HydroOptix Mask-Anyone tried it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zuzanne

Contributor
Reaction score
Only time I wear my contacts is for diving/snorkeling. Has anyone tried this mask? How well does it really work for people like me who have trouble seeing up close? Distance vision is not problem. My contacts are +1.75 multifocal. Also what is the approximate cost for the mask? Their website doesn't give that info.

Zuzanne

:06:

Not to shine you off, but there are numerous threads on this very topic on the board. Even though it's a pain-in-the-***, I have the mask and use it - my eyesight is -6.5 uncorrected. You will pay anywhere from $130 to $199 for the mask, plus you'll need whatever contacts adjust you to -4.5. The website can refer you maybe to someone near you who can go over the salient details with you.

I am farsighted with about the same need for reading correction as you. I purchased the Dive Optx stick on lenses with 2.0 diopter and intalled them in my mask two years ago. They work great for me. For example see: http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/DiveOptixStickOnBifocal.asp They are widely available via the internet in the United States.

I use DiveOptix and find they work quite well. I got a pair for about $40 from my LDS. After a quick search on the internet I was able to save alot of money by ordering a new pair from Safety Glasses USA Inc. for $8.95. The Optix 20-20 I ordered are not marketed as a scuba mask accessory but appear to be the same. My shipment should arrive tomorrow.
I've read that it's best to avoid soaking your mask in the fresh-water bucket on the boat. Though I've done it without problem I'm now going to avoid the long soak.
I like the $8.95 price.
Rex

First of all, this is the coolest looking mask on the market bar none. My only issue is that I have always had 20/20 vision and I am just not sure I can become comfortable with putting contacts in my eyes just to dive. Now that I am getting wet about weekly...I am considering it but for the life of me I don't see how you can put contacts in!!! It freaks me out!

Are there any 20/20 vision guys out there who have done this?

I have 20/20 also, but I'm thinking of getting Lasik to screw up my eyes enough so I can wear the mask!:wink:

Good thing I went to dema and found out they are coming out with a mask for folks with 20/20 vision... might be a bit, but they had the prototypes at the show, so I guess I'll hold off having a guy wave a laser around in my eye for now.

I never did contacts with it, but just playing with it in the pool, everything is very blurry, but gee, do you get an awesome field of vision! I'm another guy who just can't bring myself to put stuff in my eyes.... I'll wait for the new version.

Tom Winters graciously loaned me his a year ago or so. I have to say it was great as far as correcing my vision went. I was in that magic zone where I required no contacts underwater to get perfect u/w vision. It also opened up my peripheral vision.

I have not bought one though. I like a low volume mask (the Hydroptix is anything but) and so far diving with contacts has not been a big problem for me. The gadget freak in me likes it a lot, though.

scubatoys:
I have 20/20 also, but I'm thinking of getting Lasik to screw up my eyes enough so I can wear the mask!:wink:

Good thing I went to dema and found out they are coming out with a mask for folks with 20/20 vision... might be a bit, but they had the prototypes at the show, so I guess I'll hold off having a guy wave a laser around in my eye for now.

I never did contacts with it, but just playing with it in the pool, everything is very blurry, but gee, do you get an awesome field of vision! I'm another guy who just can't bring myself to put stuff in my eyes.... I'll wait for the new version.

Thanks for the info Larry. Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you Saturday. Got hung up with way too much stuff that anyone should have to do on a Saturday. I will certainly be calling tomorrow.

Since you have seen the Proto's, do they look the same with different optics in the glass or are they completely different?

I use the Hydro-optix Mega mask quite a bit and I really see the diffence in vision. The contacts aren't the problem. They're pretty easy to deal with. The biggest issue really is your distorted topside vision when you have the contacts in for the "relatively" short U/W time. These masks retail for $200. They are quite nice. There are links on their website that can show you where your local dealers are. I sell them myself, but I'm on Maui, so, if you want to come on over for a test dive....well, I can hook you up.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom