hydrophobic and new to it all seeking advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detox: I both agree and disagree with the above post. Diving is NOT ofr everyone. However, it doesn't hurt to try, and how will you know it's not for you if you don't try it? All the above suggestions for gaining comfort in the water are great. If you find that you are comfortable and enjoy diving, then congratulations!, If not, at least yo gave it your best shot, and it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, would it? Personally I applaude your willingness to face your fears and try to overcome them. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Chickdiver
Naui Instructor

As far as your fear of water goes.....I dealt with the same thing.

I wasn't a huge fan of water. There were a few likes I would swim in, but every time I got out deeper I would always get kinda freaked when I started thing about what was below me...the thought of falling overboard on a boat would just freak me out beyond all belief. I didn't go into many bodies of water that I wasn't familiar with.

So what did I do...I signed up for diving. I couldn't sleep the night before my first OW checkout dives. I got to the lake...and just braced myself. I got in the water...breathed hard...took a look around....and just relaxed. I was at peace...amazed...

My fear of water came from not being able to see anything in the water while I was swimming in it. But, beyond under the water being able to see everything is a WHOLE 'nother story. I am happy to just be underwater nowdays, just breathing off my regulator. It's amazing how you get a different perspective with scuba.

Just try it - I know you'll like it.

Wow! I def. applaud you. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a phobia....then turn and face it like that. The closest thing to a phobia that I could even relate to is dropping my keys in the storm drain (I don't think there is a name for that one..)

I would def. take the swimming classes. Not only does it better prepare you for all situations in diving, it also opens up a whole new world of fun. I don't really know what I would do if I didn't have the enjoyment of the water.

Good luck to you!

I'm glad I did it :)

Now, the only thing I have to get over are those dang spiders....I hate those things.

I would recommend a book to help you with your phobia.

It is called The Art of Swimming by Steven Shaw. You can order it through Amazon. The book approaches swimming from a somewhat different perspective, with the emphasis of interaction with the water as a means to overcome psychological barriers to feeling at home in the water, breathing techniques as well as learning to actually enjoy the water.

Steven Shaw has actually founded the "Shaw Method" of swimming instruction, utilizing the Alexander Technique, which has found a wide following in the UK as well as the middle east, but I have not heard much about it in the U. S.

You can check his website at:

www.artofswimming.com

scubamax

I Know the feeling.People think that because I grew up in Newfoundland i should Know how to swim,well I lived by an airport and I cant fly either.lol.
I was 33 before I did my open water and I can relate almost having drowned more than once as a child.
People put to much emphises on the swim test.I made my 16 laps on my back drinking half the poool.There were 3 people on the deck who I trusted to keep me alive so there is really no need to fear anything.Just do your best.
I personally find that if I have an air source I'm OK but that took a little hyperventalating and some time to get over.
You may even fear what your reactions may be while in open water to surprises.In my case I thought I'd swallow my reg but as it turned out that wolf fish didn't phase me.It's like being at peace with the universe.
Bottom line is if you trust the people you are diving with then you should be alright.
PS. I'm now on my rescue course so time and experience do count for alot you'll get better over time.

Good Luck
Have fun

I'm sorry, I don't have the time to read the whole thread, but do you have in America those classes for people with water-traumas, who can't swim and have aquaphobia ?

It's very common here in France. Might help you :)

DETOX, I had the same thing happen to me as a kid. I never learned to swim until one day when I joined the Navy! I learned to swim when they told me to jump in. After that, I spent every chance I could snorkling in four to six feet of water. Eventually I started to swim under the surface with a mask and had no trouble making the step to diving. I also found my fear was not knowing what was below me and since I could see the bottom, my fear was gone.

It has been enough said about swimming lessons. I can just add that you can try swimming with the snorkel in a pool and then in open water. That gives you easy way to see under the water, to breath continuously and swim without overworking yourself trying to stick a head above the surface. Then you can try to do that without a snorkel. Don't do that on a deep side.
Training is everything.
I feel very confident in and under the water but train myself every week in a pool to dive without scuba, to hold my breath, to do some activities on the bottom on one breath. That gives me more confidence.

I think you're on the right track facing your fears and such...way to go!
Some basic knowledge of swimming is essential for emergency situations, but being a fish in the water definately is not a requirement. After competitively diving since I was 6, you'd think getting on a pair of fins and diving could be second nature...but wasn't. My boyfriend is the opposite...he's still uncomfortable in the water, but give him his scuba equipment and he's a fish! I thought that was ironic but have since met a few divers who feel the same way. What I'm saying is if you really want to dive and feel comfortable doing it, you don't have to be a master swimmer to enjoy it. Good luck!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom