Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a tank fails, the authorities cleaning up the mess will follow up with the hydro test facility to review the test record and verify it was in fact properly tested. They will not be concerned with the shop who completed the extra post hydro test VIP, but will pull the licence of a test facilty that blew a test or falsified the results.

I also find it easier to trust a hydro test facility that generates 100% of their business from tank testing and does scores of tanks per day as oposed to a dive shop with staff who took a one day VIP course and inspect a few tanks per day - if that many. Its the difference between "experts" and "self-proclaimed experts".

Test facilities test lots of steel medical O2 tanks and welding tanks and do not get concerned about normal flash rust. Makes sense given nearly 100 years of successful service history indicating it is not an issue.

Some dive shop staff on the other hand, seem to practically have a seizure if you bring in an "O2 clean" or even "Nitrox" tank with flash rust inside. It is very much a double standard and one that I find hard to tolerate when the shop objecting to flash rust is coincidentally charging $125 or more to tumble and re-clean a set of doubles.

Personally I tumble my own tanks when needed, rinse them and then immediately dry them while inverted using air from a scuba tank and flash rust is minimal. Hot water is not required and when comparing one against the other, I am of the opinion that a hot water rinse is no better and may in fact be worse as the elevated temp of the tank potentially accellerates the oxidation process as opposed to a cold tank that takes only slightly longer to blow dry. A couple minutes with a moderate flow rate will completely dry the tank.

A phosphoric acid solution can speed the rust removal process and finishing with an even milder phosphoric acid solution can add enough rust protection to eliminate flash rust, but it is basically not worth the trouble.

This line intrigues me. Do they really insist on doing an "anti corrosion tumble", whether the tank needs it or not, if it was hydroed elsewhere, or do you mean if corrosion is present.

If the former, then it's pretty funny. Like washing a clean car, on the theory it will keep it from ever getting dirty.

II don't know how common that is but one of the shops I do business with insisted on both a vis and an anti-corrosion tumble before they will fill a cylinder if a hydro was not done through them.

Arctic diver's experience reinforces my opinion about people who own/manage dive shops. Let us pray.

Arctic diver's experience reinforces my opinion about people who own/manage dive shops. Let us pray.

Amen, brother.

If one is available take the cylinder directly to the hydro facility.

Some dive shops will not only want to do a Vis after the hydro they may want to tumble the cylinder to remove corrosion. I don't know how common that is but one of the shops I do business with insisted on both a vis and an anti-corrosion tumble before they will fill a cylinder if a hydro was not done through them.

You have got to be kidding me???? OMG! Straight rip off. No reason at all to warrant unnecessary tumbling. My guess is they say they do the tumbling and they will not do it, but still charge you for it.

You have got to be kidding me???? OMG! Straight rip off. No reason at all to warrant unnecessary tumbling. My guess is they say they do the tumbling and they will not do it, but still charge you for it.

I ended up taking the cylinders to a different shop for their visual after they had their hydros.

Whether needed or not, I have no reason to challenge the owner's statement that the tumbling would be performed.

If a tank fails, the authorities cleaning up the mess will follow up with the hydro test facility to review the test record and verify it was in fact properly tested. They will not be concerned with the shop who completed the extra post hydro test VIP, but will pull the licence of a test facilty that blew a test or falsified the results.

I also find it easier to trust a hydro test facility that generates 100% of their business from tank testing and does scores of tanks per day as oposed to a dive shop with staff who took a one day VIP course and inspect a few tanks per day - if that many. Its the difference between "experts" and "self-proclaimed experts".

Test facilities test lots of steel medical O2 tanks and welding tanks and do not get concerned about normal flash rust. Makes sense given nearly 100 years of successful service history indicating it is not an issue.

Some dive shop staff on the other hand, seem to practically have a seizure if you bring in an "O2 clean" or even "Nitrox" tank with flash rust inside. It is very much a double standard and one that I find hard to tolerate when the shop objecting to flash rust is coincidentally charging $125 or more to tumble and re-clean a set of doubles.

Personally I tumble my own tanks when needed, rinse them and then immediately dry them while inverted using air from a scuba tank and flash rust is minimal. Hot water is not required and when comparing one against the other, I am of the opinion that a hot water rinse is no better and may in fact be worse as the elevated temp of the tank potentially accellerates the oxidation process as opposed to a cold tank that takes only slightly longer to blow dry. A couple minutes with a moderate flow rate will completely dry the tank.

A phosphoric acid solution can speed the rust removal process and finishing with an even milder phosphoric acid solution can add enough rust protection to eliminate flash rust, but it is basically not worth the trouble.

Exactly

It is common for tanks that Pass their Hydro testing to Fail their VIP, they are testing different things. A Hydro, VIP and Fill will all together cost like $60 at an LDS, and with all the running around from doing it your self will end up being more. With the volume that most LDS's send to the Hydro Testing Facilities they get a discount, and know that people can take them their themselves so they will mark up knowing this.

where does tis hate for LDS's come from?

where does tis hate for LDS's come from?

Give yourself time, it will come around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom