Hydro Testing - Direct or LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an LP95 tank that is over 4 years from it's last hydro. It needs a visual as well. So do you guys recommend using one of the LDS or going direct to one of the local hydro facilities? I have a new tank that I want to switch the valve with and it will need a fill as well, so I'll probably go the LDS route. They have plenty of my money from last year as well so why change now! :shocked2: :D

BTW, if anyone is in the market for an LP95 tank with fresh hydro, new paint and a brand new valve, let me know. $250 firm.

For Steel Tanks I suggest going to Simplex Grinnell in Round Rock. They have a guy there that understands steel and will do his best to get you passed and plus rated if possible.

Going through the LDS may likely not have as good a result.

Silly follow up questions for you. Do the places that hydro tanks also fill them or do you have to go to the LDS for that? Also, does the hydro place put a visual sticker on it for you or do you have to get it done at the LDS?

I pick the tank up from hydro and take it over to the LDS for a vis and fill.

I'm curious though, did you get the other tank hydro'd? If so, was that not a good experience for you?

I mailed ordered a new HP120 tank. I couldn't get the LDS to give my any kind of price break. I hate to not support my LDS, but...I've bought lots of stuff from them anyways.

I want to switch the valves because I want the HP120 to have the Dive Rite DIN/Yoke valve I currently have on this LP95. So, I'm selling one of my LP95 tanks with a new hydro/vis/fill and a new valve.

Make sense?

I would agree with Simplex Grinnell. One thing you should take into consideration is the flash rusting after hydro on a steel tank. Some LDS will say it's good for Air only tanks, but I personally would not breathe off that tank. The water in those hydro tanks is fowl and nasty. I would pay the extra to have it removed.

wow a lot of avenues. for as little as it costs i would have the shop send it off for hydro, but i would not send the valve with the tank, expecially if you have a good report with the shop. if you do your own vis's then go direct. if you dont know the hydro shops then i would have the shop send it in and then find out the name of the shop for later reference. never know when the lds will close doors. i say that because the last hydro i got the tank came back with a pool of rust on 1/4 of the inside from not properly drying. i dont know how many tanks you have but i have 8 to 10 (various back gas and deco ect) and the cost of a psi cert is a cash saver (big time) considering i dont have to drive 50 to 100 to get a vis done and then pickup again. the 3 year cert pays for itself the first year. and i only do my own, so i am the only one to pay the price for an oversight if it occurs.

If it was my tank I would have it tumbled.

Back
Top Bottom