Hydro / Tumble Damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got this tank back from a hydro and a tumble.

Noticed this deep groove on the bottom down to bare steel.

What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_8167.jpeg
    IMG_8167.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 74
There's a few different brands, look for a zinc paint with like a 95-98% zinc content. The factory hot dip galvanization coat as a whole is what works to keep the tank from rusting, much like a sacrificial anode in a water heater, but a big scuff like that might get some minor surface rust. I use a very thin layer of that ZRC 95% zinc coating over the top of hydro stamps when they crack through the zinc coating. Not required there either, but its a little extra peace of mind on a tank that can possibly be passed down to the next generation with some basic care.

The circular gouge sucks though, that would bother me. The second door ding in a new car is always easier to stomach.

I'd take it up with the shop that screwed up...
This is what they said over email

“It looks like that groove is from a tumbler from a tumble done in the past. Our tumbler has a 2” plastic safe guard to protect the cylinders . In all honesty, that tank is fine. The bottom of a steel SCUBA cylinder is close to 4” thick, so no need to worry.”

This tank was born in 95’, hydro in 00 and then hydro last week.

They just don’t care.

“The bottom of a steel SCUBA cylinder is close to 4” thick”
That is not correct. the TOP of an AL tank is thick, but even that isn't anywhere close to 4". A 4" bottom of steel would weigh 25 lbs excluding the rest of the tank.

That gouge looks deeper than just the zinc plating getting scraped off.

That gouge looks deeper than just the zinc plating getting scraped off.
Agreed. Looks like it’s into the steel.

“It looks like that groove is from a tumbler from a tumble done in the past. Our tumbler has a 2” plastic safe guard to protect the cylinders . In all honesty, that tank is fine. The bottom of a steel SCUBA cylinder is close to 4” thick, so no need to worry.”
That sounds like the response of a shop I would no longer do any business with.

If it was from a tumble done in the past, I would have expected it to be noted before hand. I would also expect there to be some signs of rust in the groove. It looks freshly cut.

Agreed. Looks like it’s into the steel.

That sounds like the response of a shop I would no longer do any business with.

If it was from a tumble done in the past, I would have expected it to be noted before hand. I would also expect there to be some signs of rust in the groove. It looks freshly cut.
Without a hands on inspection, I can't be positive but it also might not have passed an annual visual inspection with that damage....

Steel or aluminum?

BTW, no way the bottom of either one is anywhere near 4" thick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom