hydrophobic and new to it all seeking advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detox

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I just signed up for this forum recently to seek out some advice. I have been hydrophobic for a while now since I was forced under once as a child. Now age 27 I'm ready to overcome those fears. I have taken two swimming classes before and still feel quite anxious in the water. I cant swim much at all. Recent trips have brought be snorkeling with a life vest and I have a a blast minus the hyper ventilating. THis past vacation brought me into cancun where I was able to snorkel more and take an introductory dive class but the trip out was cancelled due to rough winds. I am considering getting certified but am not sure whether to go to with Naui or PADI. I also realize that I need to now learn to swim and get over my phobias by taking perhaps a swimming class. Does anyone have any advise as to which steps to take first and how comfortable I need to be in the water before I should consider certifications? I am psyched to do this I am just nervous. Thanks in advance for all the advice

My best advice is this:

I have dove for 25 years(Oh my God, I can't believe it's been that long). I can hold my breath for almost 5 minutes. I have snorkeled to 80 feet holding my breath. I have done so many dives that I can't even remember. I am at peace being under or in water.

But still, if I haven't dove for a while, I still get a little anxious when I go under with scuba. I have a little anxiety.....just a little...perhaps it's excitement. It lasts only a minute and I just think my way through it and then........ahhhh.......and then I never want to come up. Scuba diving isn't "normal"and even some more experienced divers have some anxiety/excitement.

And then there's positive reinforement-my central tennant in life. You had a bad experience in the water when you were a child. Always create situations where you will have good experiences. In this way you will associate water with good feelings not bad ones.

Finally: NAUI, PADI. You play, you pay.

You probably can get certified without learning to swim. You just have to be able to tread water for an extended length of time to get through the water treading test that is part of the class. But I don't think it's a good idea to dive if you are not completely comfortable in the water. I can't imagine a non-swimmer being completely comortable in a current or in heavy surge. You will encounter these conditions if you dive. And if you dive locally you will have to deal with heavy currents AND low visibility. The waters off of Long Island are not hospitable to non-swimmers.

You did well snorkelling, but you were wearing a vest. How well would you have done without it? Divers wear a BC which can provide flotation when needed. But that device can fail. There are also emergency situations in which it may become necessary to remove that device.

If you are serious about wanting to dive you should be able to handle yourself in an emergency situation. That means knowing how to swim.

It's not hard really. Your positive experiences snorkeling have prepared you to learn to relax and have fun in the water. Get to a gym or a ymca. (There are plenty in Manhattan.) Take a class. Take another one if the first doesn't do the trick. Keep at it until you are comfortable propelling yourself through the water. You don't need to have perfect form.

I'm in NY and I would be happy to discuss local dive shops with you in private, if you wish.

Learn to swim. Learn to enjoy the water without anxiety. Swim as often as you can. Get stronger in the water. Learn to enjoy being under water without SCUBA.

You can eventually be a diver, but I think you need to be happy in the water first.

Best wishes on conquering your fears,

TwoBit

Thank you call for all the wonderful advice. I'm going to tak a beginners class at asphalt green aquacenter in nyc then hopefully by march when I take my next carriberrean vacation I can think about certification
ec

Learn to swim. Don't be shy... start with an adult beginner's class & work your way up until you are comfortable and competent in the water.

You probably can get certified without learning to swim. You just have to be able to tread water for an extended length of time to get through the water treading test that is part of the class.

To my knowledge ALL agencies have both a swimming AND floating/water treading component to their watermanship requirements. I know PADI certainly does!

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...

To my knowledge ALL agencies have both a swimming AND floating/water treading component to their watermanship requirements. I know PADI certainly does!

~SubMariner~

Yeah, I had to swim several hundred yards to get my SSI OW card. It didn't have to be fast or pretty. But I did have to go the distance. I totally forgot about that.

I had swimming lessons as a child, but gave up before I was able to swim well or confidently. I didn't really learn to swim properly until I joined a Masters (adult) swimming club in my early 20s. I still remember the first swim I did in open water... it was such a buzz! Previously I would never have gone out of my depth or away from the shore. I'm sure it's easier to learn to swim as a child, but it's immensely satisfying to do it as an adult... you really appreciate what you're achieving. So, go for it!

On a more relevant note, when I started diving I wasn't in great shape and hadn't done much swimming for several years. Making the effort to get back into the pool and swim some laps made me feel a lot more confident about being in the ocean... so I agree with those who say you need to work on your swimming before you start diving.

Zept

Detox, let me add my 2 cents.
Yes to joining a swimming class. In the mean time, get used to being in the water. Start at the shallow end where you can stand up. Spend time here. Practice floating, paddling around, and if you become anxious just stand up. Be patient and wait until you find that comfort zone where you have no need to stand. Then work your way to the deeper parts of the pool. Again, take your time. This must not be a traumatic proccess or it will be counter-productive. What you will learn is your body naturally floats and you can remain on the surface no matter the depth of water below you. Don't be shy. Ask for help. You will find many people that will be more than happy to help you. Get comfortable in the pool, so you can go on to step two.
Step two is open water. The previous threads have not mentioned this. Some who are comfortable in a pool environment are less comfortable in a lake or ocean. It is not a controlled environment. Use the same proccess you did in the pool to help you get used to this. Again, be patient. Ask for help. Find that comfort zone. Only then would I suggest you go for your cert.
This poccess will take time. Please don't rush it. Remember the good things that come out of each session, so the next one can build on that. What you accomplished, how well you did, how good you felt when you could take care of yourself in the water with no assistance are the things that will help you overcome your fear. Good luck.

Jetwrench
P.S. I speak from a little experience: advanced life saving, water safety instructor, 10 yrs competitive swimming, swim team coach, rescue diver

I know its a world now that everyone can go everything...so let me be the bad guy and say it....

diving might not be for you. it would be a shame to find out by killing yourself or some poor unknowing buddy. give this some real thought. i would love to climb mount everist....aint gonna happen.

the above was offered in an attempt to touch reality! thank you

Back
Top Bottom