it fits me like glove and immediately felt right when trying it on in the shop. But I’ve read that wing style BCDs tend to tip you forward when on the surface. Is this an issue with the Hydros Pro?

Hi all,

I’m new/returning to diving after a VERY long pause. I learned to dive using manually inflated horseshoe life jackets (!) so all modern BCDs are, to me, a vast improvement.

However, I don’t like the bulk of jacket styles when underwater, but I do like the way they hold you upright on the surface in a very stable position. I’m seriously considering a Hydros Pro, it fits me like glove and immediately felt right when trying it on in the shop. But I’ve read that wing style BCDs tend to tip you forward when on the surface. Is this an issue with the Hydros Pro?

Its neither an issue with the hydros pro or any other back inflate type buoyancy compensator.

If you are used to wraparound jacket style setups, it may take a dive or two to figure out and be comfortable with back inflate/wing type BCs. After those couple of dives you will most likely find that you can atain and maintain horizontal trim easier during your dives and that you have no problems on the surface with tipping in any direction.

The hydros pro is an expensive piece of kit and there are a lot of other less expensive options available that are not so "proprietary". Use this purchasing endeavor to scope out and/or test out some of the market offerings.

-Z

It’s a non issue and comes up all the time because it fits well into the immigration but not the reality.

I have and use the Hydros Pro extensively for my recreational diving. It is a great BC and no issues with it at all. Go ahead and never look back.

The "back inflates tip you forward at the surface" statements do have some credence to them. They were not just something made up. However, it is from people who did not know what they were doing with them and treated them like a jacket style BCD.

A jacket style BCD can be fully inflated to the point that the OPV lets gas out. As a diver, it does nothing to how you are at the surface other than maybe squeezing the crap out of you. This habit of over-inflating a bcd is common.

When people switch to back inflate, they do what they know and that is to over inflate. At that point, yes it will tip you forward a little. But let some air our, lean back and relax. There really is no need to be fully inflated with a single cylinder.

It is the most comfortable you will ever be on the surface.

Thank you all for those really useful insights. I did wonder if tipping forward was caused by over inflation.

I have and use the Hydros Pro routinely. It is not hard to find a comfortable position on the surface. The Hydros is superior to the jackets in every regard except: pockets (which no one really needs) and price (it is expensive for what you get).

In hindsight, I would have gotten something more cost effective, but I wouldn't be able to get something as good for the money I would get selling my Hydros used. I will be using (and enjoying) it as my single tank solution until it wears out.

It may not be as overpriced outside the US.

Tipping forward is caused by operator error with any back inflate; overweighting and poor weight distribution, along with overinflation, are what cause the phenomena.

Echoing others in that over-inflation is the only time I’ve ever noticed it pushing me forward. Three of us in the family have a Hydros Pro and have no complaints other than it being significantly overpriced.

No issues either on the surface or below.

Attachments

• P2230653.jpeg
    P2230653.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 22
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom